Peacemakers vs Peaceable

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Peace unto all who are awake at this time. :D

I am sure the holy spirit spoke to me a moment ago (John 14:26), and I felt inclined to write this.
The spirit reminded me of scriptures such as Hebrews 12:14
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone (New International Version)
Strive for peace with everyone(English Standard Version)
Pursue peace with everyone(Berean Study Bible)

I like the word Paul used, which involves real effort - not half hearted.
Then there is Romans 12:18
Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. (New Living Translation)
If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. (New American Standard Bible)

Also James 3:18 - Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness; Matthew 5:9 - Blessed are the peacemakers; 1 Peter 3:11 - seek peace and pursue it.

In 2 Corinthians 13:11, and 1 Thessalonians 5:13, Paul encourages Christians to "live in peace" or to "live peaceably" - to be peaceable.

I think there is a difference - though not very big, but noticeable - between being a peacemaker, and being peaceable.
For example, I am a peaceable person, but am I a peacemaker?
I think it's very good to be peaceable, or to live in peace with people - that is, not get into any conflict with them, but I think it is far better to be a peacemaker - to pursue peace - that is, seek to make peace, even with those who may not be at peace with us.

That requires real effort, like going out of our way to do something that we would normally not do... something good, of course. ;)
I am reminded of what Paul said at Romans 12:20, 21

I'm thankful the holy spirit brought this to my attention.
I am thinking of my neighbors, and how I can pursue peace with all people.
:)