No Smart Phone!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATT sent me a letter that they are going to end my 3g service, and will send me the phone they want me to use.

Does anyone know of a cell phone provider who offers old style phone service, without apps and all that?

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Mark, the frequencies that are used in the USA for mobile phones are as follows: -

upload_2021-7-7_10-19-36.png

Associated with the above frequencies, is the software protocols that converts the digital signal that allows a mobile phone to transfer voice communications between the various mobile phones of the various cell tower providers that allow the user to talk with other people in the USA.

As can be seen above, the frequencies that your particular phone uses may not be available for your phone to use, particularly the GSM/UMTS/HSPA+ frequencies and if your existing phone uses these particular frequencies then it will not work after the 3G network tower antennas and associated hardware are no longer in use. Also the software that enables the phone you are presently using to work may not be compatible for the 4G networks.

The phone that AT&T will send you may just be a base model which means that it may not have data roaming capabilities and as such the normal available APPS cannot be used. If on the other hand the new phone can be "turned on" to enable data roaming, then is your choice as to what plan that you may purchase from your mobile network provider.

I would advise you to check your existing plan and compare it with any new plan that the service provider is offering you. If they are offering you data roaming, then simply ask if you can have that cost removed from the plan that they are offering. In all likely hood, the base level for data roaming may be built into your new plan, if that is the case, and it will be charged fro whether or not you use it or not.

Shalom

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You may want to consider an alternative carrier. They use the same towers as major carriers and provide cheaper services. Then just get yourself an unlocked basic phone from Amazon that supports their frequencies. And see if they can mail you a SIM card to bring your own device to their network.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may want to consider an alternative carrier. They use the same towers as major carriers and provide cheaper services. Then just get yourself an unlocked basic phone from Amazon that supports their frequencies. And see if they can mail you a SIM card to bring your own device to their network.
I got the phone they offered, and I've been checking around. It's fairly dumbed down, and seems the best we're going to do without taking a big step backwards in service, and that only for a short time til the networks are all shut off over the next 1-2 years.

5G, I've just learned, will beam a signal to your phone's location, meaning, they will now be able to pinpoint your location within a foot or two in three dimensions.

The time will come when well need to ditch our phones!

Much love!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got the phone they offered, and I've been checking around. It's fairly dumbed down, and seems the best we're going to do without taking a big step backwards in service, and that only for a short time til the networks are all shut off over the next 1-2 years.

5G, I've just learned, will beam a signal to your phone's location, meaning, they will now be able to pinpoint your location within a foot or two in three dimensions.

The time will come when well need to ditch our phones!

Much love!

Unfortunately, that's the nature of cellphones, i.e. they can track your location. Your location has to be known for them to work and they have been able to do this to varying degrees of accuracy for many years now. If you want a phone, but don't want to be tracked constantly, then turn it off except when you want to use it (it would only be for that short time). Both you and others then have to have an understanding that you cannot be reached unless you check in often.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, that's the nature of cellphones, i.e. they can track your location. Your location has to be known for them to work and they have been able to do this to varying degrees of accuracy for many years now. If you want a phone, but don't want to be tracked constantly, then turn it off except when you want to use it (it would only be for that short time). Both you and others then have to have an understanding that you cannot be reached unless you check in often.
I'm exploring ways to nullify the GPS antenna. When the time comes to toss the phone, I'm not going to leave my wife's side for a moment.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was told years ago that the band width allocation for Mobile Phones was going to shift to make more room for the military's need for a broader band width allocation in the radio spectrum for their communication needs.

What we are seeing in the switching off of the 3G and the eventual switching off of the 4G networks is this shift in the bandwidth allocations coming into effect.

Every digital camera that we use today has, embedded in the Metadata, for each picture, the GPS co-ordinates from where the camera took the picture. The metadata may also contain the direction and elevation that the camera was pointing in. This information is important from a historical record perspective in matching pictures taken over time for a particular area in the world as it enables researchers to monitor the changes occurring around the world over time. Since every smart mobile phone today is also a camera, the GPS functionality is recorded in the Metadata for the photographs taken. The GPS data also enables us to reconstruct where we were when the picture was taken.

Because Smart phones are also used to help people navigate to where they are wanting to go, the GPS' starting point of where the phone is is required so that the navigation feature of the phone App can work to enable people to discover where they are and how they can then travel to where they would like to go. This can be done in real time in conjunction with the digital maps and the traffic density maps that help in computing the faster probable route that one should take to get to the destination as quickly as possible.

A smart phone is only as smart as you allow it to be, and it can remain a "dumb" phone, if that is all that you may want it to be.

Becoming paranoid over the "smart" phone that we own is really not healthy for us. Like any tool, it is good to have but when the battery goes "flat," we have to be able to rely on our own "smarts" to navigate our life for the required outcomes that we desire. For example if we do not have the head knowledge to be able to work out the direction that north is in, then we will have trouble extracting ourselves from being lost when we get lost and we only have our wits to "save" us.

Having the right connections is necessary for us to rely upon and that means that the metadata that we hold within our own skull becomes very important to help us lead a very fulfilling life.

Shalom

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm exploring ways to nullify the GPS antenna. When the time comes to toss the phone, I'm not going to leave my wife's side for a moment.

Much love!
Man will do as he will do . But no matter what is or what is to come against the lambs , WE GOT THE GLORIOUS LORD JESUS .
And to me , THAT IS , HE IS , ALL I NEED . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .
In the days ahead , marvel not one bit , if we see a unified mind that has only one goal . RID THE EARTH OF NON CONFORMING LAMBS .
Lets examine this though . If GOD allows them to beat me and throw me in prison , LET US REJOICE that GOD is allowing us to be counted
worthy to suffer shame For His name . IF WE DIE , WE ARE WITH HIM , WHICH IS FAR BETTER .
So allow me this one question . WHAT IS IT that man can really DO TO US . Exactly . JESUS IS WITH THE LAMBS and IF WE DIE
we are WITH HIM FOREVER . This world is gonna do as its gonna do , all i can do , IS POINT TO JESUS .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man will do as he will do . But no matter what is or what is to come against the lambs , WE GOT THE GLORIOUS LORD JESUS .
And to me , THAT IS , HE IS , ALL I NEED . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .
In the days ahead , marvel not one bit , if we see a unified mind that has only one goal . RID THE EARTH OF NON CONFORMING LAMBS .
Lets examine this though . If GOD allows them to beat me and throw me in prison , LET US REJOICE that GOD is allowing us to be counted
worthy to suffer shame For His name . IF WE DIE , WE ARE WITH HIM , WHICH IS FAR BETTER .
So allow me this one question . WHAT IS IT that man can really DO TO US . Exactly . JESUS IS WITH THE LAMBS and IF WE DIE
we are WITH HIM FOREVER . This world is gonna do as its gonna do , all i can do , IS POINT TO JESUS .
Amen!

But you know what Paul wrote, that the married man is divided, caring for wife.

All man can do is terrify us, hurt us, and ultimately send us to Jesus. In those afflictions He will be there.

Saul! Why are you persecuting ME?

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!

But you know what Paul wrote, that the married man is divided, caring for wife.

All man can do is terrify us, hurt us, and ultimately send us to Jesus. In those afflictions He will be there.

Saul! Why are you persecuting ME?

Much love!
The time will come and even now is that the true lambs will have to gather in small groups and look out for one another .
This world , this nation nor the other nations are going to goback to how it was .
It will only get worse from here on out .
Let us be as men that wait for their Lord . Be ready and be watching . Cause one thing i do know
While it dont feel good to be whipped , beaten , etc , That pales in comparision to what the wrath of GOD is gonna do to those who rejected Christ .
Let us put all armour on . And let the Lord be praised .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A smart phone is only as smart as you allow it to be, and it can remain a "dumb" phone, if that is all that you may want it to be.
I'm of the view that the makers of the phones and apps routinely include features that will benefit them at our expense.

I'm sure you've heard it said, when the "product" is "free", that means YOU are the product, and you are being sold.

There is only so much dumbing down that can be done, when features are build into the phone.

Becoming paranoid over the "smart" phone that we own is really not healthy for us.

Paranoia is unhealthy fear, unreasoned fear. So who is being paranoid? I know they want to track me, and I don't wish to be tracked. KaiOS even states they maintain a location database, which means they store your movements, for sale, and analysis.

we have to be able to rely on our own "smarts" to navigate our life for the required outcomes that we desire.
Um . . . I don't need my phone for that. I just want to make phone calls and send texts. That's all. I know, many people have chomped on the "carrot" and swallowed the pill, and that's up to them. I don't need it, I don't want it, and I'm better off without it.

Smart phones tend to be addictive, they are designed that way. If you want it, great, more power to you. No need to denigrate me for making a different choice though.

For example if we do not have the head knowledge to be able to work out the direction that north is in, then we will have trouble extracting ourselves from being lost when we get lost and we only have our wits to "save" us.

Having the right connections is necessary for us to rely upon and that means that the metadata that we hold within our own skull becomes very important to help us lead a very fulfilling life.

Let's just say that's not an issue for me. No smart phone!!

How many centuries did we get along without them?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The time will come and even now is that the true lambs will have to gather in small groups and look out for one another .
This world , this nation nor the other nations are going to goback to how it was .
It will only get worse from here on out .
Let us be as men that wait for their Lord . Be ready and be watching . Cause one thing i do know
While it dont feel good to be whipped , beaten , etc , That pales in comparision to what the wrath of GOD is gonna do to those who rejected Christ .
Let us put all armour on . And let the Lord be praised .

Being whipped and beated for the Lord's sake . . . we should ask, why do we suppose the disciples went away rejoicing after being beaten by order of the Sanhedrin? Why were Paul and Silas singing praises after being beaten and locked into stocks? Could it be because God gives more grace?

Much love!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have a cell phone.
There are a lot of apps or websites that I would like to look at, but you have to give your mobile number in order to do it.
I'm not that curious.
Those are the carrots... and once they got you, they bring out the sticks.
I worry about breaking down on the way to the store in my delapitated car.
But I know if I put my flashers on and my hood up and wave my arms in the air, eventually someone will stop.
And they will have a phone and I can call triple A and have the tow truck come get me.

It's all about convienence.
Convienence or freedom... that's your choice.

Hugs

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATT sent me a letter that they are going to end my 3g service, and will send me the phone they want me to use.

Does anyone know of a cell phone provider who offers old style phone service, without apps and all that?

Much love!

you can always just buy one that's 'unlocked' -- you don't have to depend on a carrier for that.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

also you always have the option of simply not using data, if data offends you.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

that's no different than 4g, 3g, 2g, or 1g.

in your phone's 'settings' menu you can turn off GPS services. then your location won't be triangulated by satellites, and weather apps won't be able to tell you if a hurricane is about to hit you anymore. but any kind of celluar service necessarily involves beaming phone calls to your phone, so they obviously have to figure out where your phone is, at least, which tower it's closest to, because that's the tower your phone call is being relayed through.

you do realize that when you had a landline phone the phone company knew exactly what your address was, right? lol
that's how they sent the phone calls to the right house.

there are hundreds of millions of people in this country with cell phones, marks. billions across the world. no one is sitting around watching all of them out to get you. that would take hundreds of millions of people 24/7 watching everyone's boring lives. do you have things to hide?
the worst they can do is send you an ad for Hardee's because they think you're within 20 miles of one.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
also you always have the option of simply not using data, if data offends you.
The part I mostly don't care for is the the manufacturers built features into the phone that you cannot turn off. Smart phones, I think all of them, enable real time tracking and surveillance without the ability to "switch it off". Data doesn't offend me, it's only that, data, information. But information in hands that will misuse it is power, and that power will be used against the people.

I would like to have a phone that does not have an "operating system".

Much love!

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

settings → GPS services → OFF