"On Being an Absolute Ass"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize the title is a little ruffling, but I recommend taking the time to read this article. I don't think it a waste of a few minutes or your time. It's basically about a father that realizes the actions towards his son were wrong, but something else about the gospel hits him along the way.

I’m still fuming at my son. I’m not mad at the goal, per se. I don’t expect a little Landon Donavan. But I’m furious that he didn’t listen.

Moments later, he runs over and asks if he did great. Kim says yes. The coach says yes. Me? I’m half way between, “Awesome!” and “You suck!” I want to go for the former, I cannot say the latter. After the tiniest of pauses, I say no.

Nanoseconds feel like hours. He looks blankly at me.

I suddenly feel bile in the back of my throat. What did I just do?

“I”m joking, buddy! I’m joking! You did great.”

“Bad joke Daddy.” He walks away. Kim walks away. An assistant coach looks at me with sad incredulity. I AM now one of those dads. I want to vomit. But I’m too consumed with my snowballing rage – a rage now firmly directed at me too.

Link: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/longobedience/2012/04/19/on-being-an-absolute-ass/

thisistheendtimes

Mar 3, 2008
It seems that the furious fuming control freak has begun the journey to PROGRESS (by getting mad instead of ignoring the problem, "denial" is the real danger).

Growing up as a perfectionist makes a person INTOLERANT,.....so intolerant and selfish that you never really considered what your son might like for his life. Obviously, your son is "scientific minded" and INTERESTED in the unknown of CLOUDS/NATURE.

A Meterioroligist (Weather Forecaster) is highly paid and very well respected all throughout society (and is NOT just a television celebrity).

Listen to your child and your wife (and respect your child's WISDOM for HIS LIFE.

....and DON'T CRUSH YOURSELF,....learn from your mistakes and your loved ones.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Thanks for sharing...sometimes we need a reminder that we are not perfect yet and that we still need the guiding of the Loving Father

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the father is the article is honest and passionate. Unfortunately, he allowed his passion for the rules take the place of his passion for the experience his son was having playing soccer. He was really good at communicating the human experience.

I wonder if the Pharisees felt the same way. We all have been taught to see the Pharisees as the bad guys for enforcing the rules at the expense of the people, but maybe they were just afraid that 'coddling' the people would water down the religion? All I know is, I tend to clamp down on the rules of all the games we play in life when I am afraid. Perhaps trusting God with the rules might free us up to value people and their experience more often.

The rules are important. There is absolute truth, but God is the true judge. Just because we decided to take on the job of determining right and wrong doesn't mean we are good at it. The father in the story ate of the fruit rather than trusting those who enforce the rules and manage the game.

I think we are more likely to cling to justice and sacrifice mercy. Both are important, but only God can handle justice.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I was just so shocked is all...but to each his own

-- I understand and meant nothing demeaning by my response.

I got saved in my late teens, but within a year most of my support group had moved away and I was left floundering.

I ended up walking away from God for well over a decade and during that time I became a born-again, full time, non-stop sinner.

I committed more sins and dove deeper into sin and perversion AFTER I got saved than before I did.
If I would have died during that time, I would not have been saved.

As a result, one of the things that 'devolved' was my language. Wow. I could cuss the wallpaper off a wall.

But thankfully I came back to God and as He promised, He "washed me clean."
Forgiveness and acceptance were instanteous.

Unfortunately, engrained personal habits, including my language, were a much longer and harder scrubbing.
I was a very long and difficult challenge to 'unlearn' the habits and reject the desires I had during my time away from God.

And as far as language goes, I eventually was able to learn to curb my tongue (the book of James was extremely helpful) and avoid songs, movies, conversations, etc. that involved liberal use of cursing and swearing.

Over time the Holy Spirit gave me a new sensitivity and now when I hear those words I cringe and rebuke them.
I am so thankful they are not an active or welcome part of my life anymore.

But the problem is that most of us have a job in the secular environment and are forced to hear that language every day.
Also, when you end up witnessing to some people, even those extremely receptive to God's message, find themselves using that language when they try to express what is happening in their lives.

You can't shy away or say, "Get back to me when you no longer have a filthy mouth" so you stay with them, sharing and helping.

If that word Hammersmith used offends you, that is good. I am not minimizing that.
My observasion was that you had no comments on the article or WHY that word was used.
That was all.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I try not to make it a habit to use course language, but there are times when that level of emphasis is necessary - as evidenced by numerous Biblical writers. Unfortunately, our Bibles have decided to gloss over some tough terms that were curse words and phrases in their day. That's given us the false notion that using certain three and four letter words is pure evil. And while it's obvious as a Christian you're not dropping "F-bombs," right and left, I personally wouldn't consider this overly vulgar.

For examples of what I'm talking about, look at some of these passages:

I Kings 18 - Elijah literally and sarcastically says: "Has your God turned aside to relieve himself in the bathroom." (The language is coarser than that.)
Phillipians 3:8 The Greek word is skubala is the Greek equivalent of our four letter word for crap, past tense. Paul specifically used that word. It's not trash, rubbage, garbage, etc. It's _________.
Ezekiel 16:25 since the HCSB renders this pretty well (and literally), I'll leave it alone, but many translations chose to sidestep around the literal meaning, which is kinda rough.

What I'm getting at is that I respect a belief in not using cuss/curse words. I really do. I worked not to use them myself when I'm mad or something else - if I hit my thumb with a hammer, well I'm struggling there. However, I think when the Bible is talking about foul speech and other phrases, it's dealing with ultimately with the content. I don't think this gentleman's word choice would fall under that.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"I am what I am."
- Popeye the sailor

What a lot of rhetoric by a bunch of busybodies over a screw up.
OMG

Does the man answer to anyone except God and his own conscience?
I don't think so.
He's a bigger man if he can recognize his own actions and cover them so quickly.

If he regrets what he said, so be it. If he didn't, then there is no way to put the words back into his mouth. Is there?
If his savior can forgive him, what's all the noise about?

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...