My faith waxes and wanes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No....we are not talking about depression. I am talking about my struggles to remain unwavering in trust (faith).

It was not a cake-walk for Paul and those who have gone before us either.
We could not " Fight the good fight of faith"...if there was no fight!!:)
We could not overcome if there was nothing to overcome.
We could not be faithful unto the end, if there was no test.

And none of it comes over night.
Every time there is a fight, and every time that we get to the end of the fight...we are a little stronger than the last time.
Faith and confidence grows in the test.

Eph 6 armour is for fighting...if it was an easy 'done deal' we would not need His armour for our walk every day. ♥︎

If you are still here, if you are still moving forward...you are a winner.
It's not really our victory is it. It is US staying in HIS victory which wins the day.

We remember the song:-

I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh gosh sakes. Okay Dave. I think if you think that you never worry (waver in trust) then you are so holy you can't even relate to those of us whose faith is being tried to come out like gold in the end. Who can relate to me? They are the ones who can help to build up my faith. I'm not being rude, or at least I'm not trying to, but you are of no help to those of us who are running our race to grab what we have been grabbed for.

D

Dave L

Oh gosh sakes. Okay Dave. I think if you think that you never worry (waver in trust) then you are so holy you can't even relate to those of us whose faith is being tried to come out like gold in the end. Who can relate to me? They are the ones who can help to build up my faith. I'm not being rude, or at least I'm not trying to, but you are of no help to those of us who are running our race to grab what we have been grabbed for.
I have a solution to your problem. Just trying to help.

Reactions: Mayflower

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who can relate to me? They are the ones who can help to build up my faith.

Even when our own faith is weak, the reliability of the object (Christ) of our faith, never waivers. It can be so hard at times to understand what God is intending to accomplish by allowing our circumstances to get as they do sometimes. I just try to remind myself that He has some purpose in mind for doing so. That the full meaning of what that goal is may not be revealed to me in this life.

There are website articles and recorded sermons on this very subject. Sometimes I try to think of others across this globe who have situations must worst than mine. Perspective helps. Making sure my expectations are not out of line helps. Saturating myself in the Word helps. I personally find the audio Bible to help as I can relax and listen to the spoken word. I often have to resolve myself to accept that I cannot understand the purpose of the trail, but just decide to trust Him anyway. What else, Who else, can I trust in? There is a 'not my will, but thy will' component to it.

It is not always easy and as mentioned. It is a battle. Thinking about Heaven and how this struggle will not longer be present one day helps. I struggle in my own faith at times.

If we can trust Christ with our very salvation then the issues of life should be easier. Of course, they are also often more immediate and threatening to us. Ultimately we must exercise our own faith as best as we know how, and are able, to. God is pleased with a consistent effort to believe in spite of our feelings. Abba father loves you.

"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out."

It is the Object of our faith and not trusting in our faith itself that is most important.

You are not alone. God bless.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so an update now that its evening. (And this is how it always goes). I had a 160.00 day. Its just enough for what I have to pay next.

And about...2 weeks ago, I told Him I needed 200.00. Then I said 300 would be even better but that what I needed was 200. So I had a 202.00 day.

And on further thought...I think my temptation is more lust than lack of trust. He ALWAYS comes through at the last moment. Always. So its more lust than non trust...

Just Jen picking apart everything as always.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And so an update now that its evening. (And this is how it always goes). I had a 160.00 day. Its just enough for what I have to pay next.

And about...2 weeks ago, I told Him I needed 200.00. Then I said 300 would be even better but that what I needed was 200. So I had a 202.00 day.

And on further thought...I think my temptation is more lust than lack of trust. He ALWAYS comes through at the last moment. Always. So its more lust than non trust...

Just Jen picking apart everything as always.

God indeed sees to our needs. As adults we often don't want to live only by our needs...but our wants. But God knows that our wants lead us away from the God who looks after our needs. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@stunnedbygrace

I wonder if I can post without offending. I don't mean to...but I can only relate to where I myself has walked.

We will never walk in real victory when we are "me conscious" .
When the Enemy shines the light on all that we are NOT, and we agree with him...then we will struggle.
It is not about us, it is all about HIM.

'Where the mind goes, the man follows.'

If you say about yourself , what God says about you...your life will change. It does not come easily , but in time it can become almost natural to us.

When Satan came to Jesus he said- " IF you be the Son of God, then..." There is always the doubt seed sown.

Try reaffirming daily what God has said about us. It will change you.

Daily Confession

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God seems to keep me in a perpetual state of "just enough for the day." I understand why He does it. I happen to be one of those who still needs that. I easily trust Him when I have more than enough, but when it starts to get down to the wire with finances, I'm too easily swayed to worry.

I hate this about myself that I forget to trust and begin to worry. He snaps me back to attention much more quickly than in the past, but I guess...I just wish I could once and for all not sink to the temptation to worry, recognize it immediately, and not sink before I realize it has started to happen.

I guess if there is any good news in this, it's that I am continually reminded how poor in spirit I am and how I can sink like a rock in water in mere seconds because of my poverty of Spirit.

I just feel like I will never be strong and unshakable. I'm the neediest and wobbliest christia n I know. But I know that God blesses the poor in spirit who recognize their need and weakness. And know that when I am weak, then I am strong.

Just some human thing in me that wants to collect more than enough for the day and that wants to place my trust in a stockpile instead of in Him.

I've rambled as usual.

So...you're normal, then? :p
I think for a lot of us, it's not so much 'faith' that's the problem. Oh, we know of Christ, and we love him with our all! But to trust in the day to day walk? That is the hard thing. To learn to bring him into every small matter we do and think? It will take a life-time of falling down, of 'day to day' sucesses and failures.
I'll tell you of my recent failure...I have a chronic illness which sees me struggle with pain and fatigue...so, you know, you'd think I'd have to rely on him even more...which at times I manage to. But at times I fail. And over this Christmas period, I failed. Things got so very busy, and I just found myself so flat out trying to get everything done that had to get done. And last night I found myself in bed, but struggling to sleep because I just felt sick...too much pain had equalled into a ball of overwhelming misery and nausea. And as I was praying I realised I was a bit twisted up, emotionally, from trying to carry everything myself for too long, so I just asked for some peace, for some help. And it came instantly. An overwhelming flood of calm which, thankfully, soothed my pain as well.
This is the God we worship...one who welcomes us back again and again with love after we stuff up again and again. He doesn't guilt trip us, doesn't lecture, he just welcomes. How can we not love him?
So don't worry too much about your struggle...the very fact that you are struggling suggests that Spirit is nudging you forward. Sometimes we wish that forward motion would happen faster, huh?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God seems to keep me in a perpetual state of "just enough for the day." I understand why He does it. I happen to be one of those who still needs that. I easily trust Him when I have more than enough, but when it starts to get down to the wire with finances, I'm too easily swayed to worry.

I hate this about myself that I forget to trust and begin to worry. He snaps me back to attention much more quickly than in the past, but I guess...I just wish I could once and for all not sink to the temptation to worry, recognize it immediately, and not sink before I realize it has started to happen.

I guess if there is any good news in this, it's that I am continually reminded how poor in spirit I am and how I can sink like a rock in water in mere seconds because of my poverty of Spirit.

I just feel like I will never be strong and unshakable. I'm the neediest and wobbliest christia n I know. But I know that God blesses the poor in spirit who recognize their need and weakness. And know that when I am weak, then I am strong.

Just some human thing in me that wants to collect more than enough for the day and that wants to place my trust in a stockpile instead of in Him.

I've rambled as usual.

This echoes EXACTLY how I feel. I get so frustrated with myself. But I have learned to trust Him even more with each answered prayer and events I found as needless worries. Keep up the good fight, and I put some good threads down in recovery to encourage myself and others who struggle with anxiety as I do. Memes/a good list of our identity in Christ/ and encouraging videos. I do this on my facebook too in order to stay positive and not just stay in that pit of worry. The devil has to flee when we start to praise God. He is the author and finisher of our faith according to His Word. I just pray one day I can recognize that temptation immediately as you said. Obsessing makes it so hard. But God is stronger then all of our shortcomings. He gives us the strength to overcome.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as finances go, Ive been there. We are in a good place now, but also very horrible of putting back any savings. Of course with a baby, it is hard to save. But we were thinking of trying this for the new year. And also to start tithing. I used to before I married, but I don't work now. My hubby doesn't really understand it, but I am goinf to encourage him this next year to at least give more to our church. You support your family, and our church is the only family we have up here.

But yeh, we make enough to try this route. Right now we save nothing and eat out 90% of the time. Bobby was raised that way and I hate cooking, but now with Lorena, we really want to make some changes.

But my encouragement is that God has always provided for me financially and for my family as well.

FB_IMG_1546133620106.jpg

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you not considering investing? Interest is your friend.
Since you probably already have EXCEL on your computer, you might enjoy playing with this some. It can give you some "What If's" to whet your appetite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So...you're normal, then? :p
I think for a lot of us, it's not so much 'faith' that's the problem. Oh, we know of Christ, and we love him with our all! But to trust in the day to day walk? That is the hard thing. To learn to bring him into every small matter we do and think? It will take a life-time of falling down, of 'day to day' sucesses and failures.
I'll tell you of my recent failure...I have a chronic illness which sees me struggle with pain and fatigue...so, you know, you'd think I'd have to rely on him even more...which at times I manage to. But at times I fail. And over this Christmas period, I failed. Things got so very busy, and I just found myself so flat out trying to get everything done that had to get done. And last night I found myself in bed, but struggling to sleep because I just felt sick...too much pain had equalled into a ball of overwhelming misery and nausea. And as I was praying I realised I was a bit twisted up, emotionally, from trying to carry everything myself for too long, so I just asked for some peace, for some help. And it came instantly. An overwhelming flood of calm which, thankfully, soothed my pain as well.
This is the God we worship...one who welcomes us back again and again with love after we stuff up again and again. He doesn't guilt trip us, doesn't lecture, he just welcomes. How can we not love him?
So don't worry too much about your struggle...the very fact that you are struggling suggests that Spirit is nudging you forward. Sometimes we wish that forward motion would happen faster, huh?
Naomi25: For all believers the life of faith means to 'Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' (2 Peter 3), right?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Naomi25: For all believers the life of faith means to 'Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' (2 Peter 3), right?
Sure, the walk of sanctification, an effort on our part that is thankfully aided by the Spirit. It's that tricky line between realising that you need to respond to the new life Christ has given you with good works and the love of others, but also knowing that no real growth and defeat of sin will happen without God's help. It can be a slow process, but we can be sure that Christ, who began this good work in us, will see it to completion.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure, the walk of sanctification, an effort on our part that is thankfully aided by the Spirit. It's that tricky line between realising that you need to respond to the new life Christ has given you with good works and the love of others, but also knowing that no real growth and defeat of sin will happen without God's help. It can be a slow process, but we can be sure that Christ, who began this good work in us, will see it to completion.
This last point is also what Paul makes in Philippians 1.6: 'He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ'.