Most accurate modern translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does that even mean? That God wasn't able to get a good translation made back then (1600's?)? That's sort of short changing God, isnt it?

I think you nay KJV people just done like the Shakesperian language.

Some of the other posts made me think about something else too. I had the Lord supernaturally change an NIV Bible that I had into a NKJV. That's a good testimony of mine and I have two witnesses that both can bear witness to that Bible was bought as a NIV bible. One witness bought it for me to match his translation so we could study on the phone when his wife wouldn't let him out, lol. And the other witness/friend walks in one day and says, NIV? Bad translation because it has many verses that are omitted out of it. And we bible studied for about an hour where he looked up verses in the NIV and when I compared to my KJV, they were missing! So there's more to the testimony but those two Brothers in Christ can verify and bear witness to what happened! They can verify it.

I never prayed about it before that, I never even thought about it if it was a "good" translation or not. God just did it.Then it was an NKJV and so I have to assume that this is the Lord's endorsement of the NKJV! (BibleGateway has that version too!
Which version of the NIV? 1984 or 2011?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"""Internet yelling is a sign of desperation…you really can highlight portions of Scripture without looking like a fanatic….can you not discuss things rationally?"""

Uh no, all caps for emphasis.
But you also did it .
For emphasis?
Yelling at me?
Desperation?
I don't usually go there when I see the pot <> kettle hypocrisy. But it is usually a sign you are in desperation.
See how easy that is to shift the debate into your little personal attacks???
Wow….you really are blind in your hatred aren’t you? Do you know what the definition of a bigot is?

FYI….the large caps were in the scripture directly copied from the NASB online Bible. I wasn’t yelling at anyone. The Bible itself was yelling at you.

I also said that there is nothing wrong with highlighting points of scripture, but internet yelling is when you not only bolden the caps but also enlarge the print….

You should try listening for a change and then you won’t end up looking like a bigoted fanatic.
"""Again, read in Greek, it does not say what is translated into English. Look it up in an Interlinear and you will see the omission of the definite article even though it is there in plain sight…..
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, (ho theos) and the Word was God.(theos)”
It is saying that Jesus was “the Word” and that he was “with God”….so how can you be “with” someone and at the same time BE that someone? It is completely illogical.
Calling Jesus “theos” (god) but not “ho theos” (THE God) is declaring his “divinity” as “the son of God”, not his deity as God himself. He never once said he was God."""
It CLEARLY says GOD.
So an English translation, clearly in error, that says what you choose to believe, trumps the Greek in which it was originally written? That explains a lot about your Bible study methods….as well as the depth of your comprehension.
try and find an old watchtower bible.
It has "a God" incorrectly inserted. (" ... The word was a god".)Then in the footnotes they Quote A.T. Robinson as an authority on their erroneous heresy.
Robinson threatened a law suit to get his name out of there as it is the ultimate heresy.
Any Greek scholar will agree with it being error.
Any Greek scholar who is a trinitarian would balk, most likely…..but it alters nothing about why the original ”theos” without the definite article, is not “God” with a capital “G”….it is “a god”…”divine” or “godlike”.

The fact that the bulk of Christendom believes in this doctrine doesn’t make it true.
Find this three headed god in the OT and tell me what Scripture Jesus used in his ministry? What Scripture did the apostles often quote from? What was the “all Scripture is inspired of God” that they spoke about? (2 Tim 3:16-17) They were all Jews who believed the Shema….(Deut 6:4)
But that is the length your organization goes down to ,to mentally interpret the trinity.
Heresy is watchtowers banner.
It is founded and thrives in heresy.
None of you know who Jesus is.
I think we have a pretty good grasp on who Jesus is…..and he will let us all know soon enough who got it right…..did you never wonder why “few” are going to be found on the road to life? (Matt7:13-14) The “many” are traveling down the wrong road whilst hurling abuse at those traveling in the opposite direction. (John 15:18-21) It’s nothing new.

BTW, We are Jehovah’s Witnesses…..the Watchtower is a printing company, registered with the government as a legal entity for printing and distributing large quantities of free Bible literature….in case you didn’t get that memo….?
All watchtower has EVER proven, is that men, trying to mentally process The bible, will fail every time.
Every cult, including watchtower, stumbles at the person of Jesus.
As you are demonstrating.
Btw, you can never get clever enough to remove the deity scriptures a babe in Christ could easily accept.
Perhaps that’s the problem….we are not to stay “babes in Christ” but to “press on to maturity”….to study and to grow up.
If you really studied your Bible, (and it is very apparent that you don’t) you will discover a world of things that you push away because it disagrees with you own programming.
Is this the brainwashed calling others brainwashed? The heretics calling others heretics? Haven’t we seen this all before in the first century? Did it end well?

You see, from the Greek we get to understand that “theos” means….
  1. “a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities…..
    • whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
      1. God's representative or viceregent
        1. of magistrates and judges” (Strongs)

So your protestations are meaningless when your own approved resources tell you the opposite of what you believe….with all those meanings…..they still insist that “theos“ means the trinity. There is no trinity in the Bible…it is an invention of the Catholic church.

You reject them and did not try to address all my verses.
It is futile. It says what it says.
You, nor your organization can deal with it.
I can address all of them, but with someone like yourself blinded by hatred and bigotry…..what is the point?….
You do you…I’ll let Jesus do the judging, because you can’t fool him, right?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Aunty. I have also been studying the Scriptures intently for 50 years, and I have learned both Greek and Hebrew - enough to have great respect for the modern translators.
I don't know of any Bible that doesn't insist that Jesus is God and Hell fire is "forever and ever". Even the JW bible!