Paul And The Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 1:17-25
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

Christ the Power and Wisdom of God (cf. Isa 29:14)

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."
20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Doesn't say to those who keep rules and regulations.

22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom;
23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,
24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
NKJV

Gal 6:11-12 - Glory Only in the Cross
11 See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand!
12 As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.
NKJV

Col 2:13-20
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.
20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations —
NKJV

It is a pity that most will not believe that their sins of the flesh, all of them, were paid for on the cross by Jesus when He shed His blood on a cross. The religious glory in their own works but the Children of God glory in the work of Jesus on the cross

B

brakelite

So when you wander the hedgerows and highways and bi-ways of life, and share the gospel with the lost, what is it exactly that you offer them? Here they are, lost in sin and bound by their addictions and bad habits, and it seems to me that all you offer them is forgiveness and a promise of eternal life. But what of their addictions? What of their sin?
"Sorry guys, while Jesus forgives you, you have no hope of getting free from all that stuff, the gospel doesn't have the power to do that. And even though you may come into a relationship with the Creator of the universe, not even He has that much power bro. You gonna sin till the day you die. As for your alcohol and dope, you may as well keep it cos God can't do anything for you"
Let me testify to you both MJH and HR, God does have the power to free men from sin and the addictions that this life brings upon the poor sinner. I know. I was one of them.
1 ¶ This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Reactions: bbyrd009

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and it seems to me that all you offer them is forgiveness and a promise of eternal life.
Funny, is just what Christ has offered them....

Joh_3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

as for sin

Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Rom 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Rom 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Rom 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Your heart may be right but your religions id doing you in..

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those that do not have God's Commandments written on their hearts will oppose those written on stone.

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
still tryna drive huh Dave well i skipped third grade ok but if you go back a much shorter distance, 5-6 posts, you will find a remedy more practical to the current situation imo? Or you might recall the last time we did that and the result, which i have kept on file btw. 'Member? but you could search "rephrase Dave" posted by member "bbyrd009" if you want, prolly in there too

why do u sound surprised that people have a hard time understand u. dont sound surprised but continoo on

Nov 2, 2016
USA
There's no such thing as Works Salvation...I don't know why this has to be repeated continually.

Just because non-osas deny they're preaching works, doesn't change the fact that they are
ther working for salvation so they dont lose salvation 0go
d blessing happy sant

Nov 2, 2016
USA
As you can see, no where does it state that we must be saved to have eternal life...instead the early Christians spoke about what we have to DO to be saved.

Sorry again. The above does not speak to being "born again" but rather supports the quotes I've posted from the ECF.

Rom 10:9 states what we must do to be saved to have eternal life, believe and confess but realy mean it

1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, and in which you stand firm. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

6I am astonished how quickly you are deserting the One who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is not even a gospel. Evidently some people are troubling you and trying to distort the gospel of Christ.

8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be under a divine curse! 9As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you embraced, let him be under a divine curse!

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Maybe the truth is too tough for nowadays?

All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son, and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him. 28Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Reactions: GodsGrace

Nov 2, 2016
USA
You can't answer the simple question I've also asked you a few times.

NO ONE on this forum is saying that we are saved by works.
We are saved by grace THROUGH faith....

Here's @brakelite 's question again:
The question is, are we obliged to obey God's commandments, or not?

It's a simple question requiring a simple yes or no.
No double talk here that I could see...

Here's my answer: YES.

out of thankfulness to the cross, not to t save ourself

Nov 2, 2016
USA
So obedience to the great Almighty become nothing more than an optional extra.

no obedience is a requirement for sanctification and growth, less we fall back into babes Heb 5:14, Heb 6:1. tha law and grace thing should be knowledge well known. now its time to move on to the meat

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Ca only put it as

Act_15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

but of course we also have

Jas_2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

which is why we have so many "guilty" christians around trying to save themselves. For when your "religion" demands " you keep the law, i guess one must, to save face before men, and we know what God thinks of that.

And why would Christ insist we do something that only He could ever do, knowing that we cannot do it, since He has already done it. Seem we have some really troubled individuals out there....

troubled an blind
as they draw closer to offeri..
youtube(dot)com/watch?v=ModWgnl-oas
time is running out though

Nov 2, 2016
USA
You pay lip service to the ten commandments, but in reality you only truly believe in 9 of them.

why not 8 of themg as mjr would say, its this bit

you pay lip service to Jesus himself, but in reality

Mat 15:8 "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.

Jhn 5 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Rom 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
the prob there might be that you will likely remain blind to the many sins you are already comfortable indulging, as you have even indicated by ignoring them when they are referenced
as God in the flesh speaks to the human worm that can never live up to God in the flesh :cool:
‘Is it not written in your law [in Psalms 82:6], “I said, ‘You are gods’ ”? If He [God] called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, “You are blaspheming,” because I said, “I am the Son of God”?’” (John 10:34-36).

so I'll pass on that too thanks. No offense but being as how you so obviously don't know, you might post a bit less confidently?
Do what you like though

but what you are saying is evil ok, the children of God are not worms.
I am a worm is indicating an action, not possession, Heb

so i want to be clear here, you are a worm, yes, bc you worm, by choice,
and since you won't understand this, by choice, either, you could ask any mother of children what worm means...or don't ok, doesn't matter to me, i don't think any less of you Heb, in fact i think more of you if you consider yourself a worm i guess huh

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that the religious only want to put people under the law by saying it is a commandment to keep them.

The Jews wanted Paul's Gentile converts to go under the law (ACTS 15) Under Paul's gospel of God's grace given to him by Jesus, that would be a sin because it rejects salvation being the work of God on the cross. Those that reject God's grace (His work on the cross) are committing the sin of unbelief in God's word, promises.

All through the Bible the sin that brings about non-forgiveness is the sin of unbelief in God's promises. In Hebrews the sin that is being talked about is the sin of unbelief. God makes a promise and religious man just does not want to believe it.

God has said all those that trust in His Son's work on the cross WILL BE SAVED but the religious want to be saved by their works, not God's. They are committing the same sin as Cain committed.