OUR SPIRITUAL SAT-NAV

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Spiritual Sat-nav.

A while ago I had one of my God dreams which are a bit like little parables. They are different from my usual dreams in that they don't disappear when I wake up. In last night's dream I was in a car driving along a familiar high street and came to a junction. My instinct told me to go straight on but I turned left thinking it was a short cut. After a while I realised I was in an unfamiliar place and when I caught sight of a bus, which was a different colour to any of the local buses. I knew I was irrevocably lost. I hadn't a clue where I was and wished I had a sat-nav.

The next morning, wondering about what it could mean, I believe it is pointing out that often in our Christian journeys we think we are on the right road but are prone to taking wrong turnings or short cuts and getting ourselves 'lost'. When I have travelled with people who have sat-navs the voice doesn't just say, 'Go from here to there.' but gives very specific directions; 'Go straight for one and a half miles and then turn left along Coniston Avenue. Go straight for three miles and take the third exit at the roundabout . . . etc.' And if the driver fails to follow the direction the sat-nave will re-configure a new route.

We need the Holy Spirit to be our sat-nav, to point us in the right direction and to hear his specific directions at all times. Just as in real life we get lost and need to 'reconfigure' so too in our spiritual lives we can 'get lost' but the Holy Spirit will 're-configure' our journey and guide us back to the right way.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive gone in the wrong direction at times. It was so painful, living with the consequences and the pain that I felt.

But it taught me to fear the Lord. He is so patient with me. When I think about all the times Ive had to ask for his forgiveness, its humbling. It helps me to forgive others.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ive gone in the wrong direction at times. It was so painful, living with the consequences and the pain that I felt.

But it taught me to fear the Lord. He is so patient with me. When I think about all the times Ive had to ask for his forgiveness, its humbling. It helps me to forgive others.
We all tend to wander off the pathway occasionally so it's good that we have the Holy Spirit as our gentle guide to re-configure our spiritual journeys.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recently i had either two dreams or one that had an intermission.
The first I was in a wrong place were I could do whatever I wanted or desired even though I didn't want to be there and was practically screaming let me out, I couldn't find away.
Then I was trailing a long with an acquaintance who a church father had given a task of a message to deliver, that he didn’t want to do. As I followed along the task and myself got handed off to another and finally a son in law. At one point my son-in-law sat down in a lobby full of chairs and I had just been handed the message that the ones handing off the task hadn't want to deliver, I had barely enough time to comprehend how earthly wrong the message was when the intended recipient appeared with the origanator of the message arriving at the moment also. The originator started to explode that the message hadn't been delivered and NOW an outsider knew OUR business! Which forced me to stand and confront him, which felt so familiar to where I was 10 to 20 years ago it woke me up.

I am not in a church with issues right now so I am wondering why the messages, the dreams.

Alfredthefifth

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual Sat-nav.

A while ago I had one of my God dreams which are a bit like little parables. They are different from my usual dreams in that they don't disappear when I wake up. In last night's dream I was in a car driving along a familiar high street and came to a junction. My instinct told me to go straight on but I turned left thinking it was a short cut. After a while I realised I was in an unfamiliar place and when I caught sight of a bus, which was a different colour to any of the local buses. I knew I was irrevocably lost. I hadn't a clue where I was and wished I had a sat-nav.

The next morning, wondering about what it could mean, I believe it is pointing out that often in our Christian journeys we think we are on the right road but are prone to taking wrong turnings or short cuts and getting ourselves 'lost'. When I have travelled with people who have sat-navs the voice doesn't just say, 'Go from here to there.' but gives very specific directions; 'Go straight for one and a half miles and then turn left along Coniston Avenue. Go straight for three miles and take the third exit at the roundabout . . . etc.' And if the driver fails to follow the direction the sat-nave will re-configure a new route.

We need the Holy Spirit to be our sat-nav, to point us in the right direction and to hear his specific directions at all times. Just as in real life we get lost and need to 'reconfigure' so too in our spiritual lives we can 'get lost' but the Holy Spirit will 're-configure' our journey and guide us back to the right way.
God's sat-nav usually puts me right square back to the place where I took the wrong turn. Frustrating at first. Eventually, though, it is comforting to know God's love in putting you back on the right track.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all tend to wander off the pathway occasionally so it's good that we have the Holy Spirit as our gentle guide to re-configure our spiritual journeys.
Usually gentle and loving. Once it felt like God grabbed me by the nape of my shirt and brought me back home. Just like a dad and his 10 year old child. It wasn't brutal, just firm. And it was comforting to know dad was there watching over me and taking care of me.

It involved leaving a church immediately. He wanted me to cut the connection that day and not waste any more time there. And so I did. I went over on lunch and told the pastor I was leaving the church. I gave him back a book I had borrowed and explained I would no longer be attending and why. And it was over. Never looked back. And I thank God for it.

Reactions: Pearl and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Usually gentle and loving. Once it felt like God grabbed me by the nape of my shirt and brought me back home. Just like a dad and his 10 year old child. It wasn't brutal, just firm. And it was comforting to know dad was there watching over me and taking care of me.

It involved leaving a church immediately. He wanted me to cut the connection that day and not waste any more time there. And so I did. I went over on lunch and told the pastor I was leaving the church. I gave him back a book I had borrowed and explained I would no longer be attending and why. And it was over. Never looked back. And I thank God for it.

Good fellowship is hard to find. I hope you found some afterward.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good fellowship is hard to find. I hope you found some afterward.
I have not.
I wasn't even going to look any more but I feel God leading me toward getting involved with my true brothers and sisters again. I miss my family. You know what I mean.

I'm not looking for a church, I'm looking for fellowship. But I know I'll have to connect with a church in some way to find that.

Reactions: dev553344 and Pearl

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not.
I wasn't even going to look any more but I feel God leading me toward getting involved with my true brothers and sisters again. I miss my family. You know what I mean.

I'm not looking for a church, I'm looking for fellowship. But I know I'll have to connect with a church in some way to find that.

They need you too. The love of the truth is rare today. Praying God puts some great believers in your life.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Recently i had either two dreams or one that had an intermission.
The first I was in a wrong place were I could do whatever I wanted or desired even though I didn't want to be there and was practically screaming let me out, I couldn't find away.
Then I was trailing a long with an acquaintance who a church father had given a task of a message to deliver, that he didn’t want to do. As I followed along the task and myself got handed off to another and finally a son in law. At one point my son-in-law sat down in a lobby full of chairs and I had just been handed the message that the ones handing off the task hadn't want to deliver, I had barely enough time to comprehend how earthly wrong the message was when the intended recipient appeared with the origanator of the message arriving at the moment also. The originator started to explode that the message hadn't been delivered and NOW an outsider knew OUR business! Which forced me to stand and confront him, which felt so familiar to where I was 10 to 20 years ago it woke me up.

I am not in a church with issues right now so I am wondering why the messages, the dreams.

Alfredthefifth
Did you think it was God telling you something in your dreams? If you did then you really need to ask Him for the meaning.

I dream most nights but mostly they are just ordinary end-of-day dreams and not Spirit inspired. But I do sometimes have God dreams; mostly I know they are from God because on waking every thing is still clear in my memory, unlike most of the ordinary ones which disappear quickly. and when I ask he always shows me the meaning.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have not.

I miss being in a fellowship too but, like you I knew I need to leave the one I was in and haven't found another yet and I miss it and often wonder about going back but it still doesn't feel right. My fellowship with other Christians is on here.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you think it was God telling you something in your dreams? If you did then you really need to ask Him for the meaning.

I dream most nights but mostly they are just ordinary end-of-day dreams and not Spirit inspired. But I do sometimes have God dreams; mostly I know they are from God because on waking every thing is still clear in my memory, unlike most of the ordinary ones which disappear quickly. and when I ask he always shows me the meaning.

I am wondering if I see the messages correctly.
The first is it easy to be seduced by being comfortable. Staying comfortable can become a trap and wrong road.

I know I have to become more active. Which takes me a long way out of my comfort zone.

The Church of my youth, drifted to were I should have been in many faces confronting many distortions even lies and from the pulpit no less. I asked questions and stayed to nonconfrontational. The result was to many years of being very tentative and not involved.
The holy spirit just hit me between the eyes with how I have been holding back and why. Boy can the Spirit paint a picture! And of me no less.

Alfredthefifth

Reactions: Pearl

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual Sat-nav.

Dreams are such a gift. Like little windows from which we see heavenly scenes not recognized with our waking moments. In dreams, these little glimpses we steal are a bit like overheard conversations that others are having, though we perceive those we see as 'us.' It's not exactly right, nor is it entirely wrong. "It was like..." is about the best we can come up with when remembering and rendering meaning from things we saw and heard. In truth-- 'you' were presumably asleep on your bed in a physical sense, yet in the dream this 'other you' was not bound to it's earthly tent, but perceived as 'driving in a car' -- a ridiculous thought when one considers the spiritual realm where there would be no need for that sort of transport.

Yet that is just what our brains do with things we 'witness' through those windows into that spiritual realm we call dreams. We catch snippets of things completely that are wholly strange and unfamiliar to us as humans and render meaning through associations with things that are quite ordinary and familiar.

Last night in dream I was sitting in the right seat of a small commuter plane, soaring above the earth with another beside me in the left seat to whom I gave the controls... He immediately began aeronautic maneuvers like barrel rolls and pitching sharply nose down which created a sense of weightlessness in the cabin. As he did this his watch came floating up right in front of my face and I snatched it out of the air with my hand grasping hold of it.

It's as silly as a spiritual being needing a car. These modes of transport are only ways our limited minds make associations for us in an attempt to make those unfamiliar concepts make some sort of sense. It's like when Jesus was asked if we will marry in the raising up.... All he could tell them is 'You don't understand... it's not like that.' Neti, neti..... not that, not that.

Pearl (my beautiful mom's name also) when you say your dreams are like parables, you might not even realize how close to the mark you are, for the parables are like dreams. In truth, if I was to give you some direction regarding the meaning of your dream I would start like this-- you can take it or leave it... but the 'you' who was driving in the car was not the physical Pearl. It would be more proper to think of that one as the One who you have invited in. The One to whom you have surrendered the wheel, so to speak-- who leads and guides and directs your every turn in life whether left or right, and who is quite capable of constantly re-routing when 'we' physical being are not as responsive as we might be. In a spiritual understanding of your dream-- physical 'you' -are the car.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dreams are such a gift. Like little windows from which we see heavenly scenes not recognized with our waking moments. In dreams, these little glimpses we steal are a bit like overheard conversations that others are having, though we perceive those we see as 'us.' It's not exactly right, nor is it entirely wrong. "It was like..." is about the best we can come up with when remembering and rendering meaning from things we saw and heard. In truth-- 'you' were presumably asleep on your bed in a physical sense, yet in the dream this 'other you' was not bound to it's earthly tent, but perceived as 'driving in a car' -- a ridiculous thought when one considers the spiritual realm where there would be no need for that sort of transport.

Yet that is just what our brains do with things we 'witness' through those windows into that spiritual realm we call dreams. We catch snippets of things completely that are wholly strange and unfamiliar to us as humans and render meaning through associations with things that are quite ordinary and familiar.

Last night in dream I was sitting in the right seat of a small commuter plane, soaring above the earth with another beside me in the left seat to whom I gave the controls... He immediately began aeronautic maneuvers like barrel rolls and pitching sharply nose down which created a sense of weightlessness in the cabin. As he did this his watch came floating up right in front of my face and I snatched it out of the air with my hand grasping hold of it.

It's as silly as a spiritual being needing a car. These modes of transport are only ways our limited minds make associations for us in an attempt to make those unfamiliar concepts make some sort of sense. It's like when Jesus was asked if we will marry in the raising up.... All he could tell them is 'You don't understand... it's not like that.' Neti, neti..... not that, not that.

Pearl (my beautiful mom's name also) when you say your dreams are like parables, you might not even realize how close to the mark you are, for the parables are like dreams. In truth, if I was to give you some direction regarding the meaning of your dream I would start like this-- you can take it or leave it... but the 'you' who was driving in the car was not the physical Pearl. It would be more proper to think of that one as the One who you have invited in. The One to whom you have surrendered the wheel, so to speak-- who leads and guides and directs your every turn in life whether left or right, and who is quite capable of constantly re-routing when 'we' physical being are not as responsive as we might be. In a spiritual understanding of your dream-- physical 'you' -are the car.
I have no interest in searching for the meaning of ordinary dreams, I don't even try to analyse my dreams because most of them are just that, dreams - the subconscious filing away our thoughts and daily happenings. But occasionally I have a dream that I know is from God even whilst I'm still asleep. These ones are very real and instead of them dissolving in the waking minutes I can still recall them from years ago - there have been quite a few. And I feel blessed to have God show me things in this way. Sometimes I know the meaning straight away but if I am unsure I pray and ask God to show me as they are messages for me and also for sharing with others.

Reactions: Mr E

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual Sat-nav.

I think Satan works hard to mis-direct my path. He loves to give false direction. And he speaks in the spirit like a man speaks. But sometimes it is hard for me to discern whether or not it is God. And I don't think God speaks in words like a man that often and when he has in my life he has filled me with the spirit to know it was him (Galatians 5:22-23). I think God inspires us with Wisdom and Knowledge to direct us to a proper path (1 Corinthians 12:8).

I have received dreams and some are parable while others are more direct. I often find them confusing and hard to distinguish. I don't think I have been given the discernment of these dreams very often. I'm glad you are able to discern yours. But I find that often I have to wait years for an answer to a God dream. And sometimes it's after the thing has happened that I understand the dream.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think Satan works hard to mis-direct my path. He loves to give false direction. And he speaks in the spirit like a man speaks. But sometimes it is hard for me to discern whether or not it is God. And I don't think God speaks in words like a man that often and when he has in my life he has filled me with the spirit to know it was him (Galatians 5:22-23). I think God inspires us with Wisdom and Knowledge to direct us to a proper path (1 Corinthians 12:8).

I have received dreams and some are parable while others are more direct. I often find them confusing and hard to distinguish. I don't think I have been given the discernment of these dreams very often. I'm glad you are able to discern yours. But I find that often I have to wait years for an answer to a God dream. And sometimes it's after the thing has happened that I understand the dream.
we are all individuals to Him so he gives what we need in a way that is unique to us.

Reactions: dev553344

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual Sat-nav.

Blessings in Christ Jesus Pearl ! A few years ago I applied for a postal job. They wrote me back and said they wanted me to take the postal test. After a date was established, they sent me the address to be at, to take the test. It was about 50 miles from my house and I was not familiar with the area. The next day I talked to a friend and he agreed to let me borrow his US version of a sat-nav. On my day off I got familiar with the sat-nav and I did a test drive to the address the Post office gave me. I made it there and back with no problems. Finally the day to take the test came. As I was getting close, the sat-nav just quit, so I pulled over on the side of the road. And there I prayed unto The Lord. It was then that The Lord spoke and He gave me which turns to make, and led me all the way there. Turns out, I was only about 2 miles from the testing site when the sat-nav stopped working. I did pass that test that day, but without The Lord's faithfulness I would never have found my way there, that day. And so it with us, if we let Him. He will lead us, and guide us all, unto all righteousness, and then Home.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Blessings in Christ Jesus Pearl ! A few years ago I applied for a postal job. They wrote me back and said they wanted me to take the postal test. After a date was established, they sent me the address to be at, to take the test. It was about 50 miles from my house and I was not familiar with the area. The next day I talked to a friend and he agreed to let me borrow his US version of a sat-nav. On my day off I got familiar with the sat-nav and I did a test drive to the address the Post office gave me. I made it there and back with no problems. Finally the day to take the test came. As I was getting close, the sat-nav just quit, so I pulled over on the side of the road. And there I prayed unto The Lord. It was then that The Lord spoke and He gave me which turns to make, and led me all the way there. Turns out, I was only about 2 miles from the testing site when the sat-nav stopped working. I did pass that test that day, but without The Lord's faithfulness I would never have found my way there, that day. And so it with us, if we let Him. He will lead us, and guide us all, unto all righteousness, and then Home.
What a wonderful testimony, I love to hear people's stories of God's faithfulness

Reactions: Alfredthefifth