New Pope Named

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Selene said:
So much for Peter Romanus or whatever his name was. I don't know why some people bother trying to predict WHEN the world will end. I think the important question they should ask themselves is "are they prepared for Christ's Second Coming?"

Amen! I find it a teeny, tiny bit frustrating that when we read in Peter of the people mocking the end of the world, of Jesus' second coming...that that mocking is based on all the "Christians"; well meaning or not, who keep on 'predicting' Jesus' return! Every time they do it and are inevitably wrong it's just another proof (to the scoffers) that Christianity is hooey.
We don't need to know when, all we need to know is He will....

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Rach said:
Amen! I find it a teeny, tiny bit frustrating that when we read in Peter of the people mocking the end of the world, of Jesus' second coming...that that mocking is based on all the "Christians"; well meaning or not, who keep on 'predicting' Jesus' return! Every time they do it and are inevitably wrong it's just another proof (to the scoffers) that Christianity is hooey.
We don't need to know when, all we need to know is He will....
Agree, sister. :) But just for a stir, I reckon no later than 2033 AD. Taken from the time of his Crucifixion not his birth. SHALOM

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well Rex, it sound like it is really important for you to embrace and promote your own misrepresentation of my thelogical perspective. Nothing i can do about it, but to continue to share Christ's love with my neighbors through service and love God though obedience and adoration. Loving unselfishly is the narrow road and the double edge sword that cuts through all human false dichotomies and dualistic worldviews. BTW, not only have you made your case for labeling me as a unification believer, you haven't mentioned anything other than love that Christians are called to do in this life.

*have not made your case

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A quote from a cardinal in Australia, " the church has being without a father for two weeks". If thats the case than where was God, is He not our father???

in all His
love

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
afaithfulone4u said:
Who was, then was not, then was again..... St. Francis?

Oh how wonderful it would be if these ungodly people who gather with such excitement to worship the image of a man would be so enthusiastic for God and His Christ aka The Word.

Did you also notice how little credit was given to God for choosing him.. and how the first person that he said he was going to pray to (notice I said Person) was mother Mary, and human being and not to the Father? Mary is to be honored, not worshiped as God!
Doesn't take l.long before someone goes totally negative does it?

Have you nothing positive to say?

Foreigner said:
-- Why would they give God the credit for this?
It took multiple votes and the winner had to get a minimum of 77 out of the 200+ Cardinals that were voting.
And the selection was more of a political one than a spiritual one.
There were 115 Cardinals voting not 200+

And you don't know what the basis for the selection was.

afaithfulone4u said:
Foreigner,
Since when does man pick the chosen of God? Didn't Jesus choose the 12, Saul/Paul and aren't many called but few chosen? It is not man that builds up the temple of God, we are only co-laborers with God. When man starts putting their OWN hands in the selection of what is good for the body of Christ, then they have been disconnected from the Head, which is Christ.
Since the apostles proposed Matthias and Barsabbus to replace Judas and chose Matthias by lots (Acts 1); since the apostles choose Barnabus to go and minister to those in Antich; since Paul chose Timothy to be in charge in Ephesus (1 Tim) and Titus to be in charge of Crete (Ti 1).

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Mungo said:

Since the apostles proposed Matthias and Barsabbus to replace Judas and chose Matthias by lots (Acts 1); since the apostles choose Barnabus to go and minister to those in Antich; since Paul chose Timothy to be in charge in Ephesus (1 Tim) and Titus to be in charge of Crete (Ti 1).
I have something positive to say:

And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. (Col 1:18)

Who is this scripture referring to?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Axehead said:
I have something positive to say:

And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. (Col 1:18)

Who is this scripture referring to?
Jesus,

and the Pope is his vicar on earth.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
axehead, we are all called to be 'little christ's' on Earth. The verse you posted is talking about Jesus - Catholics would not claim it was referring the Pope, but we are all called to imitate Jesus. the office of pope is just a fromal opportunity to imitate Him.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
And apparently His "Vicar" can call it quits whenever he feels like it.

At least he took it more seriously than history shows many "Vicars" took it.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Foreigner said:
And apparently His "Vicar" can call it quits whenever he feels like it.

At least he took it more seriously than history shows many "Vicars" took it.
You just want to pick a fight.

Grow up.

afaithfulone4u said:
Did you also notice how .......... the first person that he said he was going to pray to (notice I said Person) was mother Mary, and human being and not to the Father?

No, I didn't notice - probably because it's not true.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/13/174224173/transcript-pope-francis-first-speech-as-pontiff

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Mungo said:
Jesus,

and the Pope is his vicar on earth.
Is the Holy Spirit subservient to the "Vicar" on earth? Or does the Holy Spirit lead and guide each Christian?

Jesus said, He must go away so the Holy Spirit (who teaches us all things could come). He did not say, "I must go away but the Vicar will teach you all things".

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

I can attest to the fact, through experience, that I have never needed a "Vicar". The Holy Spirit has done and continues to do what the Lord promised.

The Holy Spirit never calls it quits. He is with me 24x7x365. And he does not support homosexuality, much less any sin. The Holy Spirit is not interested in wearing fancy robes, does not need bodyguards, or weary pretty red slippers. He also does need a bank, and not only does he know all truth but is in fact the Spirit of Truth and there is no lie in Him. The Holy Spirit does not pray to Mary nor does He direct me to pray to Mary or any human that formerly lived on earth. He directs my heart to worship and adore Jesus Christ. If anyone is the "Vicar of Christ" on earth, it is the Holy Spirit. But men don't like walking by faith, they need someone physical to lead them. Sorry, Jesus said, "The Holy Spirit will come to lead you into all truth", not a sin prone man.

The Roman Catholic Church, has co-opted history replacing true history with their revisionist history, co-opted the ROCK, replacing Jesus with a man (Peter), co-opted the Holy Spirit, replacing Him with a man (pope) and co-opted the Church replacing the Church in the Wilderness with the Church in Rome. What else? These are the major coups, but there are more.

Stop taking us all for fools.

We are fools for Christ sake, but we won't be fools for Rome's sake.

Axehead

"Far from Rome, near to God"

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Mungo said:
You just want to pick a fight.

Grow up.
-- Hmmmm.... how may fights are ever avoided by telling someone to "grow up" :D
In order for Benedict to have been Christ's 'Vicar' then Christ would have had to intend him to quit part way through his "for life" gig.

But again, as I said, Benedict at least wasn't as corrupt or downright evil as some of the other 'Vicars' that - according to Catholics - Christ Himself helped select.
Just a snapshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bad_Popes

The selection of this man for the new Pope was a stroke of political genius.....but the process has again shown that God has little to do with the selection.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the former pope is still called to be Christ's representative on Earth, just like you are Foreigner, although with a lot less sarcasm and jadedness toward other churches.......

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Axehead said:
Is the Holy Spirit subservient to the "Vicar" on earth? Or does the Holy Spirit lead and guide each Christian?

Jesus said, He must go away so the Holy Spirit (who teaches us all things could come). He did not say, "I must go away but the Vicar will teach you all things".

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

I can attest to the fact, through experience, that I have never needed a "Vicar". The Holy Spirit has done and continues to do what the Lord promised.

The Holy Spirit never calls it quits. He is with me 24x7x365. And he does not support homosexuality, much less any sin. The Holy Spirit is not interested in wearing fancy robes, does not need bodyguards, or weary pretty red slippers. He also does need a bank, and not only does he know all truth but is in fact the Spirit of Truth and there is no lie in Him. The Holy Spirit does not pray to Mary nor does He direct me to pray to Mary or any human that formerly lived on earth. He directs my heart to worship and adore Jesus Christ. If anyone is the "Vicar of Christ" on earth, it is the Holy Spirit. But men don't like walking by faith, they need someone physical to lead them. Sorry, Jesus said, "The Holy Spirit will come to lead you into all truth", not a sin prone man.

The Roman Catholic Church, has co-opted history replacing true history with their revisionist history, co-opted the ROCK, replacing Jesus with a man (Peter), co-opted the Holy Spirit, replacing Him with a man (pope) and co-opted the Church replacing the Church in the Wilderness with the Church in Rome. What else? These are the major coups, but there are more.

Stop taking us all for fools.

We are fools for Christ sake, but we won't be fools for Rome's sake.

Axehead

"Far from Rome, near to God"
In your quotations John was speaking to the aseembly of the apostles - the Church. He was not speaking to all individual Christians.

If the Holy Spriit is supposed to lead all christians into ALL TRUTH as they claim then he is a complete failure. The thousands of Protestant denominations all claiming to be led by the Holy Spirit into all truth, yet teaching numerous conflicting doctrines, bear testimony to that.

Jesus promised that His Church would be teach the truth. It is the Church that is the pillar and bulwark of truth not each individual Christian.

You claim too much for yourself.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
It is the Holy Spirit who is the Spirit of Truth which resides in each Christian.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 7:17 is written to ANY MAN, not just the Apostles.

The RCC through the centuries has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, (abysmally so) that it is not the bulwark of any truth.

Can you tell me the answer to this? if the Holy Spirit is not leading people to pray to Mary and only and always points to people to Christ, then who or what man or spirit is guiding people to Mary?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Axehead said:
It is the Holy Spirit who is the Spirit of Truth which resides in each Christian.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 7:17 is written to ANY MAN, not just the Apostles.

Let's look at the context of that because Jesus is NOT speaking of the Holy
Spirit residing in each person. Jesus is answering the Jews who ask (vs 15)

"How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?"

16 So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent
me;

17 if any man's will is to do his will, he shall know whether the teaching
is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.

18 He who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but he who seeks
the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.

The Holy Spirit is never mentioned or referred to.

Jesus says that if they want to do the Father’s will then they listen to Jesus
and know that his teaching comes from God

Jesus does NOT say that the Holy Spirit will guide each Christian into the
truth.

So my claIm that in John 14 Jesus is promising that the Holy Spirit will lead his Church into all truth still stands.

Axehead said:
The RCC through the centuries has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, (abysmally so) that it is not the bulwark of any truth.

Untrue. The Catholic Church has always proclaimed true doctrine.

Axehead said:
Can you tell me the answer to this? if the Holy Spirit is not leading people to pray to Mary and only and always points to people to Christ, then who or what man or spirit is guiding people to Mary?
I do not accept your premise and you provide no evidence for it.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Mungo said:
Jesus does NOT say that the Holy Spirit will guide each Christian into the
truth.

So my claIm that in John 14 Jesus is promising that the Holy Spirit will lead his Church into all truth still stands.

Untrue. The Catholic Church has always proclaimed true doctrine.

I do not accept your premise and you provide no evidence for it.
It's so very sad that your leaders official policy "the interpreted meaning" of the verse is to keep men in darkness.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rex said:
It's so very sad that your leaders official policy "the interpreted meaning" of the verse is to keep men in darkness.
Our leaders are not keeping anyone in darkess.

What a silly thing to say.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Mungo said:

I have much postive things to say and do so all the time in my posts. I can not help if someone else Does Not see the mighty works of God as a positive thing, or the fact that healing is of God's hand not man's, or that to kill for any reason is Wrong and thou shalt not kill or murder which means bring death to another human being rather by tongue or with physical weapon in their hands.
I am sorry that you find these things anti-positive. I find them Very Positive!

As for them chooseing a disciple to take Judas' place
Acts 1:23-26
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
KJV

I have often wondered though if the Lord really chose Matthias or if Paul is really the 12th apostle. I say this because it just says Matthias was numbered with the eleven, it does not say that the Lord approved, but they did seek the Lord's guidence. To send someone to lead must always be the Lord's choice, not leaning on our own understanding for we do not know the hearts of men, but the Lord does. And you will always see them praying or that the hand of the Lord was upon them or with them etc...
Especially when the position of one is so important as the role of the pope who is supposed to take office as leader of the true? church they say... the Lord is the only one who can say. They clearly chose the new pope by man's wisdom using carnal knowledge of who the MAN was. And as for the prophecy.. Hammerstone hit the nail on the head when he revealed the name of the original St. Francis who's was from Italy name Pietro= Peter Rock in Italian

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
afaithfulone4u said:
I have much postive things to say and do so all the time in my posts. I can not help if someone else Does Not see the mighty works of God as a positive thing, or the fact that healing is of God's hand not man's, or that to kill for any reason is Wrong and thou shalt not kill or murder which means bring death to another human being rather by tongue or with physical weapon in their hands.
I am sorry that you find these things anti-positive. I find them Very Positive!

As for them chooseing a disciple to take Judas' place
Acts 1:23-26
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
KJV

I have often wondered though if the Lord really chose Matthias or if Paul is really the 12th apostle. I say this because it just says Matthias was numbered with the eleven, it does not say that the Lord approved, but they did seek the Lord's guidence. To send someone to lead must always be the Lord's choice, not leaning on our own understanding for we do not know the hearts of men, but the Lord does. And you will always see them praying or that the hand of the Lord was upon them or with them etc...
Especially when the position of one is so important as the role of the pope who is supposed to take office as leader of the true? church they say... the Lord is the only one who can say. They clearly chose the new pope by man's wisdom using carnal knowledge of who the MAN was. And as for the prophecy.. Hammerstone hit the nail on the head when he revealed the name of the original St. Francis who's was from Italy name Pietro= Peter Rock in Italian

The Cardinals in the Conclave did pray for the Lord's guidance.

And Catholics around the world were praying for the Cardinals to be guided by God in their choice.

So what is the problem?