Obsessed with Rome

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I said they don't value doctrine, not scripture. Guess what? You are pretty instrumental in that observation based on somw things I've read from you over the years.

As for my uninformed opinion... ok I'll crunch the numbers. But I've been to a mass. No....

LightMessenger

Apr 9, 2015
I believe more than it being an "attack" on the Catholic Church or its Pope it is merely stating what those in opposition have seen based on their observation. What I very much dislike about Catholics is the fact that they do not ever teach the most important thing -- to become Born Again thus, Saved, as the Holy Bible tells us we all must all do.

Catholics simply do not believe that to be the case even if it is in the Bible which it is. I have spoken to several Catholic priests who informed me, quite shockingly I might add, that they did not even read the Bible! I was taken aback by that. But quite obviously if they did they would find the following two Scriptures there that speaks about becoming Born Again in order to attain salvation when a person passes-on from this life to the next in the Afterlife.

"Jesus saith unto him, I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me." -- JOHN 14:6 (KJV)

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." -- JOHN 3:3 (KJV)
Yet there is no mention about that by Catholics. I asked a Catholic person why their denomination did not talk about becoming Saved and Born Again and her reply was that they believe they are saved through baptism alone, that's all. But that is very, very incorrect, that does not save them at all! Baptism is of course good to have as even Jesus was baptized. But baptism alone will not save anyone from their sins. They need to say the words actually committing to and believing that Jesus Christ is their LORD and Savior and that He died for their sins, was crucified and buried but Arose on the third day according to Scripture. That belief is what SAVES a person, and there is a Prayer of Salvation which will facilitate those who wish to become Born Again. So again, that is what I take exception to with the Catholic denomination because they are leading their flock down the wrong path without urging them to become Born Again Christians as Jesus has said in the Scriptures presented just above that we should all do.

Catholics who do not make an effort to search for this truth and do not know any better may very well end up with their soul imperiled and unable to get to Heaven at their appointed time. What a great tragedy that would be for Catholics who do not believe in or have not been shown that they must become Born Again in order to be Saved.

B

brakelite

It has become quite typical of your approach to criticism to suggest some sort of mental disorder (obsession/possession) is the root cause of what you term "catholic bashing". This may prove to be a successful means to divert the simple minded and the historically ignorant from the truth, but does little in the way of promoting truth.
It is not just the odd mistake made by one or two medieval prelates that have motivated so many to write against the Roman religious system. It is rather the policies, dogmas and practices of a church system that for centuries that resulted in the deaths, the torture, and imprisonment of millions for crimes such as reading or owning the Bible or teaching or preaching the gospel according to scripture as opposed to the teachings of the clergy.
It is not because of hatred against individual catholics but rather a love for truth and a desire to warn against likely future persecutions at the hands of Rome when she regains her lost ascendancy.
It is not because we dislike unity that we write against Rome, but rather because we cherish unity based on truth and a love for the gospel, not the ecumenical unity espoused and sponsored by Rome that discards truth in favor of compromise at the cost of doctrinal fidelity.
It is not obsession or possession, but rather a sound understanding of history and a sure spiritual appreciation of truth and a keen incite into prophecy and the certain repeat of the barbarities that dominated medieval Europe only shortly to be repeated on a global scale, with the Roman pontiff officiating.
That Protestantism no longer recognizes this is an indictment on the legacy and blood bought freedoms we enjoy today...freedom of speech...freedom to believe according to the dictates of ones own conscience...freedom to worship according to that same conscience...freedom of the press...freedom to own the Bible in the language of ones native tongue...all freedoms denied the people for over a 1000 years and in the canons and dogmas of Rome remain anathema and if and when she regains power, would deny them again.

Judgmental on my part? No, just plain ole' spiritual discernment. By their fruits ye shall know them.

Keeth

Apr 11, 2015
brakelite said:
It has become quite typical of your approach to criticism to suggest some sort of mental disorder (obsession/possession) is the root cause of what you term "catholic bashing". This may prove to be a successful means to divert the simple minded and the historically ignorant from the truth, but does little in the way of promoting truth.
It is not just the odd mistake made by one or two medieval prelates that have motivated so many to write against the Roman religious system. It is rather the policies, dogmas and practices of a church system that for centuries that resulted in the deaths, the torture, and imprisonment of millions for crimes such as reading or owning the Bible or teaching or preaching the gospel according to scripture as opposed to the teachings of the clergy.
It is not because of hatred against individual catholics but rather a love for truth and a desire to warn against likely future persecutions at the hands of Rome when she regains her lost ascendancy.
It is not because we dislike unity that we write against Rome, but rather because we cherish unity based on truth and a love for the gospel, not the ecumenical unity espoused and sponsored by Rome that discards truth in favor of compromise at the cost of doctrinal fidelity.
It is not obsession or possession, but rather a sound understanding of history and a sure spiritual appreciation of truth and a keen incite into prophecy and the certain repeat of the barbarities that dominated medieval Europe only shortly to be repeated on a global scale, with the Roman pontiff officiating.
That Protestantism no longer recognizes this is an indictment on the legacy and blood bought freedoms we enjoy today...freedom of speech...freedom to believe according to the dictates of ones own conscience...freedom to worship according to that same conscience...freedom of the press...freedom to own the Bible in the language of ones native tongue...all freedoms denied the people for over a 1000 years and in the canons and dogmas of Rome remain anathema and if and when she regains power, would deny them again.

Judgmental on my part? No, just plain ole' spiritual discernment. By their fruits ye shall know them.
Bingo! Well said.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
ATP said:
Catholics are misguided, just like every denomination in general. They lack relationship with the creator.
Maybe it is you who is misguided.
Maybe you lack a relationship with the creator.
Maybe you're not as holy as you imagine yourself to be.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
FHII said:
Well thaty's good to know. I appreciate you telling me that, cause I am not a Trinitarian nor do I attend a Trinitarian Church. So if that's what you believe.... great.
<<I am not a Trinitarian>>

Ah! Then you are not Christian.

Christianity is Trinitarian.

JTLYK

ATP said:
Nobody is Jim. Isa 64:6.
The question posed is (again):

Could someone please explain why, in every Christian forum, there are always two or three people who are obsessed with (indeed possessed by) a need to attack the Roman Catholic Church and to demonize the head of that church, the pope.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
JimParker said:
The question posed is (again):

Could someone please explain why, in every Christian forum, there are always two or three people who are obsessed with (indeed possessed by) a need to attack the Roman Catholic Church and to demonize the head of that church, the pope.
It's every denomination Jim. God is love, not religion.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps bordem strikes us all in a different way?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
JimParker said:
<<I am not a Trinitarian>>

Ah! Then you are not Christian.

Christianity is Trinitarian.
You know Polycarp?

Do you think he was christian?

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
ATP said:
Isn't Catholicism a denomination?
Here's the question again:

Your word string does not respond to that question.

Neither does "Isn't Catholicism a denomination?"
pom2014 said:
You know Polycarp?

Do you think he was christian?
Please make your point.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
JimParker said:
Here's the question again:

Your word string does not respond to that question.

Neither does "Isn't Catholicism a denomination?"
Catholicism gets attacked because it's one of the biggest denominations in the world, maybe? Similar to JW's. What's your point.

Reactions: Born_Again

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
ATP said:
Catholicism gets attacked because it's one of the biggest denominations in the world, maybe? Similar to JW's. What's your point.
So, acording to you, it's OK to attack fellow believers with slander and lies if their denomination is bigger then yours?

And, JTLYK, while there are about 8 million JWs, there are approximately 1.2 Billion RCs. (150 time larger than the JWs)

Also, Catholicism is Christian Religion while the religion espoused by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Jehovah's Witnesses is not.

My point?????

I wasn't making a point. I was asking for some answers.

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
JimParker said:
Catholicism is Christian Religion while the religion espoused by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Jehovah's Witnesses is not.
JimP,

Here's one of the board rules: Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christians.

I've spoken with many JW's and they consider themselves to be Christian. So, if you, an RCC, call yourself a Christian, then I accept that according to the board rules here the same as I accept the JW's. There is no difference between the two of you.

Zeke25

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm done with this forum. For ever? For the time being? For a few months? Don't know. Don't think its because I don't have answers. I do. Not all the answers but enough to answer here.

some folks will understand and won't need an explanation. If you do need one, ask them. For now, I simply don't like the direction this forum is going.
I'm done with this forum. For ever? For the time being? For a few months? Don't know. Don't think its because I don't have answers. I do. Not all the answers but enough to answer here.

some folks will understand and won't need an explanation. If you do need one, ask them. For now, I simply don't like the direction this forum is going.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
zeke25 said:
JimP,

Here's one of the board rules: Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christians.

I've spoken with many JW's and they consider themselves to be Christian. So, if you, an RCC, call yourself a Christian, then I accept that according to the board rules here the same as I accept the JW's. There is no difference between the two of you.

Zeke25
Ah! I see. Thanks for the clarification.

But, just to be clear, the Church determines what beliefs fall withing the definition of Christianity, not heretical groups, cults, and crackpots.

The essential beliefs of orthodox Christianity are contained in the creeds of the Church. Those who do not agree with those creeds may call themselves anything they like but they are not truly Christian.

That eliminates JWs, Mormons, Christian Scientists, Jim Jones, The Unification Church (Moonies).

All of those organizations are populated by very good people who are attempting to serve God to the best of their knowledge and abilities. (Except the People's Temple folk; they're all dead)

But the TECHNICAL definition of Christianity is found in the creeds, not in anyone's personal opinion.

So, if this is really a "Christian" forum, then we need to adhere to what the word "Christian" means. No?

And, JTLYK, I am not a Roman Catholic.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
JimParker said:
Ah! I see. Thanks for the clarification.

But, just to be clear, the Church determines what beliefs fall withing the definition of Christianity, not heretical groups, cults, and crackpots.

The essential beliefs of orthodox Christianity are contained in the creeds of the Church. Those who do not agree with those creeds may call themselves anything they like but they are not truly Christian.

That eliminates JWs, Mormons, Christian Scientists, Jim Jones, The Unification Church (Moonies).

All of those organizations are populated by very good people who are attempting to serve God to the best of their knowledge and abilities. (Except the People's Temple folk; they're all dead)

But the TECHNICAL definition of Christianity is found in the creeds, not in anyone's personal opinion.

So, if this is really a "Christian" forum, then we need to adhere to what the word "Christian" means. No?

And, JTLYK, I am not a Roman Catholic.
Just so we are clear Jim,

The rules for this forum define what is acceptable on this forum. This forum has a precedent of accepting those who do not believe in the Holy Trinity as Christians. Anyone who claims to be Christian is considered to be a Christian here.

If there is an issue where a member seems to have circumvented the basic tenants of the faith in order to join the community, please privately contact the Christianity Board Team to voice your concern. If action is taken it will be on the basis of their deception when they try to pass themselves off as Christian.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
lforrest said:
Just so we are clear Jim,

The rules for this forum define what is acceptable on this forum. This forum has a precedent of accepting those who do not believe in the Holy Trinity as Christians. Anyone who claims to be Christian is considered to be a Christian here.

If there is an issue where a member seems to have circumvented the basic tenants of the faith in order to join the community, please privately contact the Christianity Board Team to voice your concern. If action is taken it will be on the basis of their deception when they try to pass themselves off as Christian.
<<This forum has a precedent of accepting those who do not believe in the Holy Trinity as Christians.>>

OK, so this forum accepts heretical teachings.

<<This forum has a precedent of accepting those who do not believe in the Holy Trinity as Christians.>>

Sun Myung Moon? Jim Jones? Al OK?

<<If action is taken it will be on the basis of their deception when they try to pass themselves off as Christian.>>

Like JWs, Mormons, Christian Scientists, Arians, etc?

How about being able to tell the truth that such cults and heretical organizations are NOT Christian?

Would It be worthwhile, considering the eternal consequences of believing lies, to advise a person so deceived as to the deception under which they labor?

Or don't we care? Is avoiding someone's feelings getting hurt an excuse before God for withholding the truth from them?

Is truth of primary importance in this Christian forum?

Just wondering......... :unsure: