Mormonism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormonism supports the idea of another gospel. If you look at the book of mormon there in bold letters it says "Another Gospel of Jesus Christ."

What happens when someone preaches another gospel?

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. - Galatians 1:8

And then Paul repeats himself...

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.- Galatians 1:9

What happens to the accursed???

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. - Jeremiah 17:5
For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. - Jeremiah 17:6

And where folks... And where did Joseph Smith and his entourage end up??? Salt Lake City Utah! A salt land and not inhabited!

Hammerstone... If this is breaking board rules in discussing mormonism please let us know.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

Here's a video of what Mormons believe.

Multiple goddess wives? What's wrong with that? :lol: (We old men have to have something to look forward to) :D

Seriously, I read the book of Mormon and I know the bible well. The book of Mormon either has stories in it about the Americas or prophetic type passages almost sounding like it was bible verses "cut and pasted" together. It came across as almost plagiarizing. Nevertheless, in all that I read, I saw nowhere in that book, nor in the bible where the Mormons get all that stuff from. I certainly would not pick it up from a straightforward reading of the bible nor the book of Mormon. Sometimes I think they twist their own book.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What good will come out of it?
[font="trebuchet ms]

I have heard references to mormonism on another thread and thought that I would pull this one out. I think it important for everyone to know the problems with mormonism and all the wacky ideas.

1. The book of mormon - It sounds cut and paste... Why not stick to the bible?
2. The angels - Where do we find Moroni and Nephi as angels in the bible?
[color="#ffffff"]___[/color]At least in Islam they had Gabriel as the deliverer of the Koran, which sounds a little more believable
___No Hebrew interpretation of the angelic names - Are these demonic spirits?
___And you've replaced the cross on your steeple with the angel of moroni?
3. How does this organization fit in with the seven churches?
___1. Ephesus - All the stuff outside the bible
___2. Smyrna - Not your true martyrs as Joseph Smith was attemping to kill as he was killed.
___3. Pergomos - Not your Orthodox church
___4. Thyatira - Definitely not Catholic
___5. Sardis - All protestants believe that the bible as the infallible and only word of God.
___6. Phildelphia - None of Wesley's methods here!
___7. Laodicea - Charismatic's are very uncomplicated in doctrine.
____I have asked the mormons this every time they visit. Which really gets them agitated by the way.
4. The Book of Mormon describes migrations of people from the Middle East to Central America. All unproven!
5. Just tons of wacky stuff here (Brother of Jared?)
6. The arch-angels: I believe the original three arch-angels as Michael, Gabriel, and Lucifer. As Lucifer took his third with him in rebellion left a void in heaven. We human beings I believe will fill that void. This is very much against the Mormon doctrine.

Not only for the good of ChristianityBoard.com but I am curious of the issues others have with mormonism as well. I think the mormons live a great lifestyle and there are a lot of good things to say about the people. But its just too 'out there' for me!

[/font]

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a lot of misinformation about Mormon doctrine out there......you really have to be careful about your sources. I've studied Mormonism for many years - including 3/4 books they considered to be scripture - much of their recent doctrine can be traced to Brigham Young - the second prophet, not their scripture. Doctrine and Covenants is a good place to learn about all their newer revelations.

Fawn Brodie (excommunicated after publishing book) wrote "No Man Knows My Name", a biography about Joseph Smith, which I thought was a pretty good book. PBS also created a documentary on Mormonism that is very informative - I think it is a Frontline and free to watch at www.frontline.com

[font="trebuchet ms]

I have heard references to mormonism on another thread and thought that I would pull this one out. I think it important for everyone to know the problems with mormonism and all the wacky ideas.

1. The book of mormon - It sounds cut and paste... Why not stick to the bible?
2. The angels - Where do we find Moroni and Nephi as angels in the bible?
[color="#ffffff"]___[/color]At least in Islam they had Gabriel as the deliverer of the Koran, which sounds a little more believable
___No Hebrew interpretation of the angelic names - Are these demonic spirits?
___And you've replaced the cross on your steeple with the angel of moroni?
3. How does this organization fit in with the seven churches?
___1. Ephesus - All the stuff outside the bible
___2. Smyrna - Not your true martyrs as Joseph Smith was attemping to kill as he was killed.
___3. Pergomos - Not your Orthodox church
___4. Thyatira - Definitely not Catholic
___5. Sardis - All protestants believe that the bible as the infallible and only word of God.
___6. Phildelphia - None of Wesley's methods here!
___7. Laodicea - Charismatic's are very uncomplicated in doctrine.
____I have asked the mormons this every time they visit. Which really gets them agitated by the way.
4. The Book of Mormon describes migrations of people from the Middle East to Central America. All unproven!
5. Just tons of wacky stuff here (Brother of Jared?)
6. The arch-angels: I believe the original three arch-angels as Michael, Gabriel, and Lucifer. As Lucifer took his third with him in rebellion left a void in heaven. We human beings I believe will fill that void. This is very much against the Mormon doctrine.

Not only for the good of ChristianityBoard.com but I am curious of the issues others have with mormonism as well. I think the mormons live a great lifestyle and there are a lot of good things to say about the people. But its just too 'out there' for me![/font]
[font="trebuchet ms]

[/font]
[font="trebuchet ms]Unfortunately, using Protestant criteria to prove Mormon doctrine false only proves that Mormons are not Protestant.....

[/font]

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, I find it a little humorous that the beginning of this topic starts out with a quote error. :unsure:

Rocky said:

"Mormonism supports the idea of another gospel. If you look at the book of mormon there in bold letters it says "Another Gospel of Jesus Christ.""

What the book really says is: "Another testament of Jesus Christ"

That effectively states it to be "another witness of Jesus Christ"

So Rocky it might be well to get a pair of good bifocals the next time you read. :D

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, I find it a little humorous that the beginning of this topic starts out with a quote error. :unsure:

Rocky said:

"Mormonism supports the idea of another gospel. If you look at the book of mormon there in bold letters it says "Another Gospel of Jesus Christ.""

What the book really says is: "Another testament of Jesus Christ"

That effectively states it to be "another witness of Jesus Christ"

So Rocky it might be well to get a pair of good bifocals the next time you read. :D

haha

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm sorry for killing the thread. I only wanted to know if that video was accurate of what Mormons really believe?

But I'' never know because no-one will tell me.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry for killing the thread. I only wanted to know if that video was accurate of what Mormons really believe?

But I'' never know because no-one will tell me.

Templar:

Do a youtube search on "Magic Mormon Underwear" and see what you get. As this is too 'way out there' for me I won't even post the link. There are many strange things going on here that they won't talk about. You would have to convert to Mormonism and maybe after a year or two you would get an inside look at what is going on.

I must cry at this point "None for me!" In which all these things do is add complexity to a gospel that is suppose to be so simple. I am not saying that these people will miss heaven over all the strange doctrinal things but for me it borders to close to the word 'cult.'

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:lol: Yeah right! If it is published on the internet it has to be correct, right?

Everything you see on "You tube" is always 100% right. There is no margin of error! :unsure: :rolleyes: :p :lol: :p :D :unsure:

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Only God will decide. I am with the Holy Bible I only learn, live, teach and preach Jeus Christ and him crucified and resuurected! That is where my salvation is birthed and founed upon. I do not need an angel I have the son of God, Jesus Christ! Who can be better?

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
The warning of those who edit the bible being accursed is surely for believers only?

Non-believers walking around in the dark being influenced by the devil...cannot be judged for they don't know any better.

I think it is better to have some Christian doctrine in a belief system as opposed to none.

So many muslims liked Jesus as a prophet and when they questioned more and more they fiind the truth.