Pastor Dismissed for Views on Hell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I understand why someone would believe what they do in this matter, but God's word is the final word...

Who's in Hell? Michigan Pastor's Book Sparks Debate About Eternal Torment

DURHAM, N.C. -- When Chad Holtz lost his old belief in hell, he also lost his job.

The pastor of a rural United Methodist church in North Carolina wrote a note on his Facebook page supporting a new book by Rob Bell, a prominent young evangelical pastor and critic of the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment for billions of damned souls.

Two days later, Holtz was told complaints from church members prompted his dismissal from Marrow's Chapel in Henderson.

"I think justice comes and judgment will happen, but I don't think that means an eternity of torment," Holtz said. "But I can understand why people in my church aren't ready to leave that behind. It's something I'm still grappling with myself."

The debate over Bell's new book "Love Wins" has quickly spread across the evangelical precincts of the Internet, in part because of an eye-catching promotional video posted on YouTube.

Bell, the pastor of the 10,000-member Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Mich., lays out the premise of his book while the video cuts away to an artist's hand mixing oil paints and pastels and applying them to a blank canvas.

He describes going to a Christian art show where one of the pieces featured a quote by Mohandas Gandhi. Someone attached a note saying: "Reality check: He's in hell."

"Gandhi's in hell? He is? And someone knows this for sure?" Bell asks in the video.

In the book, Bell criticizes the belief that a select number of Christians will spend eternity in the bliss of heaven while everyone else is tormented forever in hell.

"This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus' message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear," he writes in the book.

For many traditional Christians, though, Bell's new book sounds a lot like the old theological position of universalism — a heresy for many churches, teaching that everyone, regardless of religious belief, will ultimately be saved by God. And that, they argue, dangerously misleads people about the reality of the Christian faith.

"I just felt like on every page he's trying to say 'It's OK,'" said Southern Baptist Seminary President Albert Mohler at a forum last week on Bell's book held at the Louisville institution. "And there's a sense in which we desperately want to say that. But the question becomes, on what basis can we say that?"

Bell argues that hell has assumed an outsize importance in Christian teaching, considering the word itself only appears in the New Testament about 12 times, by his count.

"For a 1st-century Jewish rabbi, where you go when you die wasn't the most pressing question," Bell told The Associated Press. "The question was how can you enter into the shalom and peace of God right now, this day."

Bell denies he's a universalist, and his exact beliefs on what happens to people after death are hard to pin down, but he argues that such speculation distracts people from an urgent point. In his telling, hell is something freely chosen that already exists on earth, in everything from war to abusive relationships.

The near-relish with which some Christians stress the torments of hell, Bell argues, keep many believers needlessly afraid of a loving God, and repel potential Christians who might otherwise be curious about the faith's teachings.

"The heart of the Christian story is that God is love," he said. "But when you hear the word 'Christian,' you don't necessarily think 'Oh, sure, those are the people who don't stop talking about God's love.' Some other things would come to mind."

About the only thing everyone agrees on is that this is not a new debate in Christianity. It stretches to antiquity, when Christianity was a persecuted sect in the Roman Empire, and the third century theologian Origen developed a theory that contemporary critics charged would mean that everyone, even the devil himself, would ultimately be saved. Church leaders eventually condemned ideas they attributed to Origen, but he has had a lasting influence across the Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant traditions.

Those traditions often disagree, even internally, on what awaits souls after death. The Catholic Church, which has a formal process for identifying souls in heaven through canonization, pointedly refrains from saying that anyone is without a doubt in hell. Protestants reject the concept of purgatory, in which sins can be atoned for after death, but disagree on other questions. The lack of consensus is enabled partly by ambiguities in the Bible.

Evangelical opposition to Bell is exemplified in a succinct tweet from prominent evangelical pastor John Piper: "Farewell, Rob Bell."

Page Brooks, a professor at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, thinks Bell errs in a conception of a loving God that leaves out the divine attributes of justice and holiness.

"It's love, but it's a just love," Brooks said. "God is love, but you have to understand you're a sinner and the only way to get around that is through Christ's sacrifice on the cross."

Making his new belief public is both liberating and a little frightening for Holtz, even though his doubts about traditional doctrines on damnation began long before he heard about Rob Bell's book.

A married Navy veteran with five children, Holtz spent years trying to reconcile his belief that Jesus Christ's death on the cross redeemed the entire world with the idea that millions of people — including millions who had never even heard of Jesus — were suffering forever in hell.

"We do these somersaults to justify the monster god we believe in," he said. "But confronting my own sinfulness, that's when things started to topple for me. Am I really going to be saved just because I believe something, when all these good people in the world aren't?"

Gray Southern, United Methodist district superintendent for the part of North Carolina that includes Henderson, declined to discuss Holtz's departure in detail, but said there was more to it than the online post about Rob Bell's book.

"That's between the church and him," Southern said.

Church members had also been unhappy with Internet posts about subjects like gay marriage and the mix of religion and patriotism, Holtz said, and the hell post was probably the last straw. Holtz and his family plan to move back to Tennessee, where he'll start a job and maybe plant a church.

"So long as we believe there's a dividing point in eternity, we're going to think in terms of us and them," he said. "But when you believe God has saved everyone, the point is, you're saved. Live like it."

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 1Cor. 13:7
smile.gif

Reactions: aspen

Amazing Grace

Mar 21, 2011
I wonder why so many Christians today have a problem with God's System?

In the past it was accepted God was the Creater of everything including the palce of Everlasting Torment or Lake of Fire which most people refer to as Hell.

Seems today people have decided they don't like God's System and with that they just decide to ignore what they don't like in the Bible and change God's Truth to suit themselves.

No use in spending time explaining why Rob Bell and others like him are wrong. People who don't want to accept God's Truth will not be convinced throught logical argument. When there is an Elephant sitting in the room and you have several people decide they don't see the Elephant you might as well leave it to the Elephant to convince them otherwise. The Elephant will have a much easier time than your arguments convincing these ignorers of his/her presence.

So I praise God that His Sheep hear His voice and won't follow that of a Stranger. As it says in the Gospel of John. I am convinced that those who are the Lord's will not be easily led astray but will SEEK only the Lord and His Truth. Praying the Lord will open the eyes of any of His people that may be temporarily convinced of such wrong teaching as this by Rob Bell or others like him with their own wrong teaching. May God keep us from going astray and keep to His truth only. Amen

N 10:1 "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3 The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

JN 10:7 Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
It boggles my mind that some Christians feel that they are in the place to decide what God can or should do.
God is so very vast there is no way that we can comprehend all...all His thoughts or His plans. Neither can we comprehend just how good and loving He is. We have images of these things in scripture, and in the fact that our God died for us. We can also have no true idea at how Just He is too....if we cannot fully comprehend God, how can we really know the true nature and results of our sin??

And also, what happened to trust?? We know God is loving and good....people have no trouble believing that, why is it so hard to believe that He is also Just? That if our loving and soveriegn God acts in a Just manner, despite how it seems to our limited view, that it was indeed a loving, good and just action??

It just seems to me that when people, Christians in particular, start deciding what God can do, can't do...should or should not do according to their versions of what God is....that they are in fact trying to place themselves in the 'moral judge' seat. I think that's wrong....it's a terrible pride. We should trust that our Lord and God....who did infact die horribly for us, will do the best thing, the good and just thing...whatever that is.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I personally think burning forever is a super harsh punishment. But, then I think back to that time in 1989 where I was wrong. ;) So, maybe I'm not right about this either.

Reactions: day

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
This amazes me at the false doctrine being preached! But, Jesus and the apostles warned us of these wolves in sheeps clothing!

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
I guess this goes to show you that just because something is in a book--written by a Christian authority, doesn't mean it's true. I think that people, in general, get so puffed up with knowledge that they feel the need to come up with the newest "revelation" so they can get recognized...seems like a dangerous game.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
And also, what happened to trust?? We know God is loving and good....people have no trouble believing that, why is it so hard to believe that He is also Just? That if our loving and soveriegn God acts in a Just manner, despite how it seems to our limited view, that it was indeed a loving, good and just action??

-- You hit it on the head. Compared to God we are all a bunch of 4-year-olds trying to discuss quantum physics.

A small child is in no position to understand (let alone decide) whether what his loving parent is doing is right or just.

He or she may feel they can, but that obviously does not make it so.

What's worse, if the child is allowed to call the shots based on what he/she feels is right or just, it is pretty well guaranteed that the situation will only get worse.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, and my ways are not your ways," - Isaiah 55:8

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
God does not put people in hell they put themselves there. God is all about putting people in heaven through faith in Jesus ones only savior from sin.. YET SOME DONT WANT ANY PART OF JESUS OR THE HEAVEN HE WON FOR THEM...
They end up going not where God wants but rather where there chosen master Satan is doomed for.

Reactions: KingJ

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who do not hope for universal reconciliation misunderstand the nature of sin as a disease and short change the power of God to transform/cure our hearts.

Reactions: ajdiamond

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And since God loves everyone and teaches us to love our enemies, we should expect nothing less from Him

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
aspen said:
Those who do not hope for universal reconciliation misunderstand the nature of sin as a disease and short change the power of God to transform/cure our hearts.
Yes. And to take it deeper....

Those who do not hope for universal reconciliation misunderstand their fundamental nature, the essence of their being.
They have abandoned their first Love and need remember from where they have fallen (descended) those many ages ago. (Rev 2:4-5)
Universal reconciliation is, because of what we are, the offspring of God.

In him we live and move and have our being.
Our being and His being are One.

Reactions: aspen

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Foreigner said:
-- You hit it on the head. Compared to God we are all a bunch of 4-year-olds trying to discuss quantum physics.

A small child is in no position to understand (let alone decide) whether what his loving parent is doing is right or just.

He or she may feel they can, but that obviously does not make it so.

What's worse, if the child is allowed to call the shots based on what he/she feels is right or just, it is pretty well guaranteed that the situation will only get worse.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, and my ways are not your ways," - Isaiah 55:8

God is a communicator. He has said many things, inspired an entire book to be recorded, and has given us the ability to comprehend. We can think, reason, and respond. The bible exhorts man to get understanding. Even Jesus said that he who hears the word of God and understands it, bears fruit, some 100, some 60, some 30. With this in mind we can certainly read, meditate, and pray on certain subjects such as this and discuss what the bible says or doesn't say. Problems can arise when a person allows his opinion or feelings to influence what he thinks the bible is saying or what it should say. People often come to conclusions well before they have considered all the evidence, then set about to try to biblically prove their conclusion.

Many conclusions that I have come to are the result of years of study, meditation, prayer, and discussion. But even then, I am committed to being correctable. Having said that, I do not see any biblical proof of forever human conscious torment. I have given my argument on this in other threads.

In summary, I see two places(for lack of a better word), that are translated as "hell". The first one is Hades. This is the place where the unsaved enter into upon physical death and remain alive there until the final judgment and the second death....after the 1000 yr. reign of Christ. Then those (humans) who are cast into the Lake of Fire are exterminated from life. There is weeping, gnashing of teeth, and mental anguish (torment) in the first death. These are done away with when both body and soul are destroyed in the lake of fire (Math.10:28). In that passage, the word for hell is not Hades, but Gehenna. It is a reference to the second death.

One thing I had pondered was whether or not the soul is immortal. Another was the term "live forever". In John 6:50, 51, Jesus gives two possible scenarios, which are to either die or live forever. Since they are in contrast with one another, they cannot be the same. But the doctrine of forever torment relies and insists that the human will be conscious forever. This would mean that in both cases, lost or saved, the fate is to live forever. Jesus did not give any such indication or option. Even in John 3:16, to perish cannot be the same as to have everlasting life.

In either of those two references in John, Jesus made no mention of location. He spoke only of duration of life.

These passages do not allow for universal reconciliation. In my opinion, Jesus would have been deceptive in giving two possible fates if He knew that this was going to occur. But neither do these passages allow for the conclusion that a human will remain alive forever in both possible fates, but rather just one of them.

Reactions: SolaGratia

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The concept of universal reconciliation is contradicted by Revelation 20:11-15 (ESV):

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
williemac said:
God is a communicator. He has said many things, inspired an entire book to be recorded, and has given us the ability to comprehend. We can think, reason, and respond. The bible exhorts man to get understanding. Even Jesus said that he who hears the word of God and understands it, bears fruit, some 100, some 60, some 30. With this in mind we can certainly read, meditate, and pray on certain subjects such as this and discuss what the bible says or doesn't say. Problems can arise when a person allows his opinion or feelings to influence what he thinks the bible is saying or what it should say. People often come to conclusions well before they have considered all the evidence, then set about to try to biblically prove their conclusion.

Many conclusions that I have come to are the result of years of study, meditation, prayer, and discussion. But even then, I am committed to being correctable. Having said that, I do not see any biblical proof of forever human conscious torment. I have given my argument on this in other threads.

In summary, I see two places(for lack of a better word), that are translated as "hell". The first one is Hades. This is the place where the unsaved enter into upon physical death and remain alive there until the final judgment and the second death....after the 1000 yr. reign of Christ. Then those (humans) who are cast into the Lake of Fire are exterminated from life. There is weeping, gnashing of teeth, and mental anguish (torment) in the first death. These are done away with when both body and soul are destroyed in the lake of fire (Math.10:28). In that passage, the word for hell is not Hades, but Gehenna. It is a reference to the second death.

One thing I had pondered was whether or not the soul is immortal. Another was the term "live forever". In John 6:50, 51, Jesus gives two possible scenarios, which are to either die or live forever. Since they are in contrast with one another, they cannot be the same. But the doctrine of forever torment relies and insists that the human will be conscious forever. This would mean that in both cases, lost or saved, the fate is to live forever. Jesus did not give any such indication or option. Even in John 3:16, to perish cannot be the same as to have everlasting life.

In either of those two references in John, Jesus made no mention of location. He spoke only of duration of life.

These passages do not allow for universal reconciliation. In my opinion, Jesus would have been deceptive in giving two possible fates if He knew that this was going to occur. But neither do these passages allow for the conclusion that a human will remain alive forever in both possible fates, but rather just one of them.
I agree. We do not have the source of our life within us, every created being depends on God to sustain it. To imagine that God would sustain a being in existence forever merely to torment it is not in keeping with the character of a just and loving God.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Foreigner said:
Bell denies he's a universalist, and his exact beliefs on what happens to people after death are hard to pin down, but he argues that such speculation distracts people from an urgent point. In his telling, hell is something freely chosen that already exists on earth, in everything from war to abusive relationships.
Bell could be a lot more than just a Universalist. Truly, the denial of hell as a real place was a denial associated not only with atheists but also the early Gnostic sects. It's still a modern Gnostic doctrine today, treating the concept of hell to mean evils upon this earth and not any other place.

The Bible is clear about hell though, even though that's just an English word put for either 'hades', or a place of perpetual fire with the valley of Hinom idea, or tartaroo about the depths of hades where the evil angels are kept in chains till the great day of God's judgment.

Origen and others at Alexandria, Egypt were influeced by the paganism present there in their days, so no problem understanding why he'd latch onto Gnostic concepts about hell not being a real place.

When our Lord Jesus at His resurrection went to preach to the "spirits in prison" per Apostle Peter, that was in the Heavenly, that 'pit' being in the Heavenly dimension in a place of separation away from God. Per the prophecy Jesus led those who believed out of that pit prison house.

In Luke 16, Jesus told a story about two men, one a poor beggar preacher, and another a rich man. Both died and the poor beggar was taken to the bosom on Abraham, but the rich man's body was buried and he was taken to the pit of hell where in torments he was able to see Abraham and Lazarus far off and told there was a great fixed gulf between them. Our Lord Jesus wouldn't give us such a description about the Heavenly abode of hell unless it really existed.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Agreed Veteran! Sorry I ran out of 'like's.

Nail on the head Rach. God is good and just with those in heaven just as He is good and just with those in hell.

I know why, but I don't know the how....a Christian who reads Jesus saying eternal punishment miss interprets the 'eternal' part?

No debate = Eternal punishment = Eternal banishment.

Debatable = Eternal punishment = temporary suffering. There are only two reasons for this. 1. God is good. Not sick and twisted that He spend time inventing special torture devices. and 2. Our free will forerunners who fell are not yet in any suffering! The devil and all the fallen angels have not yet tasted any suffering except for the punishmnet of banishment.

Reactions: veteran

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Dodo_David said:
The concept of universal reconciliation is contradicted by Revelation 20:11-15 (ESV):
Act 2:37 hades (grave)

Act 2:31 hades (grave)

Jam 3:6 geenee (a valley of Jerusalem)

2Pet 2:4 tartaroo (the deepest abyss of hades) the angels that sinned were cast down here, could not be the place of flames and torment, for they were cast down there to be reserved for punishment.

Hell in the book of Revelation is always hades (grave) and notice
Rev 20:14 that death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. So if hell is the lake of fire, how was it thrown into its self? The only place of fire was in Jam 3:6 which was a valley in Jerusalem that was used as a dump where it burned most of the time. Even there it would mean the body would be thrown into it, not just the soul.

So in the new testament epistles it never speaks of a burning hell.

Something else:

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Here the dead are judged out of those things which were written in the books (old testament), according to their works. Those being judged are the Jews who were under the law. (Christians are not judged by our works, we have had our sins forgiven)

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
The sea refers to the gentiles that lived during the age of law, they were not judged by the law but by their works. (those who have not been born again have no reason to be judged, they made their choice. Those that turned away from God after first being born again would also have made their choice)

Just another point to confirm that the book of Revelation has been fulfilled.

Hell is a grave where the body is buried.