PEARL'S PEARLS; encouragement & inspiration.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A FORM OF FREEDOM

One summer, on a warm and sunny day out in Lytham, I heard some birds singing very loudly. They sounded very close at hand but I didn’t recognise their calls. I stood up from my place at an outdoor table and peered into the nearby trees but could see no sign of any birds. After puzzling about it for a few minutes I became aware of people pointing and on turning round in my chair I saw the unbelievable sight of two beautiful cockatiels sitting on their perches in a cage which was being transported in a small home-made trailer attached to the back of an old bicycle. The birds’ owner had parked them up outside the bank whilst he conducted his bit of business and they were drawing quite a bit of admiring attention. These birds were obviously happy to be out in the warm sunshine and obviously felt a sort of freedom; but they were not free. They were not being allowed to fulfil their true potential for flight in the element for which they were designed.

I believe that there are many Christians like that; they have seen the light and enjoy the warmth of God’s love and are quite happily sitting on their perches singing inside the cages they have built, or have allowed others to build, around them. We all have the potential to fly in the spiritual element for which we are designed; to soar like eagles; so why do we settle for anything less. So if you recognise this feeling that you are in a ‘cage’ let me strongly encourage you to remove all the restrictions in your lives that are being allowed to form those cages so that you might fulfil your true potential to soar in the spiritual realms. And we can only fully succeed in this with the help and infilling of the Holy Spirit.

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36

OIP.0z4SE6PC5XkyS8pWX3yKDwHaLG

Beautiful thoughts Pat,

"I believe that there are many Christians like that; they have seen the light and enjoy the warmth of God’s love and are quite happily sitting on their perches singing inside the cages they have built, or have allowed others to build, around them. We all have the potential to fly in the spiritual element for which we are designed; to soar like eagles; so why do we settle for anything less."

This reminds me of two things. One is a quote from C.S. Lewis":
It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are
far too easily pleased.”

And a quote from a Keith Green song, Asleep In The Light:

"Oh, bless me Lord, bless me Lord
You know, it's all I ever hear
No one aches, no one hurts, no one even sheds one tear
But He cries, He weeps, He bleeds
And He cares for your needs
And you just lay back and keep soaking it in
Oh, can'tcha see it's such sin?"

You are so right, Christians DO settle for so much less. Many are in a bubble and I include myself in this somewhat as, I'm pretty much alone the huge majority of the time. God wants us to shine our lights and the only way to do that is to be around un believers as well as (of course) believers...how else will they see and hear the Gospel in us?

xoxoxo

Reactions: Pearl

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could I have missed this beautiful thread.... This will be the first thing I look at when I come back to the forums tomorrow...
@Pearl ... thank you for sharing this with me... Psalm 91 is my favorite. I love the thought of hiding in the shelter of His wings... being hidden in him.

That is what I said too. Now I stay mainly in Bible study and up, because my spirit is just uplifted here. Pearl inspires me so much.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This picture of marriage has really opened my eyes to how things should be and I hope it blesses those who read it.
Oh my goodness @Pearl ... this is the most beautiful description of marriage I have ever read.
This thread is like a babbling brook... full of life and joy.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is what I said too. Now I stay mainly in Bible study and up, because my spirit is just uplifted here. Pearl inspires me so much.

The scriptures tell us;
Matthew 10:8
Freely you have received; freely give.

So I freely share what God has given me. And I'm so glad that it blesses people.

Reactions: Mayflower

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my goodness @Pearl ... this is the most beautiful description of marriage I have ever read.
Thank you Addy. All these 'pearls' are God-given and I started this thread because I wanted to create a place of calm and share with others what God has given me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
MY LORD OF THE DANCE

Through the fast swirling crowd
I catch sight of his face,
And I’m awed by his power
And his masculine grace.
See, he approaches
With love in his glance;
Stretches out his strong arms
And invites me to dance.
Trembling, I rise,
Reaching out for his hand,
And we take to the floor
In a slow saraband.

He leads and I follow
As we move to the beat
In stately progression
With light dancing feet.
The tempo increases,
My spirits are high,
As with joyous abandon
We twirl and we fly,
Moving together
We cover the floor;
Hearts and bodies attuned.
The pace changes once more.

His arms now enfold me
As we twirl in a waltz.
He’s captivated my heart,
How can I be false?
To him, my first love
I will always be true,
Each morning with him
I will find something new.
The Lord Of The Dance
Is my lover and friend
And together we’ll dance
Till eternity’s end.

Pat 22nd March 2010

OIP.tE8PjnIoy9BmHP68sTwfwgHaKr

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-26_10-0-40.png
    upload_2021-3-26_10-0-40.png
    974.8 KB · Views: 0

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

@Addy
My marriage wasn't always like that Addy. We were never short of money for the first ten years but we had a child and he got made redundant a few months later. Then he felt financially insecure and his mood could change in a flash like a light being switched on. I never really knew what caused the rages but it was always my fault. I lost my confidence and self worth and found it hard to face people because I thought they would guess, but I couldn't leave because of the child and because I had nowhere to go and because I still loved him and prayed for him to change.

It got so bad that I sometimes wished he would die as I could see no other way out. And then one day when we were getting ready to go out we were both in the bathroom together and a full bath of water had been run for one of us. Anyway he was shaving and I must have said something to upset him as he turned on me, pushed me into the water and tried to hold me under. And then he pushed me out the front door. It was really scary even though looking back I don't think he would have followed through with it.

It was the last straw and the consequence of that was that the very same day my friend and neighbour found me and my child a safe house with a young Christian couple who were strangers to me. My friends had been out for the day and felt a pressing need to get home early so that was God at work and they were in when I knocked at their door.

The people who took me in went on holiday and left us alone in their home and we made plans to find a little house to rent and ask our Christian friends to supply furniture and stuff. I had left for good.

Anyway after about a week into this separation my friend Bob who is a pastor, and a few other guys from church went to visit Ray and try to talk some sense into him. Of course it was all still my fault and he wouldn't back down so they brought in the 'big guns', a guy from another church who was mentor to Bob. In the end they 'strongly persuaded' him to come to the next Sunday's meeting at the big guy's church. Bob knocked him up on the Sunday morning and announced he was taking him to church. He was too tired to put up any resistance so reluctantly he went thinking that if they thought he was going to have any remorse they were very much mistaken. And once there all he could think of was how he could get out.

After a while somebody on the platform said, ”Someone here this morning is really hurting and God wants to take away that hurt right now. Come forward now and meet with the Lord” came the voice from the front again. But he still said, “IT’S NOT ME”

But suddenly he was walking out to the front and was helped onto the platform and then the floodgates opened. He cried and cried and just could not control himself. He wept for what seemed like ages. People prayed for him and he called out, “I want Pat, I want Pat” I went to him but he could see what damage he had done. I didn't want him. I didn't trust him. I had been prepared to start a new life without him. He asked me to forgive him and give him another chance as he said he still loved me deeply.

What the Holy Spirit did for us that day was wonderful and He has been working in us ever since. He has restored our marriage and I can honestly say that we are totally different people to what we once were, with a love for God and each other that has no bounds. Praise God . . .!!

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Addy. All these 'pearls' are God-given and I started this thread because I wanted to create a place of calm and share with others what God has given me.
@Addy Do you know anybody else who would like the thread?

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know anybody else who would like the thread?

@Pearl not saying this for you to stop coming here, I'm staying on here too. But in the short period of time, this little site has had such precious jewels here. Devotionals, everything. I just think if you started a thread and started sharing your wisdom there too, it would be beautiful. If you do, tag me. I'm Mayflower there also:

www.talkjesus.com

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl not saying this for you to stop coming here, I'm staying on here too. But in the short period of time, this little site has had such precious jewels here. Devotionals, everything. I just think if you started a thread and started sharing your wisdom there too, it would be beautiful. If you do, tag me. I'm Mayflower there also:

www.talkjesus.com
I'm not quite sure what you mean Mayflower, this is already open to anybody that wants to have a look. Or do you mean somewhere else as well?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
THIS JESUS

There’s a baby lying in the hay,
Innocent and pure.
Do you see him?
The angel host began to sing,
As this child was born to bring
New hope to all mankind.

There’s a young man walking by the sea,
Innocent and pure.
Do you hear him?
As he calls out to the fishermen
To leave their nets and follow him
The Saviour of mankind.

There’s a young man hanging on a cross,
Innocent no more.
Do you need him?
He bears the sins of the human race,
Gladly dying in our place;
This Saviour of mankind.

There’s a young man risen from the grave,
Innocent once more.
Will you heed him?
As he leads the way to the Father’s throne;
This young man wants you for his own;
This Lover of Mankind

This Saviour who was born to die,
This God who made the earth and sky
This man who never told a lie
This Jesus.

This Saviour with the loving face
This God who saves us through his grace
This man dying in your place
This Jesus.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FOOD FOR THE SOUL

Although we wouldn’t dream of going without food unless we are fasting or ill we do sometimes neglect the spiritual food of God’s word.

Reading our bibles is a bit like having a meal. We can remember what we ate yesterday; even a couple of days ago. We can remember what is in our cupboards, fridges and freezers for next time, but unless we take it out of the cupboard and eat it, it won’t feed us or do us any good at all. And what we ate yesterday will not sustain us for very long and will soon be gone from our bodies.

The same is true of our spiritual food; we know a good deal of what the scriptures contain, we possibly know where to find the passages in our bibles; we may have read a verse or two yesterday or consumed a whole chapter last week but in order to be spiritually strong and healthy we need to feed on the word of God daily.

Use the scriptures as spiritual food. Feast on the word; eat heartily; or just dip into it and snack. You will put on spiritual weight but that is good, it is what we need.

Isaiah 55:2 (KJV)
Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

98b3c24d32eab57c7319cce4d0fa1b43.jpg

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FOOD FOR THE SOUL

Although we wouldn’t dream of going without food unless we are fasting or ill we do sometimes neglect the spiritual food of God’s word.

Reading our bibles is a bit like having a meal. We can remember what we ate yesterday; even a couple of days ago. We can remember what is in our cupboards, fridges and freezers for next time, but unless we take it out of the cupboard and eat it, it won’t feed us or do us any good at all. And what we ate yesterday will not sustain us for very long and will soon be gone from our bodies.

The same is true of our spiritual food; we know a good deal of what the scriptures contain, we possibly know where to find the passages in our bibles; we may have read a verse or two yesterday or consumed a whole chapter last week but in order to be spiritually strong and healthy we need to feed on the word of God daily.

Use the scriptures as spiritual food. Feast on the word; eat heartily; or just dip into it and snack. You will put on spiritual weight but that is good, it is what we need.

Isaiah 55:2 (KJV)
Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

98b3c24d32eab57c7319cce4d0fa1b43.jpg

I had a dream one time where I was standing on a buffet line. I had a normal sized portion of food on my plate. There was a man next to me with a long brown trenchcoat on. He had his plate just stacked high to the sky with food from the buffet line. He switched over to a short line where an older man was checking him out. I stayed on the long line. Guess I wasn't done yet. Maybe was taking me a bit longer to get some food.

I was just telling someone about this today and then read your story here. I think it is so true about spiritual food. We choose what we take or not. And some take more then others. I think it is important to ask for wisdom/discernment and pile our plates high with God's Word food daily, so we can grow spiritually. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And definitely need to consistently consume the Word and pray without ceasing. Very good, Pearl. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
WALKING WITH GOD

I believe that every one of us who is born again is walking with God at all times but not always very closely. I have recently been reminiscing about my dog Babsie and realised that for many of us our walk with God is a bit like a dog's walk with its owner.

Anyone who has ever walked a dog will know what I mean. You let it off the lead and unless it is incredibly well behaved it runs off all over the place to sniff at this and that and to explore; full of enthusiasm, tail wagging like mad, returning every few minutes to make sure you're still there. In this way it travels at least ten times the distance of the person walking it. Or it wants to go a different way to your planned route - our Babsie was always very keen to cross over every bridge we came to when we walked the canals and we always had to call her back and say, "This way Babsie."

Another thing that dogs do if they are not on a lead is to get themselves in awkward or even dangerous situations like going through a gap in a fence and running along on the wrong side of it and then not being able to get back and having to return to the point where it went in; or falling into water that it is unable to get out of unaided and having to be dragged out by the collar, or jumping over low walls only to discover a deep drop on the other side and again the collar has to be used to rescue it. Our Babsie did all these things on a regular basis but we loved her in spite of it.

We are all so much like that dog. When we are walking with God he never puts us on a lead so off we go, wandering all over the place exploring and getting into trouble. If we stayed to 'heel' though we would benefit so much from that greater closeness to our Master, we'd be safe from harm and be able to talk to him and hear him talking to us. And we would be able to save time and energy by just following where he leads us instead of going off and doing our own thing.

upload_2021-5-7_20-26-50.png

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WALKING WITH GOD

I believe that every one of us who is born again is walking with God at all times but not always very closely. I have recently been reminiscing about my dog Babsie and realised that for many of us our walk with God is a bit like a dog's walk with its owner.

Anyone who has ever walked a dog will know what I mean. You let it off the lead and unless it is incredibly well behaved it runs off all over the place to sniff at this and that and to explore; full of enthusiasm, tail wagging like mad, returning every few minutes to make sure you're still there. In this way it travels at least ten times the distance of the person walking it. Or it wants to go a different way to your planned route - our Babsie was always very keen to cross over every bridge we came to when we walked the canals and we always had to call her back and say, "This way Babsie."

Another thing that dogs do if they are not on a lead is to get themselves in awkward or even dangerous situations like going through a gap in a fence and running along on the wrong side of it and then not being able to get back and having to return to the point where it went in; or falling into water that it is unable to get out of unaided and having to be dragged out by the collar, or jumping over low walls only to discover a deep drop on the other side and again the collar has to be used to rescue it. Our Babsie did all these things on a regular basis but we loved her in spite of it.

We are all so much like that dog. When we are walking with God he never puts us on a lead so off we go, wandering all over the place exploring and getting into trouble. If we stayed to 'heel' though we would benefit so much from that greater closeness to our Master, we'd be safe from harm and be able to talk to him and hear him talking to us. And we would be able to save time and energy by just following where he leads us instead of going off and doing our own thing.

View attachment 14673

You probably mean leash....

But yeh, it feels that way. LOL. And we are called sheep, and they are dumber then dogs even. LOL.

I am grateful God doesn't put me on a leash. God is so patient with us. Thanks Pearl

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You probably mean leash....

But yeh, it feels that way. LOL. And we are called sheep, and they are dumber then dogs even. LOL.

I am grateful God doesn't put me on a leash. God is so patient with us. Thanks Pearl
Leash is the same thing as a lead. But either way I'm glad God doesn't put them on us.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WALKING WITH GOD

View attachment 14673

This analogy is so true, and to me it shines light on what the Lord desires of us most. Dogs can also be rather disgusting creatures, LoL. They do things that are unseemly as well as truly distasteful, quite literally. This is referred to in 2 Peter 2:21-22. So how do they make up for these serious shortcomings in the eyes of human beings? They are faithful and loyal. They may not always obey, but they at least always give you the impression that they want to. And they are very loving.

Because of all these things, they are often referred to as "Man's best friend." We will never be perfectly obedient to God either. And for some of us, well... let's just say Christians can cause Him serious embarrassment sometimes. But it's our love for Him and our faithfulness to Him and our loyalty to Him that causes Him to overlook our indiscretions. Certainly He will correct us on things because certain behaviors simply cannot be tolerated. But when He can see we love Him and we are trying our best, He forgives us, knowing that we bring Him more joy and happiness than grief, and knowing that the love we have for Him will lead us to try and correct the things we are still getting wrong.

I love the dog analogy. It's taught me a lot about the Lord, what He desires and tolerates, and what brings Him the most joy. :)

Reactions: Mayflower and Pearl