Need some help on this verse...binding things on earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew 18:18,19 - "Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth
shall have been bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

I have read diff explanations but I still don't get what it means, exactly.

how is it you have not heard or realised that this does not apply to you or or us - you could be busy loosening what I am binding - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
From my perspective / POV, it is with most of them. Can't say that I've really seen any that I put any stock into. I pretty much threw out commentaries within the first year of my "belief", and I'd be willing to say, it was probably within the first six months. Though I have since seen others use a myriad of them, can't say that I have seen much of it worth reading.
well, they got "published" by a house that made a profit, right, should tell us all we need to know i guess. i mostly find them useful to determine what not to believe now

Reactions: Richard_oti

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
how is it you have not heard or realised that this does not apply to you or or us -
this has already been put down, it applies to us
you could be busy loosening what I am binding - twinc
nothing wrong with that, at all. Telling me to eat my vegetables is good advice, surely; telling an Eskimo that is pointless

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the overall context here:

Mat 18:15 And if thy brother sin against thee, go, show him his fault between thee and him alone: if he hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he hear thee not, take with thee one or two more, that at the mouth of two witnesses or three every word may be established. 17 And if he refuse to hear them, tell it unto the church: and if he refuse to hear the church also, let him be unto thee as the Gentile and the publican. 18 Verily I say unto you, what things soever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and what things soever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say unto you, that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. 21 Then came Peter and said to him, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? until seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times; but, Until seventy times seven.
John Calvin does an even better job of explaining:The substance of it is this: Whoever, after committing a crime, humbly confesses his fault, and entreats the Church to forgive him, is absolved not only by men, but by God himself; and, on the other hand, whoever treats with ridicule the reproofs and threatenings of the Church, if he is condemned by her, the decision which men have given will be ratified in heaven. If it be objected, that in this way God is made a sort of petty judge, who concurs in the sentence of mortal men, the reply is at hand. For when Christ maintains the authority of his Church, he does not diminish his own power or that of his Father, but, on the contrary, supports the majesty of his word. As in the former case (#Mt 16:19) he did not intend to confirm indiscriminately every kind of doctrine, but only that which had proceeded out of his mouth, so neither does he say in this place that every kind of decision will be approved and ratified, but only that in which he presides, and that too not only by his Spirit, but by his word. Hence it follows, that men do no injury to the authority of God, when they pronounce nothing but what comes from his mouth, and only endeavor faithfully to execute what he has commanded. For, though Christ alone is the Judge of the world, yet he chooses to have ministers to proclaim his word. {2} Besides, he wishes that his own decision should be pronounced by the Church; and thus he takes nothing from his own authority by employing the ministry of men, but it is Himself alone that looses and binds.

The main thing that must be understood of this is:It applies to us insomuch as we are able to proclaim the Gospel and the truth of the scriptures, be it by word or actions and The Apostles were probably more able to do so better than anyone since. In other words, as Jesus taught, for men to judge other men they had better be right.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how is it you have not heard or realised that this does not apply to you or or us - you could be busy loosening what I am binding - twinc
Huh? How did you surmise that from a simple question to understand those words better,
since they are not used in our everyday language now?
Seems I'm binding and loosening all the time...we all are.

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Huh? How did you surmise that from a simple question to understand those words better,
since they are not used in our everyday language now?
Seems I'm binding and loosening all the time...we all are.
Twinc is making the same mistake I did, addressing the context the words are used in, not realizing there would be someone who would not understand the meaning of the words.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Twinc is making the same mistake I did, addressing the context the words are used in, not realizing there would be someone who would not understand the meaning of the words.
Ah, without the kneejerk eyerolls..that was nice of him...

Reactions: jimd

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, they got "published" by a house that made a profit, right, should tell us all we need to know i guess. i mostly find them useful to determine what not to believe now
oti said:"From my perspective / POV, it is with most of them. Can't say that I've really seen any that I put any stock into. I pretty much threw out commentaries within the first year of my "belief", and I'd be willing to say, it was probably within the first six months. Though I have since seen others use a myriad of them, can't say that I have seen much of it worth reading."
WOW!:rolleyes:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
oti said:"From my perspective / POV, it is with most of them. Can't say that I've really seen any that I put any stock into. I pretty much threw out commentaries within the first year of my "belief", and I'd be willing to say, it was probably within the first six months. Though I have since seen others use a myriad of them, can't say that I have seen much of it worth reading."
WOW!:rolleyes:
these are not evil ppl, and they mean well ok. Use them as long as they serve you imo, but understand how you are also relying on Some Guy to interpret Scripture for you, and not the Spirit. Now I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave

Reactions: amadeus

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this has already been put down, it applies to us
nothing wrong with that, at all. Telling me to eat my vegetables is good advice, surely; telling an Eskimo that is pointless
Obviously it has not been put down by twinc. It applies to us but how it applies does not seem to be clearly understood. Eskimos need veggies also;)

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
these are not evil ppl, and they mean well ok. Use them as long as they serve you imo, but understand how you are also relying on Some Guy to interpret Scripture for you, and not the Spirit. Now I say, as long as the heir is a child, he does not differ at all from a slave
What makes you think we are not relying on the Spirit also, I will take all the help I can get.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you and oti are saying applies to all preachers teachers as well but most of them are just trying to help and if they are honest they will tell you to check them out.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Obviously it has not been put down by twinc. It applies to us but how it applies does not seem to be clearly understood. Eskimos need veggies also;)
The Inuit Paradox | DiscoverMagazine.com
discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox
Oct 1, 2004 - How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be ... what to eat to stay healthy, it's surprising to learn how well the Eskimo did on ...
The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet ...
www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/
The Inuit ate a diet high in meat and fat, low in fruits and vegetables and still had low rates of heart disease and cancer (sadly only recently when more modernization came to them in the form of convenience stores, soda and other processed foods did you see the illnesses start to increase.

Reactions: Richard_oti

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What you and oti are saying applies to all preachers teachers as well but most of them are just trying to help and if they are honest they will tell you to check them out.
yes, most of them are just "trying to help;" for a price. Most of them are oblivious to the conflict of interests inherent in signing a 501 c3, and claiming the benefits on a form 1023 too, Jim. Even though a six year old could add those up. Use "3" for "c" there, i guess

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Inuit Paradox | DiscoverMagazine.com
discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox
Oct 1, 2004 - How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be ... what to eat to stay healthy, it's surprising to learn how well the Eskimo did on ...
The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet ...
www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/
The Inuit ate a diet high in meat and fat, low in fruits and vegetables and still had low rates of heart disease and cancer (sadly only recently when more modernization came to them in the form of convenience stores, soda and other processed foods did you see the illnesses start to increase.
Thanks for the history lesson on the Eskimo and the ills of the church. Any chance of getting back on point?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Thanks for the history lesson on the Eskimo and the ills of the church. Any chance of getting back on point?
ha, that's what i said lol. to myself tho
yes, most of them are just "trying to help;" for a price. Most of them are oblivious to the conflict of interests inherent in signing a 501 c3, and claiming the benefits on a form 1023 too, Jim. Even though a six year old could add those up. Use "3" for "c" there, i guess
i'm busily binding stuff right now, bro. you are welcome to loose them to your heart's content, too imo. Truth will fall somewhere in between i guess

i doubt we would have any Bible at all were it not for the RCC.
Crude oil is not inherently bad. Etc

jimd

Oct 14, 2017
catawissa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, that's what i said lol. to myself tho
i'm busily binding stuff right now, bro. you are welcome to loose them to your heart's content, too imo. Truth will fall somewhere in between i guess

i doubt we would have any Bible at all were it not for the RCC.
Crude oil is not inherently bad. Etc
hmm.... doesn't seem to have anything to do with the price of tea in China:) are you avoiding post #105? Truth doesn't fall anywhere, it stands immutable, we just seek to discover it.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
hmm.... doesn't seem to have anything to do with the price of tea in China:) are you avoiding post #105? Truth doesn't fall anywhere, it stands immutable, we just seek to discover it.

all clever/foolish stuff does not answer who the thou is - is it thee or me - twinc