Orthodoxy or Heterodoxy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heterodoxy.
And fascinating. It reminds me of the ancient Sumerian myth, the Enuma Elish. Not that it is verbatim to that myth, it is merely reminiscent.

What is the source for the OP?
The OP is a grossly inaccurate recounting "telling" of LDS Christian beliefs. It amazes me how folks can't be bothered to get facts straight to respectfully discuss actual beliefs, and instead need to "fight" a strawman they invent.

Reactions: The Learner

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heterodoxy.
And fascinating. It reminds me of the ancient Sumerian myth, the Enuma Elish. Not that it is verbatim to that myth, it is merely reminiscent.

What is the source for the OP?
Some is from what I heard and was taught in priesthood meetings; Sunday school lessons, and ward and stake talks. Some of the other is from first hand experience as a member for a little over three years. Additionally, some of what used to be considered credible literature from mormon authors has been reevaluated and now deemed to be unreliable. One of the main go to books for information on mormonism while I was a member was written by one of their apostles, Bruce R. McConkie, and was called Mormon Doctrine. That book has fallen out of favor due to changing views or their current apologetic. Any prior general authority, other than Joseph Smith Jr. can, and will be thrown under the bus if they have ever written or taught anything that could prove to be embarrassing today, including any talks given at general conference or published in official church publications. IOW, I was in the belly of the beast. Cheers.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why not say Latter Day Saints aka Mormonism?
I use LDS and mormonism interchangeably to indicated the Salt Lake City sect. There are over 100 break-off sects that use the Book of Mormon, however, not all teach the same doctrines. The next largest group, the Reoganized LDS uses the same BoM, but their Doctrine and Covenants/D&C is different. The SLC LDS sect is more akin to a type of restored Gnosticism, and not similar to any kind of restored, historical Christianity as is they spuriously claim to be.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to the protestations of one poster on this thread, the eight points that I presented at the beginning of this thread are what I was taught as a member of the SLC LDS sect in the 70s. If those teachings have changed dramatically since I was an elder in that sect, then they should feel free to clarify and show me where those points are in error. I am open to correction on the matter.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some is from what I heard and was taught in priesthood meetings; Sunday school lessons, and ward and stake talks. Some of the other is from first hand experience as a member for a little over three years. Additionally, some of what used to be considered credible literature from mormon authors has been reevaluated and now deemed to be unreliable. One of the main go to books for information on mormonism while I was a member was written by one of their apostles, Bruce R. McConkie, and was called Mormon Doctrine. That book has fallen out of favor due to changing views or their current apologetic. Any prior general authority, other than Joseph Smith Jr. can, and will be thrown under the bus if they have ever written or taught anything that could prove to be embarrassing today, including any talks given at general conference or published in official church publications. IOW, I was in the belly of the beast. Cheers.
Thank you for elaborating.
The majority of the OP information was from the book the Mormon Doctrine book?

• Haha

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, it's yitoz's spin on things. He was a member briefly half a century ago.

As the the book "Mormon Doctrine", despite the misnomer of a name, this isn't a source of LDS Christian doctrine and never was. It was written by a middle-level dude without even telling leadership. Essentially his personal project trying to write a bunch of stuff down in a one-spot approach (had he been born several decades later, he would have been one of those guys writing lots of Wikipedia articles). Valiant idea, but imperfect product: upon it's release leadership immediately went "oh, this part here isn't accurate, neither is this part, etc". So immediate revisions needed, and it was still imperfect. There's a reason it's not even printed in years.

• Love

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found it.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrary to the protestations of one poster on this thread, the eight points that I presented at the beginning of this thread are what I was taught as a member of the SLC LDS sect in the 70s. If those teachings have changed dramatically since I was an elder in that sect, then they should feel free to clarify and show me where those points are in error. I am open to correction on the matter.
How do they compair with the Sextons from Beaver Island Michigan break off of King Strang?

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do they compair with the Sextons from Beaver Island Michigan break off of King Strang?
There are at least 100 or more break off groups, which even started before Josephs murder in 1844. Strang was one of the members that claimed that the leadership had passed down to him, and some followed.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Most of mormon doctrine comes from a funerary eulogy given by Joseph Smith Jr while residing in Nauvoo, IL, in 1844, less than two months before he was murdered by a mob in Carthage, IL. It is called the King Follett Discourse. The BoM has little Mormon doctrine in it and has passages that even contradicted some of their earlier practices like polygamy. Now that people are attempting to get polyamory legalized, we'll have to see what the SLC LDS sect does if that happens.