Not faith alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You never sin?

No.

Because of the love of God that was shed abroad in my heart; and all my old sins were taken away when I believed the gospel.

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

By the law is the knowledge of sin, as the scripture says.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

Because of the love of God that was shed abroad in my heart; and all my old sins were taken away when I believed the gospel.

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

By the law is the knowledge of sin, as the scripture says.
I hate to break the news to you but John says:
1 John 1:7-8 (NKJV)
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hate to break the news to you but John says:
1 John 1:7-8 (NKJV)
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Again, 1 John 1:8 is speaking of indwelling sin; while 1 John 3:9, 1 John 3:6, and 1 John 2:17 speak of the committing of sins (practical sinning).

The element of sin can be rendered dead within a man (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say or authority over his behaviour (Romans 6:14).

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, 1 John 1:8 is speaking of indwelling sin; while 1 John 3:9, 1 John 3:6, and 1 John 2:17 speak of the committing of sins (practical sinning).

The element of sin can be rendered dead within a man (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say or authority over his behaviour (Romans 6:14).
Indwelling sin? Can't find that in my Bibles.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indwelling sin? Can't find that in my Bibles.
Some great Bible teachers speak of it (Charles Stanley for example).

In 1 John 1:8, it does not say, "If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

Look at it again.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

You left out the rest of the verse:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness”.

The one in whom the truth is not in is the one who says he has no sin BEFORE confessing his sins in belief of the gospel.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some great Bible teachers speak of it (Charles Stanley for example).

In 1 John 1:8, it does not say, "If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

Look at it again.
Yep, John included himself, "If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, John included himself, "If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."
You appear to me to be hard-hearted and stubborn. You will not even read the scripture as it is truly written.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You left out the rest of the verse:

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness”.

The one in whom the truth is not in is the one who says he has no sin BEFORE confessing his sins in belief of the gospel.
Amen! John said "US", including himself.