New Pope Named

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Mungo said:
Let's look at the context of that because Jesus is NOT speaking of the Holy Spirit residing in each person. Jesus is answering the Jews who ask (vs 15)

"How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?"

16 So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent
me;

17 if any man's will is to do his will, he shall know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.

18 He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but he who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.

The Holy Spirit is never mentioned or referred to.

Jesus says that if they want to do the Father’s will then they listen to Jesus and know that his teaching comes from God

Jesus does NOT say that the Holy Spirit will guide each Christian into the truth.
If each Believer has the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth living in them, why would the Holy Spirit be a respecter of persons and not guide adopted sons of God (Hebrews 12) into the truth? Can you explain that to me?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Axehead said:
If each Believer has the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth living in them, why would the Holy Spirit be a respecter of persons and not guide adopted sons of God (Hebrews 12) into the truth? Can you explain that to me?

Scripture is quite clear..

Jesus founded a Church (Mt 16:16)

He founded it on the apostles (Eph 2:20)

His Church is described as the foundation and pillar (or bulwark) of truth (1Tim 3:15)

He gave that Church a set of doctrines (Jud 3)

Jesus made promises to this Church, covenant promises, which he guarantees (Heb 7:22)

Jesus promised his Church would be indefectible. – the gates of hell would not prevail against it (Mt 16:18)

He promised the Church would be preserved from error by the Holy Spirit by reminding the apostles of all that
Jesus had taught them (Jn 14:26) and guide them into the truth in the future (Jn 16:13)

He appointed the Apostles with Peter as the leader (Mt 18:18-19) and gave them the mission to take
the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Mt 28:16-20)

He promised he would not leave them on their own (Jn 14:18) but that he would be with them until
the end of the age (Mt 28:20)

He prayed that it would be one Church (Jn 17:20-23)

He prayed that the Father would consecrate the Apostles in the truth (Jn 17:17), and the Father
always hears Jesus (Jn 11:41-42). We are therefore guaranteed by Jesus that what his Church teaches is the truth.

That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19),
to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16).

This is the Catholic Church.

Apparently Jesus didn’t set things up the way you think he should have but I think God is wiser than you.
And the way that Protestantism has splintered into so many different beliefs is a proof that God’s way is better

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
It is also true - by the previous two Pope's own admission - that there are millions of Christians around the worls serving Christ, bringing others to Him, sacrificing their lives for Him, and who will be with Him in heaven.

They do this without the Catholic version of communion or going to confession, etc. etc. etc.

Translation: The Catholic church is not necessary for Salvation.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Foreigner said:
It is also true - by the previous two Pope's own admission - that there are millions of Christians around the worls serving Christ, bringing others to Him, sacrificing their lives for Him, and who will be with Him in heaven.

They do this without the Catholic version of communion or going to confession, etc. etc. etc.

Translation: The Catholic church is not necessary for Salvation.
And you think that you can stick two fingers up to the Church that Jesus founded and sing "I'll do it MY way"?

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Oh, so close.

I did it God's way.

But if your own church says that those who aren't Catholics are saved and will go to heaven if they follow Jesus, you should take your issue up with them.

M'kay?

Glad I could help.