No Smart Phone!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to have a phone that does not have an "operating system".

well they're little computers, so...
they kind of need a framework to do their computing in.

honestly i don't think it's something you need to be scared about.
if someone is tracking my phone they're going to be bored out of their minds seeing me go to work, to the grocery store, once every couple of months visit a friend, and checking Christian theology discussion boards, looking up things in the Bible, and streaming sermons.

so what?

i mean if you are secretly organizing a rebellion against the government or dealing in kidnap victims or terrorism, maybe you've got something to be concerned over. but as for me, i'm not ashamed of what i do or where i go. a city on a hill cannot be hid - why try?

but i understand your anxiety.
there are a lot of people who spread a lot of anxiety, and many who actually make a lot of money doing so!
my opinion tho is don't be freaked out. you can turn off GPS services and tracking data and things in your phone if you don't want them on, but the thing they're doing with those is trying to show you 'smart' commercials with them, unless you're out committing felonies it's more of an avoid-the-hassle-of-ads thing than anything else. just look through the settings on the phone or get someone you know who is nearby to help you look at them in person. everything that tracks data other than what is necessary for the phone to work as a phone is able to be turned off. the default settings are usually 'on' tho, so it takes a little time to go through setting a device up to be more private.

as a Christian if i'm afraid of being persecuted for my Christianity i think i'm not much of a Christian. apart from that, what am i afraid of? every hidden thing will be made plain, one day.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in your phone's 'settings' menu you can turn off GPS services. then your location won't be triangulated by satellites,
That's just for you. GPS remains enabled, and you cannot turn it off on smart phones, or phones with operating systems. This is a big part of what the powers that be desire for smart phones.

but any kind of celluar service necessarily involves beaming phone calls to your phone, so they obviously have to figure out where your phone is, at least, which tower it's closest to, because that's the tower your phone call is being relayed through.

Actually, according to what I've been reading, 5G is very different from 2-4G, more like comparing radio and microwave transmission. From what I understand!

you do realize that when you had a landline phone the phone company knew exactly what your address was, right? lol
that's how they sent the phone calls to the right house.
No . . . I did not know that!

do you have things to hide?

Hm. How will the beast know where to find you?

Do you really think that is the worst thing people will do with what they have at their disposal?

Have you ever noticed that on YouTube, when you select a video, and you see the "suggestions" on the side column, and you click one, and from that page click another, the suggestions get darker and darker, not matter what you are starting from? So that you can be listening to Godly music, but pretty soon the suggestions are going to show death metal?

Why would they want to do that? What is so benign about smart phones?

Of course, the NSA is intercepting and storing and analyzing every single text and phone call in America, looking for key words, making connections, storing information. They don't need to be listening in to every call, they have warehouses full of state of the art computers that are sufficient for the task. They don't need to listen in. Just, "Show Christians in Fort Worth, and their current location. Show family and friend associations."

And distribute the report to your local jackbooted thugs, the brownshirts.

That's not today, but coming soon to a city near you. If not in the immediate future, soon enough I think!

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you can always just buy one that's 'unlocked' -- you don't have to depend on a carrier for that.
The problem is finding one, and then I'd need to switch carriers, and then it would only be for a year or so.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well they're little computers, so...
they kind of need a framework to do their computing in.
See, that's the thing. My previous phone didn't have an "operating system", it didn't need one, it was just a phone.

but i understand your anxiety.

I don't get the feeling you do.

This is more a policy decision.

Much love!

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is finding one, and then I'd need to switch carriers, and then it would only be for a year or so.

Much love!

you won't need to switch carriers for an 'unlocked phone'

'locked' phones are only usable for a specific carrier. unlocked ones can be used with any carrier.
the one ATT gave you is most likely only able to be used with ATT

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but the thing they're doing with those is trying to show you 'smart' commercials with them,
Personally, and no offence intended, but I think this is very naive.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you won't need to switch carriers for an 'unlocked phone'

'locked' phones are only usable for a specific carrier. unlocked ones can be used with any carrier.
the one ATT gave you is most likely only able to be used with ATT
No, but I'd have to switch carriers to use 2g or 3g.

Much love!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, and no offence intended, but I think this is very naive.

Much love!

it's only naive if you're involved in criminal activity, that the governing authorities have a reason to single you out of tens of millions of people to track.

it's math. 200,000,000 people using cellphones daily in the USA.
generously ***maybe** 10,000 people whose 8-hr-a-day job it is to keep tabs on someone's activity.
that's 199,990,000 people no one has time to worry about.

are you dangerous enough to be one of the 10,000 people whose location the police care about?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, but I'd have to switch carriers to use 2g or 3g.

Much love!

oh, that -- yeah, to keep an older phone and use it for sending pictures or making use of the internet.

you can still use it for phone calls tho -- 2g/3g/4g etc is only about data services.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
settings → GPS services → OFF
That only switches it off for you. The privacy policy of KaiOS, who supplies the operating system in my semi-smart phone, makes it very clear they they will database your location data regardless of any phone settings.

These phones are called trackers for a reason.

We don't need civil liberties when we are not threatened. We need them when we are. The first amendment doesn't come into play when no one is objecting to your speech. You only need the first amendment when your speech is being censored. Just like this. Who cares that they are tracking you right now? But there will come a time, I think!

Just imagine if this communist coup completes it's takeover! Or when the Beast comes. Ask people in China how benign government tracking and surveillance is. And America is right on it's way to totalitarian fascism.

For me, it's all about limiting my footprint. It just seems like a good idea, to me, to my wife.

My trust is in God. And I trust Him to lead me.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it's math. 200,000,000 people using cellphones daily in the USA.
generously ***maybe** 10,000 people whose 8-hr-a-day job it is to keep tabs on someone's activity.
that's 199,990,000 people no one has time to worry about.
Computers, my friend! They do the heavy lifting.

Much love!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That only switches it off for you. The privacy policy of KaiOS, who supplies the operating system in my semi-smart phone, makes it very clear they they will database your location data regardless of any phone settings.

These phones are called trackers for a reason.

We don't need civil liberties when we are not threatened. We need them when we are. The first amendment doesn't come into play when no one is objecting to your speech. You only need the first amendment when your speech is being censored. Just like this. Who cares that they are tracking you right now? But there will come a time, I think!

Just imagine if this communist coup completes it's takeover! Or when the Beast comes. Ask people in China how benign government tracking and surveillance is. And America is right on it's way to totalitarian fascism.

For me, it's all about limiting my footprint. It just seems like a good idea, to me, to my wife.

My trust is in God. And I trust Him to lead me.

Much love!

are you worried someone will discover that you go to church?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

Hi, don’t know if your familiar with a de-googled phone, don’t know if there any good myself, but thought you might want to check them out?

In the Beloved, Not me

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh, that -- yeah, to keep an older phone and use it for sending pictures or making use of the internet.
Just to make phone calls and send texts.

OH, and I object to the fact that they are going to raise my rates now that I have a "smart phone". But we'll see about that when the time comes. My wife is a formidible force on the phone with ATT!

:eek:

busrider

Aug 5, 2021
So Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to make phone calls and send texts.

OH, and I object to the fact that they are going to raise my rates now that I have a "smart phone". But we'll see about that when the time comes. My wife is a formidible force on the phone with ATT!

:eek:

you can get a non-data voice & text plan only, but it means also no pictures in text messages.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

Hi, don’t know if your familiar with a de-googled phone, don’t know if there any good myself, but thought you might want to check them out?

In the Beloved, Not me

I like this guy. I'm going to check this out.

Much love!

Reactions: Not me