Natural Theology?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
Good point. Statistically, its as close to impossible as one can imagine. It's about the odds of filling our entire galaxy with white golf balls and sticking one red one in the midst of the mass of white ones and asking a blindfolded person to select the red one.
Basically you're asserting that a scenario is statistically impossible without doing any actual statistical calculations for that (or any other) scenario. IOW, "It's statistically impossible because I say it is".

Sorry, but your say so doesn't dictate reality.

And as I have kept trying to explain to you, the chemical processes involved in origins are IMPOSSIBLE. The scenarios requires to create the chemical combinations and catalysis are just impossible.
Because you say so. Tell me....why should anyone take your baseless say so over the views of professionals who work in this field of science?

Well, I guess that I will take that as an admission that you were wrong when you said not one of the papers refers to origins.
Like I said, if you want to hang your hat on that, go right ahead.

Um, "something that defies what we know of natural processes..." That is the definition of miracle. "A miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws." It seems that if I say it, you are going to object...not matter what it is. What exactly is your point?
I'd have thought it was obvious. "What we know of natural processes" is ever changing. The things we know now greatly exceed what we knew just a century ago. A century from now we'll know even more. So if a "miracle" is merely that which defies what we know of natural processes, then "miracle" is an entirely relative concept (relative to what we know at that point in time). 200 years ago a simple infection could be chalked up to a "miracle".

And I wonder....if something is a "miracle", do you think that puts it outside our ability to investigate and study via science?

I believe the work of origin of life scenarios have not come to any conclusive results on how or why. There are creationists doing research on how the earth could be very young but "has the appearance of age." Should that be taught in the textbooks simply because they are doing research based on a worldview...regardless of how conclusive that research is? Research is done by groups all the time in all sorts of fields. It doesnt demand that it should all be placed in a High School text book. Leave that for college and elective courses on biology and life-origins research.
Still didn't answer the question I asked. For the third time now....

You said: "There are many theories about how life arose on the earth. Although we do not know exactly what transpired, we are gaining an ever increasing understanding about how life functions, adapts and evolves today..." I asked if you think that accurately reflects the views of scientists who work on origin life life scenarios. Do you?

Pretty much all the scientists 200 years ago believed in geocentrism too.
No they didn't. But even if they did, what's your point? Remember, the question is: If it's true that pretty much all scientists in the field agree on those four stages, why shouldn't schools teach it?

When you are dealing with origins scenarios and imagining different atmospheres and practically impossible chains of events occurring in rapidly unnatural sequences to make your theory fly...then that is philosophical naturalism. The theory is not based on what is observed. It is based in the philosophy of "well we assume it could not have involved intelligence..so we must find how it could have happened naturally, even if all we currently know of these processes says it would not have happened." That is no different from what some creationists do. They resist popular opinion on what is known (in some areas) because they believe their worldview best explains the world...even if what is observed doesnt support some of those presuppositions. Hey, I am fine with that. Lets allow people to have and do research based on their worldviews. Lets just not peddle it off as a "conclusive" finding that should be taught to kids. The theory is based in philosophical naturalism...period.
Well, it's pretty clear you've drawn your line in the sand and are absolutely closed-minded on the subject. Even though this is an ongoing, dynamic field of research that still has a lot to learn, you've already determined that the puzzle they're trying to solve is unsolvable and they only reason they're even trying is to advance a philosophical agenda.....period.

This is just like talking with young-earth creationist fundamentalists. You've made up your mind, it doesn't matter what actual scientists in this field do or say....they're wrong....because you say so....period.

This is a straw man.
Um....dude....it can't be a straw man if I ask you "Is your logic path something like this?" Duh.

I expect science to be based in natural causes and effects. What I do not expect is for unnatural scenarios to be conjured up in order to explain hypothetical origins events that exclude intelligence.
Wow...what a garbled jumble of contradicting concepts. I guess this is what drawing absolute lines in the sand regarding scientific research does to a person, especially when it's all based in his theology.

You see, the problem is when you teach a theory that actually OPPOSES what we observe of how life could form from non-life. Do you see the difference?
Oh, I see all right. You've drawn your line in the sand, declared it to be absolute, and....period.

Sure thing. I'll post the links sometime later today...but I expect no admissions of guilt. Im not that naive.
Looking forward to it.

And for the third time...

Also I have to wonder about the theological implications of how you're interpreting Axe's work. You seem to be arguing it is impossible for natural mechanisms to not only produce life, but to produce proteins as well. Of course that must mean you believe God is responsible for protein production. Specific to Axe's research, doesn't that mean you must believe God deliberately gives pathogens resistance to our antibiotics? After all, if such enzymes can't develop naturally, God must do it....right?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said,
"Why cant two intelligent people disagree on a subject and have rational reasons for doing so? Why must you always paint those you disagree with as liars and idiots?"
River responded with,
Did you not just accuse me of slander?
and later kept pressing that I was slandering her unless i proved it...summarized in this comment:

"you're going to have to show where I merely asserted that one of your sources was a documented liar."
So, away we go:

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21003-a-reasonable-faith/?p=244737
*sigh*
Why, oh, why, oh why do you guys have to do this? In trying to make a case for "reasonable faith" you tie it to pseudoscientific nonsense and a documented liar. Do you see the irony? <_<
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/22673-expelled-an-example-of-dishonesty-among-creationists/?p=278075

Why are you posting quotes from a documented liar?
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/22107-and-science-says-our-gap-theory-is-bad/?p=267522

You can't really respond in kind because your creationist sources didn't supply you with that. They just sent you out with a series of talking points....they didn't tell you what to do beyond that. And you don't know the first thing about the science either.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21225-biblical-literalism-correlates-with-anti-science/?p=250780

If you have a problem with being thought of as a laughing stock by scientists, stop trying to argue against fields of science that you don't know anything about. IOW, if you don't like being called stupid, stop saying stupid things.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/20471-dinosaur-with-feathers-and-scales/?p=237032

And of course when applied to DNA we've already seen that under a reasonable definition of "new genetic information" (a functional genetic sequence that wasn't previously present), we see new genetic information being generated around us all the time. The funny thing is how Dr. Lisle tries to back up his argument about "no new genetic information"......by quoting other creationists' assertions! Well done. :rolleyes:
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/20471-dinosaur-with-feathers-and-scales/?p=236876

Do you think of yourself as an expert in evolutionary biology? Is your knowledge of it at such a level that not only are you able to make such declarations, but that others should pay heed to them as well?

So, here is just a small sample size. Your MO is to belittle others as "stupid," attack the other position by arguing that their sources are "documented liars" or that they are mindlessly reciting misleading "creationist mantras." In sum, I was not slandering you. I was referring to previous discussions where the debate devolved into you attempting to shut down my comments by suggesting im "stupid," discrediting my understanding of the field of biology, or attacking my sources as inadmissible because they are creationists or are documented liars.

Dont worry, I dont expect an admission of guilt.

Reactions: KingJ

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
Yep, I not only referred to S. Meyer as a "documented liar", I explained why he is one. And in that thread, no one countered or provided any evidence showing how what I said was incorrect. So the fact remains, Meyer has lied and it is a documented fact. Thus referring to Meyer as a "documented liar" is not slander, since the statement is true (in order for a statement to be slander, it has to be something that is false).

Same thing. I didn't just say C. Crocker was a documented liar, I showed how she is one. So the fact is, Crocker has lied and it is a documented fact. Thus referring to her as a "documented liar" is not slander, since the statement is true (in order for a statement to be slander, it has to be something that is false).

I'm not sure why you think this constitutes slander, since I merely noted that the creationist sources you were relying on for your arguments about "genetic information" didn't provide you with an actual definition of "genetic information" or a way to measure it. What I said is obviously true, as evidenced by your consistent inability to define the term or say how to measure it.

Again, not sure how that's slander as I didn't say anything about anyone in that quote. I simply gave advice....if you don't like being called stupid, stop saying stupid things. Apparently you strongly disagree with that advice. Oh well.

You're going to have to explain this one. I have no idea why you think that constitutes slander.

This one is even more baffling. All I did was ask you if you think of yourself as an expert in evolutionary biology, specifically to the level that others should accept your say so about it. I guess you see that as an attack or something.....

....or.....

....it could be that the reason you see that question as an attack is because the answer puts you in a very uncomfortable spot. So rather than address and deal with that uncomfortable truth yourself, you internally recast the question as an attack, thereby relieving yourself of any responsibility to deal with it. IOW, rather than deal with the truth (you're not an expert in evolutionary biology and haven't studied in any depth at all, which means your declarations about it are nothing more than uninformed opinions that are of no value to anyone but yourself), you've created this means of deflecting the issue, which in turn allows you to continue to post your uninformed, religiously-motivated opinions.

Your MO is to belittle others as "stupid,"
This brings up another fascinating bit of psychology. If you note, I never once referred to anyone as "stupid". Rather, at times I referred to specific statements or arguments as "stupid". That makes me wonder....why would you conflate calling an argument stupid, with calling a person stupid? Is it possible you've internalized these creationist talking points so deeply and personally they've become a part of you? Is it possible you've become your ideas, where as soon as anyone refers to one of your arguments as stupid, you reflexively figure they're calling you stupid? If so, that reveals a great deal of insecurity.

Let me give you a recent example of how a person who is secure in themselves responds to being wrong about something.

Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an extremely famous Harvard astrophysicist...one of the most famous living scientists in the world. Recently he tweeted "An airplane whose engine fails is a glider. A helicopter whose engine fails is a brick." Soon thereafter several helicopter pilots corrected him on his mistake, including the guys in THIS VIDEO where they demonstrate the autorotation concept. But look closely at Dr. Tyson's approach to this at 2:24 of the video. He says if he's wrong "I want to know about it...because I want to get smarter every day". The video host refers to this as a "super classy". But it's more than that; it's an indication of an open mind that isn't threatened at having said something wrong and being corrected on it. Dr. Tyson knows he's no expert in helicopters, so he says to the people who are....."teach me, I wanna learn".

Now compare that to what we see from you above, where even asking if you think yourself as an expert in evolutionary biology is construed as an attack. Hmmmmm.......

The difference is obvious. Unlike Dr. Tyson, you begin these discussions of science with an assumption of absolute certainty. We see that in this thread where you've declared the puzzle of life's origins to be impossible and current research to be based in philosophical naturalism.....and then you put your "period" on it. You've drawn your absolute line in the sand. The problem is, drawing absolute lines in the sand is a way of shutting down any further discussion or thought, and renders our quest for knowledge a farce.

Do you see the difference? Dr. Tyson's approach is "If my ideas are wrong, I want to know", whereas yours is "If you question my ideas, you are attacking me".

attack the other position by arguing that their sources are "documented liars" or that they are mindlessly reciting misleading "creationist mantras."
See what I mean? If anyone shows where your sources have said things that aren't true, rather than incorporate that information into your thinking you immediately circle the wagons and become extremely defensive. That's a strong indication that there's some deeper issues at play here. This isn't really about evolutionary theory and various origins scenarios, is it?

In sum, I was not slandering you.
Maybe I forgot, but I don't remember accusing you of slandering me.

I was referring to previous discussions where the debate devolved into you attempting to shut down my comments by suggesting im "stupid," discrediting my understanding of the field of biology, or attacking my sources as inadmissible because they are creationists or are documented liars.
Well let me ask you a question.....what if it's actually true that the arguments you've copied from creationist organizations are stupid, you have no education or training in evolutionary biology, and your sources can be shown to have said things that aren't true?

Would you want to know, or are those things you'd prefer to not have to think about or deal with?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I figured. I am not interested in arguing with you about whether you feel justified in calling another person's sources "liars" or suggest their comments are stupid (Yes I know you may see a difference between calling someone stupid or saying they sound stupid...but the effect is pretty much the same..and neither belongs in these kinds of discussions). I merely said that these conversations always devolve into you no longer dealing with the topic at hand, but start commenting that the person you are arguing with has no credentials and their sources are all liars. You are the one who claimed I was accusing you of slander. The point is, you do exactly what I said you do, which is why these arguments never amount to anything. That was my point, and I believe it has been validated.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically you're asserting that a scenario is statistically impossible without doing any actual statistical calculations for that (or any other) scenario. IOW, "It's statistically impossible because I say it is".
LOL. I cant quote a creationist. They all sing a mantra together and are brainwashed. I cant reference Meyer...he's a documented liar in your book. Apparently Dembski doesnt count. I cant refer to groups that met more than 30 years ago with these statistics...its too old (even though what we have discovered today only shows the cell is MORE complex than previously understood...not less), and I can't point to Axe...because...well because you say so (after all, no one uses Axe for life origins discussions....oh...wait....I think we proved that false too...oops). Yeah, not interested in giving you information simply for you to say, "Not admissible in River's circus court." Of course its not. You determine the game and the rules. :rolleyes:

"What we know of natural processes" is ever changing. The things we know now greatly exceed what we knew just a century ago. A century from now we'll know even more. So if a "miracle" is merely that which defies what we know of natural processes, then "miracle" is an entirely relative concept (relative to what we know at that point in time). 200 years ago a simple infection could be chalked up to a "miracle".
Wow. You never cease to amaze me. Yet again, I have to spell things out for you because you are so quick to be contrary.

"something that defies what we know of natural processes."
We are not talking about processes we do not understand. We are talking about something that DEFIES what we KNOW of natural processes. If there is a natural law and something defies that law that we have proven over and over again...that would be in the category of a miracle. You see, science is based upon laws and principles. We cannot do science if we are constantly guessing about what the laws of science are do to our eagerness to be open and learn new things. Yes, we are open about things we do not yet understand. But if something defies a PROVEN law that we KNOW, then we call that a miracle. (i.e. Jesus coming back to life after being dead three days). We dont say, "Hmmm, maybe we just dont know as much as we thought we did about life and death. Maybe we can explain this resurrection naturally!" No, we say, this defies what we have observed and proven for thousands of years. This is a miracle. Otherwise, we might as well toss the word "miracle" out of the dictionary.

Im out of time. Yet here we are again...debating who said what, what words mean, and what is admissible or inadmissible in your game of rhetoric. smh

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
As I figured. I am not interested in arguing with you about whether you feel justified in calling another person's sources "liars" or suggest their comments are stupid
Basically you're saying it's wrong to refer to people as documented liars and arguments as stupid, whether doing so is justified or not. Ok then.

I merely said that these conversations always devolve into you no longer dealing with the topic at hand, but start commenting that the person you are arguing with has no credentials and their sources are all liars.
Always? :wacko: Dude....look at this thread. Look at how many issues and questions about the topic you've left on the table, while instead choosing to spend most of your time focusing on the personal aspects. Do you see the hypocrisy here? Here you are complaining about me focusing on personal things rather than the topic at hand, when your last few posts are mostly about personal things!

I want to discuss this topic. You say you want to discuss it too. So let's discuss the topic, ok?

LOL. I cant quote a creationist. They all sing a mantra together and are brainwashed. I cant reference Meyer...he's a documented liar in your book. Apparently Dembski doesnt count. I cant refer to groups that met more than 30 years ago with these statistics...its too old (even though what we have discovered today only shows the cell is MORE complex than previously understood...not less)
I never said you couldn't cite whoever you want. I mean really....are you actually arguing that I am preventing you from citing whoever you wish? Do I really have that much power over you?

The fact remains, you've declared origins scenarios are mathematically impossible yet you've not shown any calculations of any origins scenario. That's just a fact. You can throw around whatever excuses you like....I'm being mean, I won't let you cite your preferred sources, you don't have time (even though you have time to post about personal things), it wouldn't matter anyways....but none of those changes the facts. They're nothing more than excuses. Either you have calculations based on specific origins scenarios or you don't. If you do, post them; if you don't, admit it.

and I can't point to Axe...because...well because you say so
If the best you have is: Scientists have taken a modern E. coli, disabled its enzyme that confers resistance to a modern antibiotic, and shown that the probability of re-evolving this enzyme by randomly substituting amino acids ten at a time is 1077. Therefore it is mathematically impossible for life on earth to have arisen by natural processes, then I am content to let that speak for itself.

Am I correct here? Axe's work is the closest you have to any sort of mathematical estimates regarding origins scenarios?

after all, no one uses Axe for life origins discussions....oh...wait....I think we proved that false too...oops
Sure, if you want to hang your hat on a bizarre paper written by a guy who's "institute" is his suburban home where he says someone should apply Axe's work to abiogenesis models, I'm fine with that. It serves as a pretty good representation of the scientific state of your side of this argument.

And do you understand how him saying that means no one has applied Axe's work to any origins models (otherwise why would he say someone should)? If no one has applied Axe's work to an origins scenario, why do you keep claiming it shows that origins scenarios are mathematically impossible?

"something that defies what we know of natural processes."
Do you believe that "what we know of natural processes" is constant over time? "What we know of natural processes" was the same 200 years ago as it is today?

Im out of time.
So in the limited time you had, you chose to focus most of it on personal things rather than the actual topic at hand.....while complaining about me focusing on people rather than dealing with the topic at hand. How hypocritical.

In addition to the immense number of issues and questions you've already left on the table, I am very curious to see your answer to these two questions (one you've ignored four times now, and the other a new one)...

I have to wonder about the theological implications of how you're interpreting Axe's work. You seem to be arguing it is impossible for natural mechanisms to not only produce life, but to produce proteins as well. Of course that must mean you believe God is responsible for protein production. Specific to Axe's research, doesn't that mean you must believe God deliberately gives pathogens resistance to our antibiotics? After all, if such enzymes can't develop naturally, God must do it....right?

If scientists do manage to come up with a plausible natural pathway for the origin of life, what scriptural/theological issues would it raise?

T

TravisT

I will let each of you make a final statement then I am closing this topic. It does not seem to be going anywhere. This is not what Natural Theology is about. Most natural theology is metaphysical and the current theories of the day for Science do not really have an impact. River Jordan, I might suggest that you read the book "The beginning of Infinity" by David Deutsch You seem to put way to much stock in current explanations of science. God could and can use evolution for his purposes but that will not and cannot change who he is or what Natural theology and the Bible has reveled about him. He is Infinite, Eternal and Unchangeable in his being.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Administrator said:
I will let each of you make a final statement then I am closing this topic. It does not seem to be going anywhere. This is not what Natural Theology is about. Most natural theology is metaphysical and the current theories of the day for Science do not really have an impact. River Jordan, I might suggest that you read the book "The beginning of Infinity" by David Deutsch You seem to put way to much stock in current explanations of science. God could and can use evolution for his purposes but that will not and cannot change who he is or what Natural theology and the Bible has reveled about him. He is Infinite, Eternal and Unchangeable in his being.
Scripture, which is revealed theology, focusses on God's searching for human beings. According to Rom 1:18-32 (ESV), natural theology involves human beings searching for God through his display in nature. Since I live in a post-Christian culture, I use natural theology, whenever possible, to point people to the existence of God. Therefore, I do not agree with your statement that 'most natural theology is metaphysical'. Most natural theology should be pointing to the revelation of God in nature through which all human beings know his existence. If there is order and design in our world, we need to test the hypotheses: (1) Who is the orderer? (2) Who is the designer?

The argument for natural theology was summarised by Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) in his Summa Theologica (I Q2.3. 1, p. 14):
a. The visible world is a cosmos, an orderly unity whose order is constant, uniform, complex, and intrinsic to the universe itself.
b. Such an order cannot be explained unless it is admitted that the universe has a cause that displays intelligence capable of bringing it into being.
c. Therefore, such a cause of the universe exists, which is to say, God exists as the intelligent cause of the universe (summarised in Oden 1987:143).
Even though this summary argument was made in the 13th century, it is just as relevant to a post-Christian Australia in 2016. I'm in the midst of preparing a submission to the Queensland government against decriminalising abortion at any time up to the time of birth, using natural theology and revealed theology to call on our politicians not to change the criminal code that already allows for abortion if the life of the mother is at risk.

Natural theology has especial benefit when in apologetic discussion about the existence of God. For example, the east coast of Australia (including my city of Brisbane) has experienced the unseasonal 'Big Wet' of torrential rain and destructive winds over last weekend. What an opportunity to use natural theology to point to God's existence and his involvement in the cosmos. This is no metaphysical examination but a pointing to the evidence for God's existence and interventions in nature.

Blessings,
Oz

Works consulted
Oden, T C 1987. The Living God: Systematic Theology, vol 1. New York, NY: HarperSanFrancisco.

T

TravisT

Administrator said:
very well stated....I stand corrected.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate you stepping in. I recognize this discussion has become very unedifying. I dont have anything to add. I will start to direct my focus on discussions that build others up. This endless bickering does no one any good. Thanks for the discussion, River.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Administrator said:
This is not what Natural Theology is about. Most natural theology is metaphysical and the current theories of the day for Science do not really have an impact.
I disagree. Natural theology is a type of theology that provides information about God based on our experiences and knowledge of the natural world that God has created. I think it's inherently obvious that for at least the last couple of centuries, science is our primary and best means for gaining knowledge about the natural world. Therefore, the results of science directly feed into natural theology.

Interestingly, many think of natural theology as an alternative to revealed theology, or as the two being in an either/or, black/white framework, where you either learn about God through revelation or through nature. IMO that's unnecessarily restrictive. I see no reason at all the two can't instead be complimentary.

River Jordan, I might suggest that you read the book "The beginning of Infinity" by David Deutsch
Thanks for the recommendation.

You seem to put way to much stock in current explanations of science.
You know, I hear that a lot from folks here and to be honest, I'm not sure what it even means. What is "too much stock" in science? Exactly how much is "too much"? How much is enough? Where's the line? Some Christians would say anyone who goes to a doctor or hospital when they're ill is "putting too much stock in science". On the other hand other Christians (like me) would argue Christianity has already taken black eyes over ignoring or denying science, so it would be prudent to learn from those mistakes so we don't repeat them.

IMO, "you put too much stock in science" is something people say when they can't counter the actual science being discussed, so instead try and turn the focus to the person discussing it. IOW, it's something like "I can't rebut what you're saying from a scientific perspective, so instead I'll just say you like science too much as a thinly veiled insult".

God could and can use evolution for his purposes but that will not and cannot change who he is or what Natural theology and the Bible has reveled about him. He is Infinite, Eternal and Unchangeable in his being.
That's a good segueway for my final thoughts on this.

As I noted when I first started posting in this thread, the idea of natural theology brings up a fascinating question. What if our study of nature...God's creation...gives results that contradict what's revealed in scripture? The Galileo affair is a classic example. The Catholic Church had concluded that scripture depicted the earth being stationary and orbited by the sun (scripture says God commanded the sun and moon to stand still in Joshua). That knowledge was the result of revealed theology. But then Galileo comes along and says no, the earth moves and orbits the sun, as revealed by studying nature...natural theology.

So we see the conflict between what is known via revealed theology and what is known via natural theology. Did God create a stationary earth or one that moves? Why would God command the sun to stand still when He should have revealed that He actually stopped the earth from rotating? Well, we know the outcome. Science was right, the Church was wrong, and the affair continues to be an embarrassment.

Today we're faced with similar issues between science and a subset of Christians over evolution, the age of the universe, and the origin of life. What bothers me is I see some Christians marching right down the same path the Catholic Church took with Galileo, where they've concluded their interpretations are so beyond question and error, it is impossible for anything to ever contradict it. This assumption of absolute certainty is reflected in the statements of faith of apologetic creationist organizations like Answers in Genesis where they say, "By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record". And who decides what "the scriptural record" means? Answers in Genesis of course! They're so absolutely certain of their interpretive abilities they sink tens of millions of dollars into theme parks and "museums" promoting their young-earth view, and declaring that deviating from their interpretation is the driving force behind all the troubles in the world.

We see the mindset here....they believe their revealed theology is so absolutely without error, any and all results from "any field" of study must fall in line, and any results that don't are wrong "by definition". Gee....sound familiar? I guess it's a good thing AiG can't lock up heretics like the old days!

I think this general mindset has been at play here in this thread as well. It bugged me and bugged me why someone was so adamant that the problem being worked on by a field of research that is so relatively new is "impossible". History is full of examples where even some of the most brilliant people who've ever existed couldn't figure something out, only to have someone else come along afterwards and....figure it out. THIS ARTICLE provides several examples of some of our greatest scientists....Newton, Ptolemy, Huygens....running into things they couldn't figure out, declaring them to be impossible to solve and the providence of God, only to have someone else come along later (sometimes centuries later) and figure them out. Given that history, what would cause people to repeat it?

Then I did a bit of reading and I came to understand how this is really about internal conflict and how different people address and deal with it. Specific to this thread, it's about the conflicts between what is known via revealed theology and what is know via natural theology (science). As has become obvious through the couple of years I've been posting here, many conservative Christians have a very clean, efficient, and simple way to deal with these conflicts. Just like AiG, they assume absolute certainty in their interpretations and declare anything and everything that contradicts it to be wrong. Period.

A part of that also involves avoidance. Why would someone draw absolute lines in the sand and declare an unanswered question "impossible", and do so with such fervor and emotion? Like Gandolf in Lord of the Rings, they shout to scientists "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!" Why? IMO the answer is obvious....if scientists do manage to solve the puzzle it will raise some serious conflicts between revealed theology and natural theology. Scripture says God created life, science has shown that life can arise all on its own....conflict. And how do some people handle conflict? By avoiding it, in this case by declaring it all impossible to solve while simultaneously chalking the research up to some atheistic/naturalistic propaganda effort. Conflict avoided. Clean, efficient, and simple.

But wait.....is that really a conflict? Is it always a conflict when scripture says God created something but science shows that something can be produced by natural means? Scripture says God creates mountains and wind (Amos 4:13), but we have natural explanations for those things. Does that mean there's a conflict between scripture and plate tectonics, volcanism, and temperature gradients? If not, what's the special rule for those things that doesn't apply to the Genesis creation accounts? I've honestly not seen any creationist address this question.

So in sum, I would feel satisfied if after this thread is closed folks here would just think about a couple of things. First, ask yourself if revealed theology/natural theology is an either/or choice, or if the two can co-exist and compliment each other. Second, learn from history and don't repeat the mistakes others have made where they assume absolute certainty and from that point conclude anything that disagrees with them must be wrong no matter what. And finally, don't be afraid of internal conflicts. Don't "handle" them by denying they exist, or by drawing absolute lines in the sand which only shuts down any further discussion or thought. Don't let fear of the complexities and issues that would arise should scientists figure something out drive you to vanquish it by simply declaring with absolute certainty that it will never be figured out.

Our intelligence and curiosity are gifts from God. Don't deny us the freedom to use them just so you can avoid having to face tough issues and conflicts. God will see you though it. Trust Him.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Administrator said:
Stanj

Good points. We belive God's word and using undeniable logic we can come to know true statements about God from reason. Like from causality we can know he is infinite. We can then go back to the Bible and read passages like psalms 143:3 that God's greatness is unsearchable with new clarity and awe.
But most in religions do not really believe the word of God. Most think Paul is a Johnny come lately. But God's words have been given to the Gentiles through Paul.

Col 1:1-3
COLOSSIANS Greeting 1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are in Colosse: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Their Faith in Christ 3 We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
NKJV

Col 1:19-23
Reconciled in Christ 19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell,
20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.
21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled
22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight —
23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.
NKJV

Col 1:26-29
26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.
27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.
29 To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.
NKJV

Col 2:6-13
6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
Not Legalism but Christ 11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
NKJV

A person walks "in Him" by keeping his/her belief, faith, trust, and confidence in what He did on the cross when He shed His blood to pay for theirs sins of the flesh.

T

TravisT

River Jordan,

We might have natural explanations for why mountains and clouds are formed but that is my point when I talked about Metaphysical undeniable first Principles. It all goes back to a first cause. Who banged the big bang etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.