Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Update...the physical therapist thinks the occupational therapist can try transferring mom to the portable commode. He thinks moms legs are getting stronger, thank God.

The OT comes on Wednesday so we will see what she thinks.
Thank God indeed, I think that is amazing, keep us updated Debp,xx

Thinking of you both and praying that Mum goes from strength to strength, In Jesus Name!...Amen!!...xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds promising Depp - would be so much easier if there is a way of your mum getting up and sitting on the commode, although this is still hard work for you until your mum can help herself get up.
Yes, it would be easier.

Before mom's broken hip, I would place the portable commode by her bed or by the sofa if she was there.

If she was reclining on the sofa, I just had to help pull her up. Otherwise, she got on and off of the commode herself, and could sit back down on the sofa by herself.

Her appetite seems a bit better. She didn't want me to order the Glucerna milkshakes. But I got her more cottage cheese and she said she would eat some ham sandwiches on buns. She does eat her breakfast...waffle and bacon strip.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Took a break from writing lately.

Mom still not standing up on her own.

The physical therapist almost dropped her a few days ago....so I now changed her nightclothes to cotton rather than silky. He was trying to get her to walk about two steps. I guess her legs collapsed under her. I grabbed her, too, and called out to the Lord for help. Finally the PT got a hold of her again and got her back on the bed.

So the next day the occupational therapist only did exercises with mom on the bed.

They are coming back on Monday PT and Tuesday OT.

@Ritajanice @Rita Any tips about bowel movements in a bed bound patient? Mom thinks she has to go but doesn't seem able to in bed. So far when the PT put her on the portable commode, she did bowel movements then.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Depp
You mum is not actually incontinent so it could be a ‘ mind ‘ thing where she just doesn’t feel it’s right to go ( presuming you are talking about her wearing a pad in bed ) Also the body is in a slightly different position in bed. To be blunt when you are sitting on the toilet you can arch your back back and it straightens out the colon more, this sometimes helps to go.
I do know that sometimes rubbing someone’s tummy can help , but I only ever did this with someone sitting on a toilet who was struggling to go - it was just a tip from another carer.

Reactions: Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Took a break from writing lately.

Mom still not standing up on her own.

The physical therapist almost dropped her a few days ago....so I now changed her nightclothes to cotton rather than silky. He was trying to get her to walk about two steps. I guess her legs collapsed under her. I grabbed her, too, and called out to the Lord for help. Finally the PT got a hold of her again and got her back on the bed.

So the next day the occupational therapist only did exercises with mom on the bed.

They are coming back on Monday PT and Tuesday OT.

@Ritajanice @Rita Any tips about bowel movements in a bed bound patient? Mom thinks she has to go but doesn't seem able to in bed. So far when the PT put her on the portable commode, she did bowel movements then.
You can try laxatives Sis, the problem with that is, you must be ready and prepared for the action, she can’t sit on a bed pan can she?

You can also try natural laxatives, like prunes, I can’t remember the others, you could look online for advice..xx

I’m not a professional, I was only a health care assistant....xx

How often is she having her bowels open?xx...

If she is compacted in the bowel area, through lack of exercise, she may need a nurse to give her a suppository or enema xx

Ask the nurses about her bowel motions..she needs to go or she could get impacted with faeces ...which is unpleasant and uncomfortable.

Maybe you have asked Sis, I’m sorry, I may have missed it on the thread,xx

Last edited:
Reactions: Debp and Rita

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Depp
You mum is not actually incontinent so it could be a ‘ mind ‘ thing where she just doesn’t feel it’s right to go ( presuming you are talking about her wearing a pad in bed ) Also the body is in a slightly different position in bed. To be blunt when you are sitting on the toilet you can arch your back back and it straightens out the colon more, this sometimes helps to go.
I do know that sometimes rubbing someone’s tummy can help , but I only ever did this with someone sitting on a toilet who was struggling to go - it was just a tip from another carer.

You can try laxatives Sis, the problem with that is, you must be ready and prepared for the action, she can’t sit on a bed pan can she?

You can also try natural laxatives, like prunes, I can’t remember the others, you could look online for advice..xx

I’m not a professional, I was only a health care assistant....xx

How often is she having her bowels open?xx...

If she is compacted in the bowel area, through lack of exercise, she may need a nurse to give her a suppository or enema xx

Ask the nurses about her bowel motions..she needs to go or she could get impacted with faeces ...which is unpleasant and uncomfortable.

Maybe you have asked Sis, I’m sorry, I may have missed it on the thread,xx
Thanks to both of you for responding.

So last night she did do just a small amount of poo....it wasn't a turd, just some soft poo clinging to her. (She doesn't eat too much.) The PT, Peter, comes tomorrow and will put her on the portable commode.

No, she can't use a bedpan. I have a hard time with her even trying to get herself nearer to the headboard. When I cleaned and changed her after the poo, she slid down more away from the headboard! The PT will also lift her up nearer to the headboard before he leaves.

She only has had a bowel movement twice when the PT put her on the portable commode. Last time he came, she didn't need to go.

Reactions: Rita and Ritajanice

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update on mom.

She still cannot stand on her own but the PT and the OT are still working with her. I think she is getting a little stronger.

She also has bowels movements more often in her diaper/pad.

New prayer request: Please pray for her eye...skin and eye has been looking a bit red and it's been bothering her. It's the eye with basel cell cancer down in the tissue.

A couple of years ago I had her scheduled for eye surgery but her regular doctor wouldn't sign a release for her to have the surgery.

So we are just going day by day with God's help.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Update on mom.

She still cannot stand on her own but the PT and the OT are still working with her. I think she is getting a little stronger.

She also has bowels movements more often in her diaper/pad.

New prayer request: Please pray for her eye...skin and eye has been looking a bit red and it's been bothering her. It's the eye with basel cell cancer down in the tissue.

A couple of years ago I had her scheduled for eye surgery but her regular doctor wouldn't sign a release for her to have the surgery.

So we are just going day by day with God's help.
Thanks for the update , Debp, sounds like she’s recovering very slowly.

How’s her eye doing, as I noticed you posted this Sunday, how her appetite, has it improved?xx

Praying for her eye, that it’s more comfortable , that the redness has calmed down..xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the update , Debp, sounds like she’s recovering very slowly.

How’s her eye doing, as I noticed you posted this Sunday, how her appetite, has it improved?xx

Praying for her eye, that it’s more comfortable , that the redness has calmed down..xx
Hi, nice to see you back... you were missed.

Mom's eye is doing better... I've been washing it and told her not to touch it. Maybe she was feeling it too much.

Her appetite is still small. Last evening she said she didn't want to eat. I told her she had to eat something so she consented to a small chicken pot pie. I've been giving her half a glass of chocolate milk trying to get more calcium into her.

Some good news...when the physical therapist was here yesterday she seemed stronger in her legs while he held her up. So hopefully she can get strong enough so I can help her onto the portable commode in the future. (Been changing a lot of dirty diapers!)

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, nice to see you back... you were missed.

Mom's eye is doing better... I've been washing it and told her not to touch it. Maybe she was feeling it too much.

Her appetite is still small. Last evening she said she didn't want to eat. I told her she had to eat something so she consented to a small chicken pot pie. I've been giving her half a glass of chocolate milk trying to get more calcium into her.

Some good news...when the physical therapist was here yesterday she seemed stronger in her legs while he held her up. So hopefully she can get strong enough so I can help her onto the portable commode in the future. (Been changing a lot of dirty diapers!)
That sounds promising, Debp, ..does she wear glasses? I have to be careful with my eyes as I wear glasses , the part where it rests on my nose, if I forget to clean it, as I wear makeup, my eyes can get sore and even a nasty sore has come up, ..so, I make sure I clean those parts of my glasses daily...

Praying that she is able to stand soon, so that it makes life easier for you both, in Jesus Name, Amen!! Xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds promising, Debp, ..does she wear glasses? I have to be careful with my eyes as I wear glasses , the part where it rests on my nose, if I forget to clean it, as I wear makeup, my eyes can get sore and even a nasty sore has come up, ..so, I make sure I clean those parts of my glasses daily...

Praying that she is able to stand soon, so that it makes life easier for you both, in Jesus Name, Amen!! Xx
Mom only has reading glasses. But she isn't doing any reading so doesn't wear them.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mom only has reading glasses. But she isn't doing any reading so doesn't wear them.
Is your mother's eye in the healing process? When I had Lasix surgery on my eyes, the doctor had me wear a hard plastic "patch" that had ventilation holes in it. It prevented me from inadvertantly touching the eye. Touching the eye is especially risky when one is asleep. Anyway, the patch was taped around it's perimeter and stayed in place for the entire night. If it's something that might help you could maybe find one at a medical supply store or Amazon. This may not be relevant, but just a thought. God Bless you.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is your mother's eye in the healing process? When I had Lasix surgery on my eyes, the doctor had me wear a hard plastic "patch" that had ventilation holes in it. It prevented me from inadvertantly touching the eye. Touching the eye is especially risky when one is asleep. Anyway, the patch was taped around it's perimeter and stayed in place for the entire night. If it's something that might help you could maybe find one at a medical supply store or Amazon. This may not be relevant, but just a thought. God Bless you.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

She's not touching her eye as much since I told her not to and I clean her face. It has basel cell cancer deep in the tissue, inside lower lid.

She was scheduled for eye surgery a couple of years ago to try to remove most of the cancer but her regular doctor didn't approve her for surgery. The doctor thought she "might die on the table."

Now she had hip surgery on March 5.... still not standing on her own, the home agency therapists lift her up.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Bless you both...I pray she gets her strength back...was she mobile before the accident, Debp? xxx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bless you both...I pray she gets her strength back...was she mobile before the accident, Debp? xxx
Thanks much.

Before this hip surgery she was able to walk with her walker from the bedroom to the living room. Then she would recline on the sofa all day until I took her back to the bedroom at night.

Also, then she could use the portable commode which I placed by the sofa in the day and by her bedside at night. She just needed my help a little to rise from the sofa.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks much.

Before this hip surgery she was able to walk with her walker from the bedroom to the living room. Then she would recline on the sofa all day until I took her back to the bedroom at night.

Also, then she could use the portable commode which I placed by the sofa in the day and by her bedside at night. She just needed my help a little to rise from the sofa.
Praying that you both get back to those days, In Jesus Name! Amen!! Xx

Reactions: amadeus and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mom is weak and doesn't want to eat much. When the occupational and the physical therapists come to try to exercise her, she just wants to lay back down in the bed.

The PT does keep exercising her.... holding her up for 30 seconds at a time, trying to strengthen her legs.
But today the OT could only lift her onto the portable commode and then mom wanted to go back to the bed.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mom is weak and doesn't want to eat much. When the occupational and the physical therapists come to try to exercise her, she just wants to lay back down in the bed.

The PT does keep exercising her.... holding her up for 30 seconds at a time, trying to strengthen her legs.
But today the OT could only lift her onto the portable commode and then mom wanted to go back to the bed.
Praying for you both, Debp,xxx