Obama Ends Stem Cell Funding Ban

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
QUOTE (Keira @ Mar 9 2009, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=70451
US President Barack Obama has lifted restrictions on federal funding for research on new stem cell lines. Mr Obama signed an executive order in a major reversal of US policy, pledging to "vigorously support" new research. Ex-President George W Bush blocked the use of any government money to fund research on human embryonic stem cell lines created after 9 August 2001. Scientists say stem cell research will lead to medical breakthroughs, but many religious groups oppose the research. Analysts say Mr Obama's decision could also lead Congress to overturn a ban on spending tax dollars to create embryos. That ban, known as the Dickey-Wicker amendment, has been in place since 1996 and renewed every year by Congress. But Democrat Congresswoman Diana DeGette told the New York Times newspaper that several anti-abortion colleagues were open to the possibility of reversing the ban if this was necessary to help research. Before signing the executive order, Mr Obama said he hoped Congress would act on a bipartisan basis "to further support this research".Stem cells are cells with the capacity to turn into any other type of human cell, be it bone, muscle or nerve cell. One embryo can provide a limitless supply because the cell lines can be grown indefinitely. But the use of human embryonic stem cells in research is controversial with some campaigners saying it is unethical. The practice of creating embryos is routine in private clinics, but the ban put constraints on federal researchers even before the restrictions imposed by former President Bush, forcing them to use embryos left over from fertility treatments. Correspondents say the policy change is part of President Obama's pledge to make clear that his administration wants scientific research to be free from political interference. Announcing his development, he described himself as a man of faith who had carefully weighed the implications of the decision, and said moving forward required a "delicate balance". He also announced that his administration would work to foster a new era of scientific integrity, overseen by the White House. 'Vindicated' Researchers have also been developing techniques to create stem cells without using embryos, by modifying other types of cell. The move to lift the ban on federal funding was welcomed by stem cell researchers. "I feel vindicated after eight years of struggle, and I know it's going to energise my research team," Dr George Daley of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute told the Associated Press. The federal funding ban has meant that scientists have been forced to separate any privately-funded stem cell research from their government-funded activity. Mr Obama made it clear during the presidential election campaign that, if elected, he would reverse the Bush administration's decision. President Bush had twice vetoed congressional attempts to have the ban lifted. "I strongly support expanding research on stem cells," Mr Obama said on the campaign trail."I believe that the restrictions that President Bush has placed on funding of human embryonic stem cell research have handcuffed our scientists and hindered our ability to compete with other nations." President Bush and other social conservatives argued that the embryos are human life and therefore should not be destroyed. Like Mr Bush, President Obama has profound Christian beliefs but he has defined the issue in terms of restoring scientific integrity to government, says the BBC's Kevin Connolly, in Washington. Speaking to the BBC in January, Dr Robert Evans, a pastor and bioethicist, said he would oppose any move to allow federal funding for new stem cell lines. "What it signals is that the human embryo has been denied moral standing and a corresponding right to life," he said. "As an evangelical who believes all life is created equal in the image of God, and that we have moral standing from the moment of conception, I would view that as a very chilling decision." MEDIA REACTION TO PRESIDENT OBAMA'S PLAN The stem cell signing - like the economic stimulus bill - is an example of the two different tracks that Obama and Republicans are currently on. Obama, with his base solidly on his side, is making policy with broad support among independents. Republicans, on the other hand, remain in the wilderness and are looking to rebuild from core principles. Chris Cillizza, Washington Post Although President Bush limited federal funding of embryonic stem cell research to a few existing stem cell colonies, he did not make such research illegal... Nothing notable has occurred in embryonic stem cell research other than the scientific fraud committed by the infamous South Korean researcher Hwang Woo-suk. Steven Milloy, Fox News There is real hope that stem cells will soon be available to regenerate tissue for any part of the body. Throughout the past eight years, funding restrictions have forced researchers to develop workarounds... President Obama's executive order presents an excellent opportunity to renew America's commitment to this whole promising field. William Haseltine, The Atlantic This issue's controversial. But there's nowhere near the opposition to embryonic stem cell research as there is to abortion, where more than 60% of Americans favour more restrictions. Dan Gilgoff, US News & World Report http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7929690.stm
I think there's two things at work here:1) where is the money to be made?, and2) philosophical/spiritual differences between the world's medical ways and God's ways.I'll tackle #2 first. The debate when to believe when life starts aside, the key words in the above post I see is 'regeneration'. Sounds a little like Genesis 6 philosophy. Angelic Watchers wanted to produce their own breed of life, just as modern day man for example wants to grow a new limb. But their knowledge is all wet. Coming from a medical establishment that believes for example that high cholesterol is the cause of heart disease, I don't take them too seriously any more. For cryin' out load. Cholesterol is effectively the same as vitamin D without the sunlight UVB conversion. So to limit one's cholesterol is the same as saying don't take vitamin D (which lowers cancer risks). I am adamantly against anyone that preaches anything against vitamins for any reason.Now, just this one point alone tells me that their thinking is all screwed up, but then again is it? Nobody is that stupid to think that vitamins are no good, or that we can do these god-like miracles with stem cell research. So that brings me to point #1. I think what they are trying to do is to dupe the public into thinking that so that expensive "research" and drugs to correct the so-called conditions can be done. They merely want to line their pockets. But so that this can be done, they delude themselves into thinking that #2 is correct. And its a vicious circle and circular reasoning.