New and Old Covenant?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
Are they the same or different? The covenant question is mentioned over 270 times, much more so regarding the word "gospel." Is there a similarity? Should we care?

J.M.

Oct 28, 2007
There is one everlasting covenant of redemption made within the Godhead of the Trinity between God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. All covenants in history such as the Mosaic and New are expressions of this one eternal covenant made before time.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
JMIs that a photo of you??? You seem like a smart guy. I am enjoying reading your replys.Oceanman

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
The Old Covenant was glorious in that it showed the nature of God and gave natural blessings to those that sincerely tried to observe it.Spiritually it was the ministry of condemnation, to show all that they had fallen from grace.The New Covenant is how to get that grace and what happenes if you rely on it.

jkdjr25

Nov 5, 2007
To my understanding there is the Old Covenant that God has with the people of Israel, which remains in effect as God promised Abraham that it would be an everlasting Covenant. Similairly God promised that Israel would be redeemed and the eyes of her people opened.The New Covenant is God's Covenant with the rest of the world, ensuring that we may be redeemed through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. God will honor both Covenants as God always keeps His Word. At least that's my understanding of it.

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(J.M.;21332)
There is one everlasting covenant of redemption made within the Godhead of the Trinity between God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. All covenants in history such as the Mosaic and New are expressions of this one eternal covenant made before time.
Amen. God made a covenant with Abraham. It is the same covenant that saves all mankind. Romans 4; Galatians 4. All the rest of the covenants are an expression of the covenant of grace, for it is God's covenant. Jake

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
(jkdjr25;21617)
To my understanding there is the Old Covenant that God has with the people of Israel, which remains in effect as God promised Abraham that it would be an everlasting Covenant. Similairly God promised that Israel would be redeemed and the eyes of her people opened.The New Covenant is God's Covenant with the rest of the world, ensuring that we may be redeemed through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. God will honor both Covenants as God always keeps His Word. At least that's my understanding of it.
We must remember, there has never been any salvation in the old covenant, the blood of bulls and goats cannot save anyone. It was by faith in the new covenant, the covenant of grace in Christ's blood that saved the individual when offering a sacrificial animal. Abraham preached the gospel (Gal. 3:8). He preached Christ and Him crucified. The animal sacrifices were given for a "show and tell" salvational model. There is only one gospel for all time. blessings in Christ,Jake

preciousmessage

Oct 28, 2007
One of the most popular traditions is that the covenant is a "contract" between God and us. If you read Romans 4 and Galatians 3:17 and chapter 4 of the same you will see that God's covenant is simply His promises. The idea of a "compact" is that God fulfills His part and we fulfill our part. A bargain if you will. We can never fulfill anything, we are totally depraved and there is not one good bone in our body. God fulfills his promises, we simply "believe" and He works in us. Jake

PastorChris

Oct 19, 2007
There is a biblical article concerning this topic in johnchao's thread. I have read it a few times! Really good! I'd like to recommend you to read. May the Lord bless you all!Pastor Chris