Need prayer for better self control on food

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven been struggling with gluttony for a while. Letting my stomach be my god. I want to stop having addiction to unwholesome foods and unwholesome drinks. I desire to lose weight, but I have trouble resisting the temptation. I need prayer for better self control, and to be better at fasting from food. I want to stop being a companion to gluttony and other things that cause me to eat too much.

Not fasting has hindered me from my blessings. It makes it easier for demonic activity to rule over you. The spirit of God has been lifting me at times, but I keep giving in to the desires of the flesh. Having trouble getting my mind off food. I want to stop the habit of eating because I'm bored. I guess I also have to keep fighting, fight the good fight of faith.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then clear your house of ready meals etc, don't go to take aways and start cooking health meals from scratch.
A couple of tips.
Always have a filling breakfast, snack on fruit and veg, and serv your meals on smaler than normal pates to be eaten at the table with all device switched off.

Reactions: dev553344

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I haven been struggling with gluttony for a while. Letting my stomach be my god. I want to stop having addiction to unwholesome foods and unwholesome drinks. I desire to lose weight, but I have trouble resisting the temptation. I need prayer for better self control, and to be better at fasting from food. I want to stop being a companion to gluttony and other things that cause me to eat too much.

Not fasting has hindered me from my blessings. It makes it easier for demonic activity to rule over you. The spirit of God has been lifting me at times, but I keep giving in to the desires of the flesh. Having trouble getting my mind off food. I want to stop the habit of eating because I'm bored. I guess I also have to keep fighting, fight the good fight of faith.
If you can get it in the U.S. STL, a documentary called 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' by Joe Cross is very inspiring.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been using intermittent fasting and it's working for me. I just wait a little longer for my meal and fast for God in prayer for a Godly purpose. I will pray for you too.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a judgement. I have the same problem you do. Here are some ideas:

Since you are already having a problem eating and a fast may not be the answer at this time, because all you will think about is food, why not try this? God has given us fruits and vegetable that we can munch on. An average apple is 95, but it takes awhile to chew up. Celery takes forever to eat and is very low cal (10 cal per stalk)? Like Mexican food? A head of lettuce is only 53 calories, and put some salsa on it, like a chunky pace, at 15 cal for 2 oz.
You and the Lord can work out a fruit/vegetable between meal fast. You can have fruits or vegetables between meals. Check calories on fruit servings..
15 Fruits Lowest in Calories.

The problem for me is bread. Some of the lesser quality bread is 70 cal/slice. If you want some breakfast you could make an egg sandwich with 2 eggs. The bread 140 cals for 2 slices , the eggs 70 cals apiece, and use cooking spray to fry in. So bit of butter at 34 cal a tsp so maybe two teaspoons at 68 calories(for the bread ) Breakfast is now 348 calories. you could also scramble those eggs and make the bread into toast. add some turkey bacon at 25 cal per slice. You could have 6 slices and be around 500 cals. 6 pieces of bacon(turkey) 2 scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast. Now that is a breakfast!

And don't forget water. Esp after a meal. We have had some yum desserts that I wanted but could not touch because i was full of water. You at least have to wait.
I still drink diet ginger ale on occasion and diet 7 up, but not every day.I still have sweets, too. Not as many. Working on that.
BTW, there are 73 calories in a piece of angel food cake. 1/12 of a cake. You can have some things.
For meals, protein, and a lot of veg. Even sometimes a steak and 2 cups broccoli. If you want a roll, check the amount of calories. Some of them are very high, some not so high. Just fit it inif you want it,but add and subtract as you need to.

The cool thing (well, one of the many cool things) about Jesus is He knows what path you are on. sometimes, things take time. It took me a long time to quit smoking, but He and I worked out a plan, and we did it. With the smoking, I quit beating myself up as a faithless person, and realized that I had a partner in Him who understood an addictive personality, and we worked it out.
I am a long way from the weight goal, but I wanted to share with you what I learned.

Working together on a plan with the Lord is a great thing. You can share the accomplishments.
God Bless you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Food selection is important. Processed foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup increase weight AND food addiction. Many ingredients of processed foods work directly against us.

For me, the real answer is to ask God to bring you to a healthier diet, and then watch for what He's going to do. As you feel the inclination to stop or start certain foods, prayerfully follow.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh brother, I hear you there...food WAS my god for a huge part of my life. I love to cook and I USUALLY love to eat, but the appetite to eat has gone by the wayside anymore...doesn't help when bored anymore...once the sugar and carbs are out of your system, watch your shopping and what you bring into the house as, you WILL be tempted. You will no longer crave the "bad" stuff once out of your system. Give it 5 days to a week of no sugar and very little in carbs. Pray and FAST for a time for the strength to resist.
God speed brother, you will be fine, at least you acknowledge this and God knows so...trust Him bro!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Father, I thank You that it is never to late to walk in Your Word. I pray for ShineTheLight, that You will help him walk in Your ways by prayer and fasting. Help him in the areas that he wants to change that he will ever grow closer to You. Bless him as he walks in Your Word and follows after You. In Jesus Name, Amen.