New Kid Movie = Anti-Religious? [The Golden Compass]

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was sent this by a friend today about the movie The Golden Compass:http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.aspIronically enough, I saw the previews at the theater a few hours ago. I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right when I saw them, but had no idea this was going on with the books. It definitely tries to mirror CS Lewis.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
How many serpents are going to tone down the movie and then tries to get unsuspecting parents for kids to see this dumbed down movie and get kids to read the higher level of violence book...??????Satan is sure good at playing tricks and stuff, but not good enough for one that knows te bible well. I say this is even more getting out of hand here.Jag

haanne

Oct 29, 2007
These books are a trilogy of three. God is depicted as cruel and evil and in the last book God is killed. It is to my understanding that it is pointed out to be the Christian God. The movie is dummed down from the book. However its still planting seeds in young minds. -Scary stuff. The devil has found a way to devour young minds.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Yea, of course the Devil has found a way. He is supernatural...JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

jamesrage

Apr 30, 2007
Liberals in the movie industry generally use children's films as propaganda.Happy Feet for example promote the idea that the UN are the good guys that saves penguins and man is evil for fishing,the new GI Joe movie is no longer about a real American hero but a globalist organization that answers to the UN,the most recent superman movie leaves out the part where super man says "for truth justice and the American way".

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well kids have been indoctrinated in schools for many years now to be a good global citizen. We've been continually getting farther and farther away from God yet we wonder why crime continues to run rampant and our education system continues to fail.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
I have happened to read the trilogy which is actually very good.But it is true it paints the God of the story as not a loving but a hating God who needs to be taken out. In other words God is the villian of the story.It would be very dangerous to take a kid who takes fiction literally and show him thsi trilogy.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Actually saw that movie tonight...with the family...Yea, God is the villain in this movie, as Satan is the "good guy" in this movie. Witches are good guys, along with a morphing animals (Evolution crap in it) that talks... Meh...Jag

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Wait they make God the villian in the golden compass????that didn't happen until the second book in the trilogy.Wow, wonder why they did that????

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Letsgofishing;26081)
Wait they make God the villian in the golden compass????that didn't happen until the second book in the trilogy.Wow, wonder why they did that????
I never read the books. Nor do I intend to read the books. In my judgement of the movie. Yes to me, that God is the villain in the movie. So I didn't enjoy it.Jag

CarissaLovesJesus

Dec 10, 2007
Wow, Me and my brother wanted to watch it =/ Cause we like fantasies but now i am so NO WAY - going to see that movie! My brother still wants to watch it but not badly.The Author of the book is an atheist - so no suprise that God is the villian in the movie
sad.gif

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Man this movie really has me split.First of all it is preety much one of the best books Ive ever read.second off I treat fiction as fiction, and this was dang good fiction.( and I hear the movie is the same)do you think seeing it will harm my relationship with God Jag????I'm almost done with rereading the book So I'll give my complete view of the book in about 2 days. your brother in christ 'Ryan Fitz

Squeak

Nov 13, 2007
My kids school arranges for them to go to the theatre every year around this time. The movie that was chosen (by who exactly I don't know) is The Golden Compass. I am unsure whether I should allow my kids to see this movie or not. They are 12 and 11 years old. Is this even appropriate for this age group to watch? Any advice, Jag, since you've seen it?

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
uh........I really loved the books and am probably going to love the movie.But I would say that this is not the best movie to take the kids to. See the problem is not the first movie which I believe doesn't have much God Bashing in it.But if the movies cause them to read the books or they watch the other movies they would run into some severely anti religous events.For example in the third book ( if I remember right its been a while) The main character breaks into the afterlife and finds out that everybody faithful to God or not just goes to hell after death. If your children take the books too seriously this could lead to huge problem.And also the whole plot is against a war against God, who is not actually evil but is corrupted. In the end of the trilogy God gets released into nature and is pretty much no more. so there are a lot of anti-religous themes in the third book and soon to be movie. and the books are so well written that your children will probably read the third book.Am I saying not to let your children go no matter what. Its your choice, but I would say you could let them Go, it didn't ruin my faith.But it could ruin theres.....it depends how seriously they get into the series. So if you think that they could get seriously into the movies I would not let them Go. with all that said if you are going to let them watch the movie be Very careful, and if you are going to let them see the movie explain to them who wrote it( an athiest) and that there will be things which happen which are contradictary to our faith. Ide also make sure to go to the movie with them.your brother in christ Ryan Fitz

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Squeak;26423)
My kids school arranges for them to go to the theatre every year around this time. The movie that was chosen (by who exactly I don't know) is The Golden Compass. I am unsure whether I should allow my kids to see this movie or not. They are 12 and 11 years old. Is this even appropriate for this age group to watch? Any advice, Jag, since you've seen it?
Squeak, I prefer to have people NOT watch the movie. It is difinately Anti-Religious. The devil is the good guy, I mean that is sad. I can't even enjoy movie these days...JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Squeak

Nov 13, 2007
Thank you, Letsgofishing and Jag. I will take your thoughts on the movie into consideration. I appreciate your replies.