Non-Beneficial practices

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I seriously do not want to make this sound judgmental because that would be taking things way too far, IMO; modern Christians don't attach the same religious significance to things like the "Christmas" tree anyway as they did back in Jeremiah's day (when it was obviously called something different).

But if you want to know my thoughts on that particular subject, I stopped decorating trees decades ago when I realized it is actually an ancient representation of what works out in our modern understanding to be the Antichrist. Too much to explain the pagan mythologies, but I figured decorating the Antichrist every year was not really my cup of tea, LoL. But I have kept what I regard to be the truly Christian aspects of the holiday to this day. I like playing beautiful DVDs with Christmas Carols in the background music and with scriptures included in caption. And I really don't mind all the lights. Makes the neighborhoods much more beautiful, IMO.

But that's just me. To each his own and I don't judge others that still do a tree every year. They have no idea what they're doing anyway, so it's not like it's the end of the world, at least not to me anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Uuuuuuggggg. Sometimes I wonder if studying these things are important. Because I really do miss being a child again and just having fun on these days. And now I have two young kids and I have to choose for them. I work at a preschool with kids who look up to me. Hubby is always just supporting what I decide, which is nice. But I do not want to be one with "lack of knowledge or rejection of knowledge", which I have had over the years. I want my decisions to benefit my kids rather then take something special away from them. Easter eggs/Halloween, eh... But Christmas, I see a lot of good in the traditions. The tree, the cat destroys it. Symbolic of us overcoming the antichrist/world, right!!!! :D seriously though, when in doubt, I will pray. Holy Spirit will lead me in all Truth.

Reactions: Wynona and tsr

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the grace of the one true GOD , and i do say grace , HE PUT ME IN ONE BOOK and ONE BOOK ALONE .
Any guesses what that book might be . YEAH you guess it , THE BIBLE . Learn it well and love every Word of THE LORD .
For the words of GOD , inspired by HIM , works good unto the hearer and the doer . But not good unto the hearer only .
Let us learn well the biblical JESUS . i have found far too many versions of JESUS being taught and they are not adding up
to the biblical one . That makes it another jesus , NOT JESUS . Its real simple really . STAY In the bible
and learn it well . THE LORD will give us all we need . And on that note , I SAY the TOD , or TIME ON DECK IS
as stands , ITS LORD PRAISING TIME . YES IT IS . LIFT THOSE HANDS and LET THE GLORIOUS LORD BE PRAISED and thanked
continuously . REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS and in the LORD REJOICE . LET us ensure its the biblical JESUS , that we do love
and follow . FOr any other jesus , is NOT JESUS .

:) Preach it, brother. God is so very good to us. I am grateful for what He is doing and showing us. Just loving the garments of praise and how they get me back on focus on the God who is worthy of all praise! :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tree, the cat destroys it. Symbolic of us overcoming the antichrist/world, right!!!! :D

LoL!!

Look. Every year I watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! My wife even bought me a T-shirt for it:

d49ea876bc0f8a0ff194174c991f002b.jpg

Mine's yellow.

And every year I watch Charlie Brown Christmas. It's not just a tradition, it's cuz it returns me to my childhood as well. So I don't know what to tell you, LoL. All I can say is that you try not to let culture overcome Christ in raising your kids. I think that's Paul's driving point. Don't be so inconsiderate of others that you let the culture around you effect them in a negative way spiritually. :)

Reactions: Mayflower

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
There is really no day that is in itself either safe or dangerous, but people do make them into something. Celebrating personal birthdays of family and friends could be an innocent enjoyable thing, but even that for some has been declared off limits. How many people have been born on every day of the year? How many holidays have been declared across the calendar on behalf of effective devils?

Make 'good' use of the times provided. That is if you are given a work day off for a holiday, do good things with friends and family no matter how evil the original known origin of the occasion may seem to be. Of course if some celebrations bother you too much simply keep your hands off of it.

Can we or should we wipe our calendar clean celebrating no special days all so that we don't somewhere down the line turn it into some sort of pagan celebration? People who want to sin will do it any way one way or the other.

What does God want us to do with our time? Would He not want us to use properly all of the "very good" which remains for us of His creation? But... let us not unnecessarily corrupt any more of it either.

Should we not be led in these choices also by the Holy Spirit? Ask God about such when we are talking to Him. Will He not help us walk in the right direction?
I think it's the origin and the history behind it that makes it so dangerous like a wolf in sheeps clothing...
Example: I didn't know Valentine's Day is named after St. Valentine who was beheaded for marrying Christian couples
1. The St. Valentine who inspired the holiday may have been two different men.
Officially recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, St. Valentine is known to be a real person who died around A.D. 270. However, his true identity was questioned as early as A.D. 496 by Pope Gelasius I, who referred to the martyr and his acts as “being known only to God.” One account from the 1400s describes Valentine as a temple priest who was beheaded near Rome by the emperor Claudius II for helping Christian couples wed. A different account claims Valentine was the Bishop of Terni, also martyred by Claudius II on the outskirts of Rome. Because of the similarities of these accounts, it’s thought they may refer to the same person. Enough confusion surrounds the true identity of St. Valentine that the Catholic Church discontinued liturgical veneration of him in 1969, though his name remains on its list of officially recognized saints.
2. In all, there are about a dozen St. Valentines, plus a pope.
The saint we celebrate on Valentine’s Day is known officially as St. Valentine of Rome in order to differentiate him from the dozen or so other Valentines on the list. Because “Valentinus”—from the Latin word for worthy, strong or powerful—was a popular moniker between the second and eighth centuries A.D., several martyrs over the centuries have carried this name. The official Roman Catholic roster of saints shows about a dozen who were named Valentine or some variation thereof. The most recently beatified Valentine is St. Valentine Berrio-Ochoa, a Spaniard of the Dominican order who traveled to Vietnam, where he served as bishop until his beheading in 1861. Pope John Paul II canonized Berrio-Ochoa in 1988. There was even a Pope Valentine, though little is known about him except that he served a mere 40 days around A.D. 827.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continue:
But society turned it into a pagan holiday and instead of celebrating St. Valentine and his stand in marriage it is now Cupid and lover's day of romance

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Whatever is good, not merely originates in Christianity is noble. See Philippians 4:8.

Somehow this outstanding scripture in the OP turned into the converse. All things are from God. Not all good things have to be Christian to be good. For instance, medical and scientific accomplishments, business creating material wealth and inventions in technology like the internet, cars, planes, telephone, radio, etc.

God uses all things for his purpose.

I’ve had great conversations with unbelievers originating with all manner of non-Christian topics and excuses to celebrate. I used their enthusiasm to steer them toward God. Just last weekend I was talking to a recovering meth addict. We met by a bonfire in s neighbors yard. By the grace of God, he saw the light of Christ. Praise God!

I understand your argument here, Wrangler, and I agree with it, only it is not what the verse in the OP was talking about.

"All things are permissible, but not all things are of benefit. All things are permissible, but not all things build people up." (1 Corinthians 10:23)

In context, Paul was talking about eating meat sacrificed to demonic spirits, not technological breakthroughs of the time. The discussion was about observing customs which had serious religious significance and consequences.

Agreed with both here. I used to dress up and hand out tracts and things with candy to the kids. But then I would see children dressed up in gohsts or devil's, and zombies. Kids from my church with the pastor right with them. And I would really feel uncomfortable with that. God works things for good, but I do not believe the night honors Him. I think it mixes light and darkness together and God's Word speaks about this. Other things are more unclear, and I trust God with what I don't know and ask for conviction in what I do know that is not beneficial in my Christian walk. Saying that, if someone talks to me about Halloween and things, I'm not going to think any less of them. I won't join Halloween parties though.

That is so wonderful about your friend!!!! Praise God he saw the light!!!! :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's the origin and the history behind it that makes it so dangerous like a wolf in sheeps clothing...
Example: I didn't know Valentine's Day is named after St. Valentine who was beheaded for marrying Christian couples
1. The St. Valentine who inspired the holiday may have been two different men.
Officially recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, St. Valentine is known to be a real person who died around A.D. 270. However, his true identity was questioned as early as A.D. 496 by Pope Gelasius I, who referred to the martyr and his acts as “being known only to God.” One account from the 1400s describes Valentine as a temple priest who was beheaded near Rome by the emperor Claudius II for helping Christian couples wed. A different account claims Valentine was the Bishop of Terni, also martyred by Claudius II on the outskirts of Rome. Because of the similarities of these accounts, it’s thought they may refer to the same person. Enough confusion surrounds the true identity of St. Valentine that the Catholic Church discontinued liturgical veneration of him in 1969, though his name remains on its list of officially recognized saints.
2. In all, there are about a dozen St. Valentines, plus a pope.
The saint we celebrate on Valentine’s Day is known officially as St. Valentine of Rome in order to differentiate him from the dozen or so other Valentines on the list. Because “Valentinus”—from the Latin word for worthy, strong or powerful—was a popular moniker between the second and eighth centuries A.D., several martyrs over the centuries have carried this name. The official Roman Catholic roster of saints shows about a dozen who were named Valentine or some variation thereof. The most recently beatified Valentine is St. Valentine Berrio-Ochoa, a Spaniard of the Dominican order who traveled to Vietnam, where he served as bishop until his beheading in 1861. Pope John Paul II canonized Berrio-Ochoa in 1988. There was even a Pope Valentine, though little is known about him except that he served a mere 40 days around A.D. 827.

I know it by "Love Day.". I think this is what I will emphasize to my kids here.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think things can be used to share God's Word, but Holy Spirit is enough to draw people to Him. A holiday doesn't save people. Jesus does. He is enough. Events are nice though!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think things can be used to share God's Word, but Holy Spirit is enough to draw people to Him. A holiday doesn't save people. Jesus does. He is enough. Events are nice though!
To the babes in Christ even a simple holiday becomes a door the enemy enters in at.
The question is about doors we open to the enemy....secular pagan holidays are doors if you worship the image of it.
A mature Christian can distinguish between real and fiction....children can't unless taught.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In context, Paul was talking about eating meat sacrificed to demonic spirits, not technological breakthroughs of the time. The discussion was about observing customs which had serious religious significance and consequences.

I realize the context of Scripture but take the OP to be talking about today. The Amish somewhat shun modern technology. But technology was only an example. My point was not about technology but recognizing things do not have to be Christian to be good - and beneficial in building people up.

There is a saying I know a lot of Christians oppose; All paths lead to God. OK, all paths lead to Jesus. I care not where people are that I meet for I meet them where they are. Then, I am all things to all people so that I might save some in leading them to Christ.

My neighbors 21 year old unwed daughter is pregnant. After suffering from some health problems in 2020, my neighbor thought out loud in saying I am friends with ... then rattled of himself, his children, his wife ... then said in reaching a conclusion, that I am friends with everybody. I never* talk to them about religion. It is not their interest. What is of interest to them is they KNOW I love them from my consistent actions and they seek my counsel on life events. To paraphrase the saying, I preach the Gospel to them every day, even if I don't use words. (I use whatever is going on in their secular lives).

* Almost never. I did talk to the eldest son a few times and gave him an Every Man's Bible.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize the context of Scripture but take the OP to be talking about today. The Amish somewhat shun modern technology. But technology was only an example. My point was not about technology but recognizing things do not have to be Christian to be good - and beneficial in building people up.

I understand :). Only I think she was actually asking in light of the New Testament understanding. At least that's the way I took it, anyway.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do origins hold any bearing on things today as Christians?
Anything which has an occultic origin is automatically taboo. Connections with Eastern religions will be included in that, and so will connections with shamanic religions. Secret societies such as Freemasonry do not mix with Christianity either.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What positive effects has not adhering to a pagan practice/ practices, done for you in your life for those who have?

LILAC

May 18, 2021
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jeremiah 10:2
Hosea 4:6
Matthew 6:24

Out of my own personal convictions, things of this practice would be a no. But you, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling in the Lord. Personally, I'm done ticking off God intentionally. lol I'd rather be right with Him and wrong to the world.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I try to follow the Law, but I've never read the Law as requiring believers to examine every aspect of their lives with a fine-toothed comb over what is "pagan" or not. I see the bunnies and eggs as well as the wreaths and trees and lights at Christmas as simply extraneous. They're just not necessary to observe those occasions, and it's to the point now where I'm put off when I see those emblems, not out of "paganness", but because I consider them of making far more of a spectacle than needs to be. As for yoga, I think for most people, it's just stretching, and they don't do it for spiritual reasons. I tend to stay away just because I don't have that flexibility and it's not much of a calorie burner.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I actually have a very different interpretation of the verse. I take it as saying that there is a difference between sinful transgressions and other mistakes that we make, particularly in judgement and behaviour. In other words, we humans do a lot of stupid and inappropriate things, but many don't actually qualify as sins.