Non-Beneficial practices

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I believe this way:

"All things are permitted, but not all things are of benefit. All things are permitted, but not all things build people up." 1 Corinthians 10:23

The thought has been brought up somewhere else that haikus have Buddhist origin and are far from Christian.

I have a question as far as lines drawn in things. What is beneficial versus what is not. Do origins hold any bearing on things today as Christians?

Things like Easter, I have given up bunnies and eggs. We called it Resurrection Sunday!!! Halloween I completely given up. But we keep Christmas. I know a few who do not do Christmas though...

Yoga is one I don't know much about, but probably best to steer away from. I love Zumba.

Thing is... God transforms everything He touches. He makes all things new....

What are y'all's thoughts. Where do you draw the line in what to keep and not keep? What if anything do you believe opens up doors for demonic oppression as far as using things from other cultures. Different practices. (Not about the use of tongues or charismatic practice please).

@Heart2Soul
@amadeus
@Hidden In Him
@LILAC
@TLHKAJ
@Pearl
@Amazed@grace
@amigo de christo
@Marvelloustime

Anyone welcome...

Scriptures and origin facts welcome...

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
545637bdaec5e443bc226b46027ec79b.jpg

When I was a child I loved those holidays. Come on! Gifts and candy? Yeah!

When I grew up I heard Valentine's day was invented by the greeting card companies to sell product.
Would make sense Christmas near winter solstice would move taxable inventory from stores before the next tax period that starts in January.

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I believe this way:

"All things are permitted, but not all things are of benefit. All things are permitted, but not all things build people up." 1 Corinthians 10:23

The thought has been brought up somewhere else that haikus have Buddhist origin, and therefore cannot be Christian.

I only bring this up because I do have a question as far as lines drawn in things. What is beneficial versus what is not. Do origins hold any bearing on things today as Christians?

Things like Easter, I have given up bunnies and eggs. We called it Resurrection Sunday!!! Halloween I completely given up. But we keep Christmas. I know a few who do not do Christmas though...

Yoga is one I don't know much about, but probably best to steer away from. I love Zumba.

What are y'all's thoughts. Where do you draw the line in what to keep and not keep? What if anything do you believe opens up doors for demonic oppression as far as using things from other cultures. Different practices. (Not about the use of tongues or charismatic practice please).

@Heart2Soul
@amadeus
@Hidden In Him
@LILAC
@TLHKAJ
@Pearl
@Amazed@grace
@amigo de christo
@Marvelloustime

Anyone welcome...

Let's put it this way. Regarding Haikus I think the application is ridiculous and over the top. But let me shine light on the part of the teaching that does need to be taken seriously: The danger in adopting pagan cultural practices is that they have always tended to push out godly ones. This is what happened with the early church regarding the holidays. If you actually look closely at the New Testament scriptures, while they were not being kept as a law, nor after the strictness of the Jews, early church Christians were nevertheless keeping some of the Jewish holidays after a spiritual manner. Not many realize it because it isn't taught, but this was true of:

1. Passover, and the Feast of Unleavened Bread:

Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth (1 Corinthians 5:7-8. See notes below*)

2. Pentecost:

For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus so that he would not have to spend time in Asia. For he was hurrying to be in Jerusalem, if possible, on the day of Pentecost. (Acts 20:16. See notes below)**

Now concerning the collection for the saints... when I come, whomsoever you shall approve by letters, them will I send to bring your liberality to Jerusalem... But I will remain in Ephesus until Pentecost. (1 Corinthians 16:1, 3, 8. See notes below)***

I won't slow up this post by giving evidences for why these verses suggest the church was keeping these things. I will just add some things in the notes. But the question is what happened? Certainly the church doesn't still keep these observances today, so why not? According to Tertullian, it was because pagan culture crept in, and they eventually abandoned them in favor of the pagan festivals instead.

Writing around the mid 3rd century, he stated the following:

By us, to whom Sabbaths and the New Moons and festivals formerly beloved by God are [now] strange, the Saturnalia and New-year's and Midwinter's festivals and Matronalia are [instead] frequented - presents come and go - New-year's gifts - games join their noise - banquets join their din! Oh, what better fidelity of the nations to their own sect, which claim no solemnity of the Christians for itself! Not the Lord's day, not Pentecost, even if they had known them, would they have shared with us, for they would fear lest they should seem to be Christians. But we are not apprehensive lest we seem to be heathens! (Tertullian, from On Idolatry)

In other words, he was saying the nations would have NEVER kept festivals like Pentecost with the Christians lest they seem weird, but the church now had no problem keeping pagan festivals instead. And we still observe New Years and Christianized holidays like Christmas and Easter today. This won't send a Christian to Hell, of course, but when we abandoned the spiritual observance of the Jewish festivals after the first few centuries, we abandoned festivals that actually had Christian meaning behind them when understood prophetically. Thus, we abandoned meditation upon Christian truths, and upon prophecies that were being fulfilled during New Testament times, as well as others that have not yet come to pass.

* The sentence that reads "Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened" is hard to make out unless one understands how the Feast of Unleavened Bread was literally observed by the Jews. In Exodus, a description is provided of how God wanted the nation to observe it. They were to remove leaven completely from their houses during the seven day period:

On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel... For seven days no leaven is to be found in your houses. If anyone eats what is leavened, that person will be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a sojourner or a native of the land. You shall eat nothing leavened. In all your dwelling places you shall eat only unleavened bread.” (Exodus 12:15-19-20)

There were Jewish Christians present in Gentile congregations like at Corinth, and these would have kept this observance quite literally. Thus, it appears that the phrase "just as you are in fact unleavened" was a reference to the entire congregation both Jew and Gentile removing leaven entirely from their houses at this time, in remembrance of the Jewish feast. Paul's displeasure, however, was that they were not keeping it in a spiritual sense. To keep the feast spiritually, they needed to remove false teaching from among them, which s what Jesus said the leaven represented (Matthew 16:6). They were clearly not doing so. One young man was "leavening the whole lump" by the immoral lifestyle he was living among them, thus spreading "leaven" throughout the congregation by the example he was setting (1 Corinthians 5:1-5).

The Feast of Unleavened Bread is also mentioned in Acts 20:6 and Acts 12:3-4, and without any further elaboration this suggests the Gentile Christians needed none, and knew exactly what this Jewish Feast was and when it was held. Thus, based upon the texts in Acts and 1st Corinthians, it appears the Gentile church not only understood what Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were, but observed them along with the Jewish Christians among them who would have had no reason not to. But again, the teaching was that no one needed to after the strict manner of the Jews now, for they were merely shadows of coming things.

**/*** Why would Paul have been hurrying to be in Jerusalem specifically for Pentecost if he was not desiring to attend it? It means that the apostle Paul kept Pentecost. And if so, wishing to "remain in Ephesus until Pentecost" suggests he was keeping it there as well. And if the apostle Paul was keeping it, the rest of the congregation likely honored it as well, even if only after a spiritual manner.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's put it this way. Regarding Haikus I think the application is ridiculous and over the top. But let me shine light on the part of the teaching that does need to be taken seriously: The danger in adopting pagan cultural practices is that they have always tended to push out godly ones. This is what happened with the early church regrading the holidays. If you actually look closely at the New Testament scriptures, while they were not being kept as a law, nor after the strictness of the Jews, early church Christians were nevertheless keeping some of the Jewish holidays after a spiritual manner. Not many realize it because it isn't taught, but this was true of:

Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth (1 Corinthians 5:7-8. See notes below*)

2. Pentecost:

For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus so that he would not have to spend time in Asia. For he was hurrying to be in Jerusalem, if possible, on the day of Pentecost. (Acts 20:16. See notes below)**

Now concerning the collection for the saints... when I come, whomsoever you shall approve by letters, them will I send to bring your liberality to Jerusalem... But I will remain in Ephesus until Pentecost. (1 Corinthians 16:1, 3, 8. See notes below)***

I won't slow up this post by giving evidences for why these verses suggest the church was keeping these things. I will just add some things in the notes. But the question is what happened? Certainly the church doesn't still keep these observances today, so why not? According to Tertullian, it was because pagan culture crept in, and they eventually abandoned them in favor of the pagan festivals instead.

By us, to whom Sabbaths and the New Moons and festivals formerly beloved by God are [now] strange, the Saturnalia and New-year's and Midwinter's festivals and Matronalia are [instead] frequented - presents come and go - New-year's gifts - games join their noise - banquets join their din! Oh, what better fidelity of the nations to their own sect, which claim no solemnity of the Christians for itself! Not the Lord's day, not Pentecost, even if they had known them, would they have shared with us, for they would fear lest they should seem to be Christians. But we are not apprehensive lest we seem to be heathens! (Tertullian, from On Idolatry)

In other words, he was saying the nations would have NEVER kept festivals like Pentecost with the Christians lest they seem weird, but the church now had no problem keeping pagan festivals instead. And we still observe New Years and Christianized holidays like Christmas and Easter today. This won't send a Christian to Hell, of course, but when we abandoned the spiritual observance of the Jewish festivals after the first few centuries, we abandoned festivals that actually had Christian meaning behind them when understood prophetically. Thus, we abandoned meditation upon Christian truths, and upon prophecies that were being fulfilled during New Testament times, as well as others that have not yet come to pass.

* The sentence that reads "Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened" is hard to make out unless one understands how the Feast of Unleavened Bread was literally observed by the Jews. In Exodus, a description is provided of how God wanted the nation to observe it. They were to remove leaven completely from their houses during the seven day period:

On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel... For seven days no leaven is to be found in your houses. If anyone eats what is leavened, that person will be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is a sojourner or a native of the land. You shall eat nothing leavened. In all your dwelling places you shall eat only unleavened bread.” (Exodus 12:15-19-20)

There were Jewish Christians present in Gentile congregations like at Corinth, and these would have kept this observance quite literally. Thus, it appears that the phrase "just as you are in fact unleavened" was a reference to the entire congregation both Jew and Gentile removing leaven entirely from their houses at this time, in remembrance of the Jewish feast. Paul's displeasure, however, was that they were not keeping it in a spiritual sense. To keep the feast spiritually, they needed to remove false teaching from among them, which s what Jesus said the leaven represented (Matthew 16:6). They were clearly not doing so. One young man was "leavening the whole lump" by the immoral lifestyle he was living among them, thus spreading "leaven" throughout the congregation by the example he was setting (1 Corinthians 5:1-5).

The Feast of Unleavened Bread is also mentioned in Acts 20:6 and Acts 12:3-4, and without any further elaboration this suggests the Gentile Christians needed none, and knew exactly what this Jewish Feast was and when it was held. Thus, based upon the texts in Acts and 1st Corinthians, it appears the Gentile church not only understood what Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were, but observed them along with the Jewish Christians among them who would have had no reason not to. But again, the teaching was that no one needed to after the strict manner of the Jews now, for they were merely shadows of coming things.

**/*** Why would Paul have been hurrying to be in Jerusalem specifically for Pentecost if he was not desiring to attend it? It means that the apostle Paul kept Pentecost. And if so, wishing to "remain in Ephesus until Pentecost" suggests he was keeping it there as well. And if the apostle Paul was keeping it, the rest of the congregation likely honored it as well, even if only after a spiritual manner.

I never have observed the Jewish traditional holidays. I have questioned as a Gentile if that would be beneficial, but have seen the calendar and heard the names of some.

I can see pagan cultural practices take over Christian practices. Music, books, movies, etc. The things in front of us daily, is the hardest to sift through in picking God's voice out of the noise. It just slowly seeps it's way in.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I believe this way:

The thought has been brought up somewhere else that haikus have Buddhist origin, and therefore cannot be Christian.

I only bring this up because I do have a question as far as lines drawn in things. What is beneficial versus what is not. Do origins hold any bearing on things today as Christians?

@Heart2Soul
@amadeus
@Hidden In Him
@LILAC
@TLHKAJ
@Pearl
@Amazed@grace
@amigo de christo
@Marvelloustime

Anyone welcome...

Any graven image... like a buddha statue or a sculpture of a pagan god or one that represents satan.
Cultural artifacts such as a dreamcatcher...
Any book that teaches witchcraft or has a historical foundation of being used by witches and sorcerers
Any book that teaches anything other than the Gospel of Jesus
Any worldly thing that your flesh desires...even food....movies, fantasy, x-rated films...etc.
Scary movies...
Fictional stories based on folklore or folktales
Mythology

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
There is really no day that is in itself either safe or dangerous, but people do make them into something. Celebrating personal birthdays of family and friends could be an innocent enjoyable thing, but even that for some has been declared off limits. How many people have been born on every day of the year? How many holidays have been declared across the calendar on behalf of effective devils?

Make 'good' use of the times provided. That is if you are given a work day off for a holiday, do good things with friends and family no matter how evil the original known origin of the occasion may seem to be. Of course if some celebrations bother you too much simply keep your hands off of it.

Can we or should we wipe our calendar clean celebrating no special days all so that we don't somewhere down the line turn it into some sort of pagan celebration? People who want to sin will do it any way one way or the other.

What does God want us to do with our time? Would He not want us to use properly all of the "very good" which remains for us of His creation? But... let us not unnecessarily corrupt any more of it either.

Should we not be led in these choices also by the Holy Spirit? Ask God about such when we are talking to Him. Will He not help us walk in the right direction?

Reactions: Mayflower

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 1908 Catholic Encyclopedia: Christmas :The well-known solar feast, however, of Natalis Invicti, celebrated on 25 December, has a strong claim on the responsibility for our December date.

Christmas - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online
Natalis Invicti

The well-known solar feast, however, of Natalis Invicti, celebrated on 25 December, has a strong claim on the responsibility for our December date. For the history of the solar cult, its position in the Roman Empire, and syncretism with Mithraism, see Cumont's epoch-making "Textes et Monuments" etc., I, ii, 4, 6, p. 355. Mommsen (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum, 1 2 , p. 338) has collected the evidence for the feast, which reached its climax of popularity under Aurelian in 274. Filippo del Torre in 1700 first saw its importance; it is marked, as has been said, without addition in Philocalus' Calendar. It would be impossible here even to outline the history of solar symbolism and language as applied to God, the Messiah, and Christ in Jewish or Christian canonical, patristic, or devotional works. Hymns and Christmas offices abound in instances; the texts are well arranged by Cumont (op. cit., addit. Note C, p. 355).

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 1908 Catholic Encyclopedia: Christmas :The well-known solar feast, however, of Natalis Invicti, celebrated on 25 December, has a strong claim on the responsibility for our December date.

Christmas - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online
Natalis Invicti

The well-known solar feast, however, of Natalis Invicti, celebrated on 25 December, has a strong claim on the responsibility for our December date. For the history of the solar cult, its position in the Roman Empire, and syncretism with Mithraism, see Cumont's epoch-making "Textes et Monuments" etc., I, ii, 4, 6, p. 355. Mommsen (Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum, 1 2 , p. 338) has collected the evidence for the feast, which reached its climax of popularity under Aurelian in 274. Filippo del Torre in 1700 first saw its importance; it is marked, as has been said, without addition in Philocalus' Calendar. It would be impossible here even to outline the history of solar symbolism and language as applied to God, the Messiah, and Christ in Jewish or Christian canonical, patristic, or devotional works. Hymns and Christmas offices abound in instances; the texts are well arranged by Cumont (op. cit., addit. Note C, p. 355).
You all are dearly loved . it is why i am gonna say this next thing . I say it out of great concern and much love for all the people .
DONT heed the RCC . If we love the peoples we warn the peoples . Now you all have a blessed night .
I am off to praise the glorious LORD . LET all that has breath praise the KING .

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never have observed the Jewish traditional holidays. I have questioned as a Gentile if that would be beneficial, but have seen the calendar and heard the names of some.

I never have either. I just like studying their prophetic significance.
I can see pagan cultural practices take over Christian practices. Music, books, movies, etc. The things in front of us daily, is the hardest to sift through in picking God's voice out of the noise. It just slowly seeps it's way in.

Yes they do.

Let me give you another example of culture creeping into the church in a bad way. April Rose likely wouldn't be wild about this post, but I believe it is true nonetheless. Take for instance watching occult-oriented films like Harry Potter. The books are based on the practice of occultism and witchcraft. The films are more than just entertainment; they are designed as a type of recruitment tool to get kids interested in witchcraft, though they are certainly not the only ones.

But suppose your church, or someone in leadership, advocated that the children's groups study those films or books? This most certainly would not be beneficial, though some might say it ought to be allowable because it is merely children's entertainment. In reality, it would expose all of the children in the church to occultism, and the lure of witchcraft in achieving self-serving ends.

5:25 - 6:12 gets to the point.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It all goes alone with an old saying, "We are what we eat". While the literal words may not be scripture, the idea certainly is supported by what is written in scripture! Too many people, supposedly Christian people eating too much garbage.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any graven image... like a buddha statue or a sculpture of a pagan god or one that represents satan.
Cultural artifacts such as a dreamcatcher...
Any book that teaches witchcraft or has a historical foundation of being used by witches and sorcerers
Any book that teaches anything other than the Gospel of Jesus
Any worldly thing that your flesh desires...even food....movies, fantasy, x-rated films...etc.
Scary movies...
Fictional stories based on folklore or folktales
Mythology

Hadn't read this post when I started putting mine together, but apparently we were thinking along the same lines.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes they do.

Let me give you another example of culture creeping into the church in a bad way. April Rose likely wouldn't be wild about this post, but I believe it is true nonetheless. Take for instance watching occult-oriented films like Harry Potter. The books are based on the practice of occultism and witchcraft. The films are more than just entertainment; they are designed as a type of recruitment tool to get kids interested in witchcraft, though they are certainly not the only ones.

But suppose your church, or someone in leadership, advocated that the children's groups study those films or books? This most certainly would not be beneficial, though some might say it ought to be allowable because it is merely children's entertainment. In reality, it would expose all of the children in the church to occultism, and the lure of witchcraft in achieving self-serving ends.

And its in dire need to be exposed . Satan never makes occultism look dangerous , he makes it seem fun and just innocent fun
for the kiddos . Its how he works . He dresses it up as cute entertainment , yet its still witchcraft .
Most folks probably like snickers candy bars . If i brought in poison and put it in the snickers , wrapped it up to look fine ,
i bet most would not touch it . THEY would say THAT IS poison . AND even if folks said , OH its just candy , they would be like
NO IT AINT its poison .
SO why do they defend witchcraft , just cause its all decked out for kiddie entertainment . ITS STILL WITCH CRAFT .
AND here is the real question . HOW DO we think GOD VIEWS THIS . AS just cute entertainment for the kids
OR as it is , WITCHCRAFT . exactly . YOU were wise , my friend to expose this . EXPOSE IT .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's put it this way. Regarding Haikus I think the application is ridiculous and over the top. But let me shine light on the part of the teaching that does need to be taken seriously: The danger in adopting pagan cultural practices is that they have always tended to push out godly ones. This is what happened with the early church regrading the holidays. If you actually look closely at the New Testament scriptures, while they were not being kept as a law, nor after the strictness of the Jews, early church Christians were nevertheless keeping some of the Jewish holidays after a spiritual manner. Not many realize it because it isn't taught, but this was true of:

2. Pentecost:

Oh how we Christians of these last days have missed out on all of that. The only experience for me was when a church I went to in the 90's would have us re-enact the Seder...with grape juice, of course. I found it very intriguing! But, that's as far as that kind of thing went. I wonder if there are any Church's out there who observe the festivals and Jewish holy-Days...
Good post as usual brother.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes they do.

Yeh. Sure does...

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
There is really no day that is in itself either safe or dangerous, but people do make them into something. Celebrating personal birthdays of family and friends could be an innocent enjoyable thing, but even that for some has been declared off limits. How many people have been born on every day of the year? How many holidays have been declared across the calendar on behalf of effective devils?

Make 'good' use of the times provided. That is if you are given a work day off for a holiday, do good things with friends and family no matter how evil the original known origin of the occasion may seem to be. Of course if some celebrations bother you too much simply keep your hands off of it.

Can we or should we wipe our calendar clean celebrating no special days all so that we don't somewhere down the line turn it into some sort of pagan celebration? People who want to sin will do it any way one way or the other.

What does God want us to do with our time? Would He not want us to use properly all of the "very good" which remains for us of His creation? But... let us not unnecessarily corrupt any more of it either.

Should we not be led in these choices also by the Holy Spirit? Ask God about such when we are talking to Him. Will He not help us walk in the right direction?

Very thankful to be lead by the Holy Spirit. So thankful that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I try to step out and He usually convicts me/shows me things when I need to give something up. Discerning what to study outside of God's Word is the hard part. In the Word of God, I do find this interesting:

Jeremiah 10:2-5, "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen…For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree…"

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 10:2-5, "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen…For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree…"
That very verse was the straw that broke the camel's back in our very first pentecostal assembly when the church was having a Christmas tree fund raising sale and we refused to participate. We were young and foolish in many ways, but we were also zealous for God. Not long before that the pastor had told me to divorce my wife and he would help me get custody of our children. One dear sister there told us when we finally left that we would be back. She was really blind on that point.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very thankful to be lead by the Holy Spirit. So thankful that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I try to step out and He usually convicts me/shows me things when I need to give something up. Discerning what to study outside of God's Word is the hard part. In the Word of God, I do find this interesting:

By the grace of the one true GOD , and i do say grace , HE PUT ME IN ONE BOOK and ONE BOOK ALONE .
Any guesses what that book might be . YEAH you guess it , THE BIBLE . Learn it well and love every Word of THE LORD .
For the words of GOD , inspired by HIM , works good unto the hearer and the doer . But not good unto the hearer only .
Let us learn well the biblical JESUS . i have found far too many versions of JESUS being taught and they are not adding up
to the biblical one . That makes it another jesus , NOT JESUS . Its real simple really . STAY In the bible
and learn it well . THE LORD will give us all we need . And on that note , I SAY the TOD , or TIME ON DECK IS
as stands , ITS LORD PRAISING TIME . YES IT IS . LIFT THOSE HANDS and LET THE GLORIOUS LORD BE PRAISED and thanked
continuously . REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS and in the LORD REJOICE . LET us ensure its the biblical JESUS , that we do love
and follow . FOr any other jesus , is NOT JESUS .

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I seriously do not want to make this sound judgmental because that would be taking things way too far, IMO; modern Christians don't attach the same religious significance to things like the "Christmas" tree anyway as they did back in Jeremiah's day (when it was obviously called something different).

But if you want to know my thoughts on that particular subject, I stopped decorating trees decades ago when I realized it is actually an ancient representation of what works out in our modern understanding to be the Antichrist. Too much to explain the pagan mythologies, but I figured decorating the Antichrist every year was not really my cup of tea, LoL. But I have kept what I regard to be the truly Christian aspects of the holiday to this day. I like playing beautiful DVDs with Christmas Carols in the background music and with scriptures included in caption. And I really don't mind all the lights. Makes the neighborhoods much more beautiful, IMO.

But that's just me. To each his own and I don't judge others that still do a tree every year. They have no idea what they're doing anyway, so it's not like it's the end of the world, at least not to me anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. Whatever is good, not merely originates in Christianity is noble. See Philippians 4:8.

Somehow this outstanding scripture in the OP turned into the converse. All things are from God. Not all good things have to be Christian to be good. For instance, medical and scientific accomplishments, business creating material wealth and inventions in technology like the internet, cars, planes, telephone, radio, etc.

God uses all things for his purpose.

I’ve had great conversations with unbelievers originating with all manner of non-Christian topics and excuses to celebrate. I used their enthusiasm to steer them toward God. Just last weekend I was talking to a recovering meth addict. We met by a bonfire in s neighbors yard. By the grace of God, he saw the light of Christ. Praise God!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somehow this outstanding scripture in the OP turned into the converse. All things are from God. Not all good things have to be Christian to be good. For instance, medical and scientific accomplishments, business creating material wealth and inventions in technology like the internet, cars, planes, telephone, radio, etc.

I understand your argument here, Wrangler, and I agree with it, only it is not what the verse in the OP was talking about.

"All things are permissible, but not all things are of benefit. All things are permissible, but not all things build people up." (1 Corinthians 10:23)

In context, Paul was talking about eating meat sacrificed to demonic spirits, not technological breakthroughs of the time. The discussion was about observing customs which had serious religious significance and consequences.