Pastor Dismissed for Views on Hell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
KingJ said:
Agreed Veteran! Sorry I ran out of 'like's.

Nail on the head Rach. God is good and just with those in heaven just as He is good and just with those in hell.

I know why, but I don't know the how....a Christian who reads Jesus saying eternal punishment miss interprets the 'eternal' part?

No debate = Eternal punishment = Eternal banishment.

Debatable = Eternal punishment = temporary suffering. There are only two reasons for this. 1. God is good. Not sick and twisted that He spend time inventing special torture devices. and 2. Our free will forerunners who fell are not yet in any suffering! The devil and all the fallen angels have not yet tasted any suffering except for the punishmnet of banishment.
The term "eternal", also rendered "everlasting", in some translations, is undebatable. It is about duration. Putting the two words together, we can see how long the punishment is. It is permanent. It will not end or change. However, the word 'punishment" should be considered separately from "eternal". Together, they tell us how long the punishment is. But they do not tell us what the punishment is. It simply says there is punishment, and it lasts forever. We cannot read the actual nature of the punishment from or into, the two words, but merely the duration of it. Therefore, there is no basis from the context of this phrase, that banishment is the punishment. In fact, if it is the punishment, then it would imply being conscious forever. This also would imply being alive forever. How can we go to that conclusion, when Jesus said that living forever is only ONE of the possible fates of a man? (see John 6:50,51). As well, John 3:16 renders everlasting LIFE as the opposite or alternative to perishing. They both cannot mean to live forever. No mention of alternate locations in either of these two references.

However, if the NATURE of the punishment is to be put to death, that is to be exterminated from life, then "eternal punishment" simply means to be put to death forever. That would be an eternal punishment. I propose that the doctrine of eternal conscious torment is dependent upon reading pre-conceived ideas into whatever texts are used to supposedly support it. Refer to my previous reply (#15)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The Psalms actually does give us more of a clue as to how the eternal punishment will be. They will consume away into smoke like the fat of lambs and shall not be (Ps.37). Rev.14 in relation to the eternal fire idea mentions the smoke of their torment rises forever. And the idea of perishing is used often in Scriipture also. If one understands Ezekiel 28 in part is referring to Satan, his final destruction is mentioned there, a fire burning from within turning him to ashes upon the earth.

So I'm inclined to think they won't be burning forever like a piece of bacon, but will be fully consumed, a full perishing, and no more.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
williemac said:
The term "eternal", also rendered "everlasting", in some translations, is undebatable. It is about duration. Putting the two words together, we can see how long the punishment is. It is permanent. It will not end or change. However, the word 'punishment" should be considered separately from "eternal". Together, they tell us how long the punishment is. But they do not tell us what the punishment is. It simply says there is punishment, and it lasts forever. We cannot read the actual nature of the punishment from or into, the two words, but merely the duration of it. Therefore, there is no basis from the context of this phrase, that banishment is the punishment. In fact, if it is the punishment, then it would imply being conscious forever. This also would imply being alive forever. How can we go to that conclusion, when Jesus said that living forever is only ONE of the possible fates of a man? (see John 6:50,51). As well, John 3:16 renders everlasting LIFE as the opposite or alternative to perishing. They both cannot mean to live forever. No mention of alternate locations in either of these two references.

However, if the NATURE of the punishment is to be put to death, that is to be exterminated from life, then "eternal punishment" simply means to be put to death forever. That would be an eternal punishment. I propose that the doctrine of eternal conscious torment is dependent upon reading pre-conceived ideas into whatever texts are used to supposedly support it. Refer to my previous reply (#15)
Annihilation = no true free will to reject God = partial God = bad God. Annihilation is not God! But then I will admit it is hard to grasp what kind of life He will make for them if not suffering in prison.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada

To be fair there were too many "hell fire preachers" in the old days that implied "come to my tent meeting or you are going to hell."

It amounted to fear tactics evangelism and technically is true .... but it turned a lot of people off because the first though that came to mind was ..... "what makes that preacher think he is better than me"

Many times christianity has abused the hell doctrine .... and now some downplay it too much .... which is also abusive .

By default fallen mankind and evil are destined for hell .... that includes us .... unless we are "saved" (from hell) through Christ.

We would not need a savior if there was no hell.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
KingJ said:
Annihilation = no true free will to reject God = partial God = bad God. Annihilation is not God! But then I will admit it is hard to grasp what kind of life He will make for them if not suffering in prison.
You are free to have you opinion. But I will stick to the scriptural evidence. The human soul is not immortal. Everlasting life only comes to those to whom God grants it. In fact, in Gen. 3:22, man was separated from access to the tree of life lest he should put out his hand, take and eat of it, and live forever. In John 6:50,51, Jesus said that those who partake of His flesh will not die, but live forever.

Notice I did not use the word "annihilation". The bible does not use it either. But in Math.10:28, we can find where God can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna, the lake of fire. In the first death, the body dies but not the soul, as the passage states. In the second death, both are destroyed. There are some who suggest that 'destroy' does not mean cessation of life. However, the context is about whether or not the soul can be killed. And if it cannot be killed by God, then we ought to take Jesus' advice and do not fear the one who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. That would include God, my friend. Why fear Him? Because He can!

This in no way invalidates free will. The free choice we are given is whether or not to know Him, have relationship with Him, and allow Him to be the Master of our purpose. Free will is not about choosing to perish or live forever. Those are merely the end result consequences of our free will, not the focus of it. Free will is required in order to have and appreciate meaningful relationship. That is its purpose.

Reactions: veteran

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Free will as defined by many people on this board does not exist. We do not have the power to choose between good and evil, we were not created to make that choice. It is similar to the idea that we have the power to remain healthy - not only is our health out of our control - we would never have to stay healthy if desease was not introduced. When we were in the Garden we had the ability to choose between good choices. A&E disobeyed God by eating the fruit, but they were not making an informed choice - their sin resulted in their brokenness, it did not give them any special power. Without God we can only choose between bad choices - it is impossible to make a good choice.

The idea that God wanted us to sin in order to appreciate Good or to be able to make good choices is a heresy.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
aspen said:
Free will as defined by many people on this board does not exist. We do not have the power to choose between good and evil, we were not created to make that choice. It is similar to the idea that we have the power to remain healthy - not only is our health out of our control - we would never have to stay healthy if desease was not introduced. When we were in the Garden we had the ability to choose between good choices. A&E disobeyed God by eating the fruit, but they were not making an informed choice - their sin resulted in their brokenness, it did not give them any special power. Without God we can only choose between bad choices - it is impossible to make a good choice.

The idea that God wanted us to sin in order to appreciate Good or to be able to make good choices is a heresy.
Therein lies the problem with the subject of free will. There is no universally agreed upon definition. However, I disagree with your assessment that Adam and Eve only had good choices. They were given one choice that was not a good one. If you could rightly stick up for them by using the excuse that it was an uninformed choice, then God would have had no just cause to administer consequences. Jesus once said.."forgive them Father, for they know not what they do". If you want to apply "they know not what they do" in the garden, then where was the forgiveness?

As well, what man is lacking is the ability to produce a righteous nature within himself. That is the reality in spite of what he would like to do or be if he could. But if you would merely consider the laws of our society, I think that you can see that people can indeed choose to obey them of disobey them. It happens all the time. As well, the marriage vows would be pointless and meaningless if they are not a reflection of the two partners choosing to have an intimate relationship with each other.

I assume that by saying "without God", you are siding with the so called Calvinist theory that a person cannot respond to the gospel unless God first intervenes and causes him to do it. If that were the case, we would be faced with the concept that God is not seeking meaningful relationship with people. On the contrary, the gospel is a type of proposal. God was in His Son, reconciling the world to Himself- the proposal- and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, as though He were PLEADING through us, saying.."be reconciled to God.' (from 2Cor.5:19,20)

God is pleading? Maybe someone should inform Him that man cannot respond. No, this is a proposal, and our acceptance is the " I Do".
Now, we don't have to call this free will, if it bothers anyone to do that. But whatever we call it, it certainly exists.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
williemac said:
You are free to have you opinion. But I will stick to the scriptural evidence. The human soul is not immortal. Everlasting life only comes to those to whom God grants it. In fact, in Gen. 3:22, man was separated from access to the tree of life lest he should put out his hand, take and eat of it, and live forever. In John 6:50,51, Jesus said that those who partake of His flesh will not die, but live forever.

Notice I did not use the word "annihilation". The bible does not use it either. But in Math.10:28, we can find where God can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna, the lake of fire. In the first death, the body dies but not the soul, as the passage states. In the second death, both are destroyed. There are some who suggest that 'destroy' does not mean cessation of life. However, the context is about whether or not the soul can be killed. And if it cannot be killed by God, then we ought to take Jesus' advice and do not fear the one who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. That would include God, my friend. Why fear Him? Because He can!

This in no way invalidates free will. The free choice we are given is whether or not to know Him, have relationship with Him, and allow Him to be the Master of our purpose. Free will is not about choosing to perish or live forever. Those are merely the end result consequences of our free will, not the focus of it. Free will is required in order to have and appreciate meaningful relationship. That is its purpose.
God can certainly annihilate us. No debate there. But think of how Jesus says there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. That implies suffering. Now why would God allow a period of suffering if only to annihilate them after? That is a mad God. Forget good and just. God teaches us to feed our enemies and He is not going to do the same? We can even look at the encounter between Jesus and the devil. Jesus never spoke with disrespect or hate to the devil. God gave him the time of day. ie. God showed some respect to the devil albeit he was evil incarnate.

When you think about this you need to picture a loved one not making the cut. Now understand that God loves that individual a lot more then you. God still loves the devil. No, I just don't see it. God will keep them living after suffering for their sins. But they simply will never be in His family. If we can recall our loved ones today, we will definitely recall them in heaven. When scripture says He will wipe away our tears, that doesn't mean He will remove our memory. No, it means He will remove the ''seeing through a glass darkly''... make us smarter / able to grasp that He is just in what is happening to those in hell. Even if its to our loved ones.

God is an open book with nothing to hide. All His actions are good and see through. If we oppose anything He is going to do, He has already thought of that. He wants us to judge angels one-day because we are good judges. If the majority of respected elders decide on a fate for those in hell, it is probably very close to what God has decided. You are a wise Christian. What would YOU judge / decide as their fate?

aspen said:

Our health is out of our control? We would never have to stay healthy if disease was not introduced?

Grasping free will is as simple as adding 1+1 = 2.

God is ominiscient + God is Creator + God created heaven and hell + God is good + God is impartial = Free will.
God is ominiscient + God is Creator + God created heaven and hell + God is bad + God is partial = no true free will.

Heck we just need...God is impartial + God created heaven and hell = true free will.

You simply cannot win this argument except to reject scripture. For you to believe otherwise you need to prove / provide scripture that says God is partial and bad / evil. Scripture! NOT some unhealthy opinion.

When it comes to people going to hell or heaven for eternity, we can be certain that true free will does exist. God is not dumb, mad, partial or evil! Anyone who does not believe in true free will simply has a warped / unscriptural view of God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoyed reading your response, williemac

Therein lies the problem with the subject of free will. There is no universally agreed upon definition. However, I disagree with your assessment that Adam and Eve only had good choices.
Yeah, I see your point. Let me clarify - it seems to me that A&E spent their time making choices in the Garden - all the choices they made before choosing to eat the fruit were creative, good and pleasing to God because they were choosing within His Will. Now we know that they made a fatal decision to act outside of His Will at some point - who knows how long they were in the Garden or how long the serpent actually tempted Eve.

So here is my point - i agree with you that A&E had the ability to obey or disobey God, but I do not think they were made to determine right from wrong. Humans can swim for awhile too, but we were made for life on land. A&E were made to be in relationship with God and each other - it is humanities defining characteristic.

They were given one choice that was not a good one. If you could rightly stick up for them by using the excuse that it was an uninformed choice, then God would have had no just cause to administer consequences. Jesus once said.."forgive them Father, for they know not what they do". If you want to apply "they know not what they do" in the garden, then where was the forgiveness?
It was certainly an uninformed choice - A&E were fully human - fully alive, they had never seen death and could not conceive of it. As far as consequences for eating the fruit - they were not contingent on full awareness. If you are struck with a disease you get sick and you may die regardless of your knowledge of bacteria or viruses. A&E did not ask for forgiveness - instead they asked for clothes, which God made for them - I believe clothing in the story represents our false self or as Paul calls it, the old man. They had ceased to be vulnerable with God and remained in their sin or sickness. Jesus told the Pharisees that he came for the sick.

Also, God blocked them from the Tree of Life as a mercy. He allowed the natural consequences of their action affect the quality of their relationship with Him and each other. Then, He spent the rest of time wooing us back.

As well, what man is lacking is the ability to produce a righteous nature within himself. That is the reality in spite of what he would like to do or be if he could. But if you would merely consider the laws of our society, I think that you can see that people can indeed choose to obey them of disobey them. It happens all the time. As well, the marriage vows would be pointless and meaningless if they are not a reflection of the two partners choosing to have an intimate relationship with each other.
Well I think we disagree on this point. I think humanity follows community laws out of self preservation - it is a result of selfish desire to overcome our fear of death. What Jesus offers us is freedom from this isolation - He offers us what we ultimately crave - community, forgiveness, wholeness. I also disagree with CS Lewis' Mere Christianity on the same point - He believes that all of humanity has a moral conscience and it is proof of God. I think it says more about his lack of experience with other cultures.

I assume that by saying "without God", you are siding with the so called Calvinist theory that a person cannot respond to the gospel unless God first intervenes and causes him to do it. If that were the case, we would be faced with the concept that God is not seeking meaningful relationship with people. On the contrary, the gospel is a type of proposal. God was in His Son, reconciling the world to Himself- the proposal- and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, as though He were PLEADING through us, saying.."be reconciled to God.' (from 2Cor.5:19,20)
I am about as far from Calvinism as you can get - I am Roman Catholic. I do believe, however, that God has been actively wooing us back into relationship with us ever since A&E separated themselves from Him in the Garden. I believe that He has to approach us first, because the Bible tells us this is how He works. Romans 8 and Ephesians 1:11. Unlike Calvin, I believe we are all predestined for a relationship with God.

God is pleading? Maybe someone should inform Him that man cannot respond. No, this is a proposal, and our acceptance is the " I Do". Now, we don't have to call this free will, if it bothers anyone to do that. But whatever we call it, it certainly exists.
Yes, we now have to make an artificial choice - instead of living as we were created to live, naturally - we have to choose to respond to Christ's justification and the sanctification of the Holy Spirit, because in our unredeemed state, we are incapable of of loving unselfishly.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Thank you, aspen, for clarifying your point of view. Good reply. I want to add that Adam and Eve had no real ability to determine right from wrong...yet. This ability came as a result of disobeying God. This is why it was/is called, the tree of "knowledge" of good and evil. I personally believe that this word is not about intellectual knowledge, but rather experiential knowledge. That knowledge came after they ate of the tree. It awakened the conscience. The conscience is worthy of a great deal more discussion than it gets.

As well, I would say that in our unredeemed state, we are certainly capable of loving unselfishly on occasion. Man has his moments. What he doesn't have is sustainability. Between you and I, I think the typical Calvinist viewpoint on 'total' depravity misses the mark. But now we are getting off topic. Cheers.

Reactions: aspen