Pedophiles - it's not their fault

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dave24

Sep 5, 2015
As disgusting and evil as this is! We must remember that if the individual repents and doesn't re-offend he can get forgiveness from God. If this is an illness, then i think the only cure could come from God's spirit. What worries me is that a lot of these offenders are regular church going Christians...(so called).

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Dave24 said:
As disgusting and evil as this is! We must remember that if the individual repents and doesn't re-offend he can get forgiveness from God. If this is an illness, then i think the only cure could come from God's spirit. What worries me is that a lot of these offenders are regular church going Christians...(so called).
Yes, IF he repents and IF he does not re-offend, then yes, he will be forgiven. The problem is that we too often try to "cover up" this sin....and that does not encourage those poor sick individuals to come to Jesus for help.

Are we ashamed that such things can happen in our church, or in our family? Well, of course we are, and rightly so...but if we are ashamed that it could happen, how much more ashamed should we be that we try to hide our shame?
God sees....and God knows our hearts....

thirdeyezero

Aug 27, 2015
Dave24 said:
But then God said not to even know that evil is, so what are you going to do.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
pom2014 said:
If we as subjects of the King cannot even fathom forgiveness after repentance and seeking help for ANY person; then how can we claim repentance for our murder of the King by our sins?

The whole of what the victory over death by Jesus means is now moot.

Camel's nose.
I'm curious, Pom...
Would you allow a "reformed" pedophile to be alone with your child?

Just wondering how far your love actually goes....

Zenguin

Sep 19, 2015
Colorado
I have bipolar disorder. Contrary to what many assume, it is not just "an emotional roller coaster." In fact, that is perhaps one of the worst metaphors I have seen for the illness of manic depression (bipolar is simply another name for the illness).

One aspect of manic depression is an "ideation." These ideations typically focus on homicidal or suicidal imagery or thoughts. Typically, I experience ideations during moments of stress. As such, the emotions I experience can easily be confused as a desire to carry out my thoughts, but it is my responsibility to control my actions and my thoughts. Now, just because an idea crosses my mind does not mean I have any desire to act on it, nor does it mean I have sinned in having the thought. However, if I continue to entertain the thought, I have given in to temptation and have therefore sinned.

Pedophilia and homosexuality are not much different in this regard. One may experience a desire for a particular gender or age, but it is the responsibility of a person to control their indulgence of such thoughts and, consequently, their actions. I once heard an interview someone did with a self-proclaimed pedophile. It should be clearly noted this particular pedophile only experienced desire, and had not acted on that desire physically. The pedophile explained their reasoning behind why they were a pedophile, but then dismissed the reasoning and said, "I am responsible for my choices and my thoughts." This person had taken the responsibility to undergo therapy and a process known as "chemical castration," a process that removes the function without sacrificing the anatomy. They continued to be attracted to underage people, but--through therapy--had set up their life so as to avoid temptation. No unsupervised Internet access. No roleplay with their spouse (who was aware of their pedophilia). A GPS tracking app on their spouse's cell phone, allowing the spouse to see where they were at a whim.

This person was obviously grieved by their condition, but had exercised personal responsibility. So it is with others: they may feel an impulse, but that impulse does not excuse action. I may have violent thoughts, but--through therapy, medication, and self-control--I rarely have violent urges, much less the intent to carry them out. I monitor myself, and I have a mentor who is very aware and very well educated on my condition. If ever I feel I am losing control, I can call him, and he will advise me as to the proper course of action. Likewise, my therapist helps me in the same way, even if he is not so readily available given his load of patients.

We are all hardwired differently, but we are all accountable to the same standard. We may not be able to help the thoughts or desires that cross our mind, but our minds can be reformed. It does not mean we will be cured of our "faulty wiring," but we can learn to work within it to have a relatively functional life. God can heal us through a miracle or a medication, but in many cases, we do not see the blessing in what we consider a curse. Manic depression may be my blessing, among other things, and I will use it as such.

Consider Mary, when an angel told her she was pregnant. "Mary, you're having a kid. He's the son of God. So yeah, you're going to be shunned for a time by your husband, society will think you're a slut, and then you've got several years of dealing with this kid who may or may not pull rank on you. You're going to give birth in something that is not a comfortable room, so you get a whole lot of pain without the pleasure of sex first. Oh, and you're going to be traveling a long distance while you've got a baby on board. It's a blessing."

Mary endured her blessing, only to see her son arrested illegally, beaten to a pulp, crucified, and stabbed in the side with a spear. We are to endure our blessings, however painful they may be. Ultimately, enduring our blessings lead to a greater joy. It is within our capability to practice personal responsibility and self-control. In short, pedophiles and other sexual deviants, according to the Scripture, can and should control their impulses, even if it means being resigned to a life of celibacy. I say this as a man with a disability (spina bifida) who is rather unlikely to be married, and is therefore to be celibate for life. Also, another feature of bipolar is hypersexuality, so celibacy is a very difficult road to travel. I don't like it, but I am content, and one day, I will love these blessings I have been given.

As Always,

Waddle On

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Barrd said:
Perhaps we ought to take our cure out to California....or introduce it to the Vatican......
LOL! Here is the address:

His Holiness, Pope Francis PP.
00120 Via del Pellegrino
Citta del Vaticano

It was the worst crisis in the history of the Church. 80% of the scandals did not involve pedophilia, but HOMOSEXUALITY., involving post-pubescent boys (teenagers). HOMOSEXUALS snuck into the seminaries during the sexual revolution in the '60s. The media does not want to offend the HOMOSEXUAL community so all scandals are called pedophilia.
A survey done by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), an institute at Georgetown University, shows how utterly absurd it is to maintain that the Catholic Church continues to have a problem with the issue of priestly sexual abuse. Of the nearly 40,000 priests in the United States, there were 34 allegations made by minors last year (32 priests, two deacons): six were deemed credible by law enforcement; (one is too many) 12 were either unfounded or unable to be proven; one was a “boundary violation”; and 15 are still being probed. Moreover, in every case brought to the attention of the bishops or heads of religious orders, the civil authorities were notified.(they called the cops).

Anyone who knows of any religious, or secular, organization that has less of a problem with the sexual abuse of minors these days should contact the Catholic League. We’d love to match numbers.
http://www.catholicleague.org/data-prove-no-sex-abuse-crisis-2/
Zenguin said:
I have bipolar disorder. Contrary to what many assume, it is not just "an emotional roller coaster." In fact, that is perhaps one of the worst metaphors I have seen for the illness of manic depression (bipolar is simply another name for the illness).

One aspect of manic depression is an "ideation." These ideations typically focus on homicidal or suicidal imagery or thoughts. Typically, I experience ideations during moments of stress. As such, the emotions I experience can easily be confused as a desire to carry out my thoughts, but it is my responsibility to control my actions and my thoughts. Now, just because an idea crosses my mind does not mean I have any desire to act on it, nor does it mean I have sinned in having the thought. However, if I continue to entertain the thought, I have given in to temptation and have therefore sinned.

Pedophilia and homosexuality are not much different in this regard. One may experience a desire for a particular gender or age, but it is the responsibility of a person to control their indulgence of such thoughts and, consequently, their actions. I once heard an interview someone did with a self-proclaimed pedophile. It should be clearly noted this particular pedophile only experienced desire, and had not acted on that desire physically. The pedophile explained their reasoning behind why they were a pedophile, but then dismissed the reasoning and said, "I am responsible for my choices and my thoughts." This person had taken the responsibility to undergo therapy and a process known as "chemical castration," a process that removes the function without sacrificing the anatomy. They continued to be attracted to underage people, but--through therapy--had set up their life so as to avoid temptation. No unsupervised Internet access. No roleplay with their spouse (who was aware of their pedophilia). A GPS tracking app on their spouse's cell phone, allowing the spouse to see where they were at a whim.

This person was obviously grieved by their condition, but had exercised personal responsibility. So it is with others: they may feel an impulse, but that impulse does not excuse action. I may have violent thoughts, but--through therapy, medication, and self-control--I rarely have violent urges, much less the intent to carry them out. I monitor myself, and I have a mentor who is very aware and very well educated on my condition. If ever I feel I am losing control, I can call him, and he will advise me as to the proper course of action. Likewise, my therapist helps me in the same way, even if he is not so readily available given his load of patients.
I salute you compassion for pedophiliacs. My attitude is less Christian than yours. Very few of them are responsible; There is no cure. Society can only force chemical castration on the ones that get caught. It's a problem because we can't lock them up for life, and we can't execute them. If repeat offenders were threatened with execution, there would be more motivation to act responsibly and get the necessary therapy.

We are all hardwired differently, but we are all accountable to the same standard. We may not be able to help the thoughts or desires that cross our mind, but our minds can be reformed. It does not mean we will be cured of our "faulty wiring," but we can learn to work within it to have a relatively functional life. God can heal us through a miracle or a medication, but in many cases, we do not see the blessing in what we consider a curse. Manic depression may be my blessing, among other things, and I will use it as such.

Consider Mary, when an angel told her she was pregnant. "Mary, you're having a kid. He's the son of God. So yeah, you're going to be shunned for a time by your husband, society will think you're a slut, and then you've got several years of dealing with this kid who may or may not pull rank on you. You're going to give birth in something that is not a comfortable room, so you get a whole lot of pain without the pleasure of sex first. Oh, and you're going to be traveling a long distance while you've got a baby on board. It's a blessing."

Mary endured her blessing, only to see her son arrested illegally, beaten to a pulp, crucified, and stabbed in the side with a spear. We are to endure our blessings, however painful they may be. Ultimately, enduring our blessings lead to a greater joy. It is within our capability to practice personal responsibility and self-control. In short, pedophiles and other sexual deviants, according to the Scripture, can and should control their impulses, even if it means being resigned to a life of celibacy. I say this as a man with a disability (spina bifida) who is rather unlikely to be married, and is therefore to be celibate for life. Also, another feature of bipolar is hypersexuality, so celibacy is a very difficult road to travel. I don't like it, but I am content, and one day, I will love these blessings I have been given.

As Always,

Waddle On
I have bipolar disorder too. I've learned a few things about suffering, although I can't complain, I am highly functional. You have profound insights into the sufferings/blessings of Mary. Luke 2:34-35 Who are the many? A sword will pierce her soul. That means an interior martyrdom united with her son.

Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34 - Jesus said, "if any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Jesus wants us to empty ourselves so that God can fill us. When we suffer, we can choose to seek consolation in God and become closer to Jesus.

Luke 9:23 - Jesus says we must take up this cross daily. He requires us to join our daily temporal sacrifices (pain, inconvenience, worry) with His eternal sacrifice.

Phil. 1:29 - for the sake of Christ we are not only to believe in Him but also to suffer for His sake. Growing in holiness requires more than having faith in God and accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. We must also willfully embrace the suffering that befalls us as part of God's plan. Thus, Christ does not want our faith alone, but our faith in action which includes faith in suffering.

Col. 1:24 - Paul rejoices in his sufferings and completes what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body. ... Is there something lacking in Christ's sufferings? Of course not. But because Jesus loves us so much, He allows us to participate in His redemptive suffering by leaving room in His mystical body for our own suffering. Our suffering, united with our Lord's suffering, furthers the work of His redemption.
Suffering: Scripture

Zenguin

Sep 19, 2015
Colorado
I would disagree on the point there is no cure. God is an Almighty God, and is able to transform us if we are open to it. I have known reformed pedophiles who no longer desire children, and the very idea of their former life disgusts them. There may not be a pill to transform the mind; there rarely (if ever) is. However, if we are open to God's transformation, He can do any work in us. For those seeking to avoid trouble in the interim, chemical castration is an option.

At the core of my philosophy is the idea that "all life is sacred." I have to believe anyone in any circumstance can be transformed, because there is a reasonable expectation the same can be done for me. Anyone can become a Christian, be renewed, and live a productive, healthy life. Anyone.

Reactions: Rita

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Zenguin said:
I would disagree on the point there is no cure. God is an Almighty God, and is able to transform us if we are open to it. I have known reformed pedophiles who no longer desire children, and the very idea of their former life disgusts them. There may not be a pill to transform the mind; there rarely (if ever) is. However, if we are open to God's transformation, He can do any work in us. For those seeking to avoid trouble in the interim, chemical castration is an option.

At the core of my philosophy is the idea that "all life is sacred." I have to believe anyone in any circumstance can be transformed, because there is a reasonable expectation the same can be done for me. Anyone can become a Christian, be renewed, and live a productive, healthy life. Anyone.
I stand corrected.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
kepha31 said:
LOL! Here is the address:

His Holiness, Pope Francis PP.
00120 Via del Pellegrino
Citta del Vaticano

It was the worst crisis in the history of the Church. 80% of the scandals did not involve pedophilia, but HOMOSEXUALITY., involving post-pubescent boys (teenagers). HOMOSEXUALS snuck into the seminaries during the sexual revolution in the '60s. The media does not want to offend the HOMOSEXUAL community so all scandals are called pedophilia.
A survey done by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), an institute at Georgetown University, shows how utterly absurd it is to maintain that the Catholic Church continues to have a problem with the issue of priestly sexual abuse. Of the nearly 40,000 priests in the United States, there were 34 allegations made by minors last year (32 priests, two deacons): six were deemed credible by law enforcement; (one is too many) 12 were either unfounded or unable to be proven; one was a “boundary violation”; and 15 are still being probed. Moreover, in every case brought to the attention of the bishops or heads of religious orders, the civil authorities were notified.(they called the cops).

Anyone who knows of any religious, or secular, organization that has less of a problem with the sexual abuse of minors these days should contact the Catholic League. We’d love to match numbers.
http://www.catholicleague.org/data-prove-no-sex-abuse-crisis-2
First of all, a homosexual priest sneaking boys in to have sex with them is still a sin, and if they are under 18, it is still considered pedophilia.
Why does the Catholic church not defrock homosexual priests? Is the Vatican not aware that homsexual sex is an abomination? The media may be afraid to offend the homosexual community...but surely the Vatican is immune to such "political correctness".

Too many times, it seems, some idiot religious leader will molest a child. No, it isn't just Catholics who have done this, and I have no idea of the numbers....as you say, even one is too many.
To me, the problem is when the church...any church, of any denomination...tries to cover up this great sin, which only encourages it, as too many have found to their cost.

80% of the cases involved homosexual priests having sex with teenagers? And you do not see this as a problem? Really?

Besides, I thought Catholic priests were supposed to take a vow of chastity. Aren't they supposed to be celibate? For homosexual Catholic priests who violate the law by luring teenage boys into their clutches, I would highly recommend the Alabama cure.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Zenguin said:

I totally agree with this, Zenquin.
Only God can actually provide a real cure for whatever sin ails us.
However, we must be open to God's working in our lives.

Believe me, His ultimate "cure" for unrepentant sin is going to be a whole lot worse than "The Alabama Cure" for pedophilia...

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The human brain is a loaded gun. Mental issues abound. Even if they outwardly appear as the most stable person they may have addiction issues, anxiety, depression, personality disorders. The list is large and often suppressed.

But just because you've been given a loaded gun by God doesn't mean you have to pull the trigger. This is the nature of sin. Its not that have an issue its that you act upon it and worse justify it so to appear as the upstanding citizen that you show the world.

So before we cast stones against the liar, the gay or even the paedophile; consider our own houses. The premarital sex, the unjust divorce, the unrighteous remarriage, the drunkenness, addictions and more. Even if they are in the past, even if forgiven; they were still apart of us.

All will come in filthy rags before The King.

yes and amen!!

Blues State

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has to take responsibility for their own sin . I think this sin should be dealt with harshly. They can reform themselves on the way to the gallows.

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do we "re-form" the mind of someone who becomes sexually aroused at the sight or thought of a child?

If my Malinois bites someone whom she perceived as a threat to me, there are city ordinances in some states that require her to be put down.

If a Pedophile who victimized numerous children gets out of prison, while they do have to register with local government as a sexual predator, and inform their neighbors, they're still entitled to live in our neighborhoods where our children are. And because they've paid their debt to society.
While still a Pedophile, now free in our community. And for as long as they live remain a threat to children.

The world is going crazy.

Reactions: JohnPaul

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just to note that many paedophiles were themselves abused as children. It might be appropriate to hate the sin, but love the sinner, and do what we can to restore them to a wholesome way of being.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Rita

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to note that many paedophiles were themselves abused as children. It might be appropriate to hate the sin, but love the sinner, and do what we can to restore them to a wholesome way of being.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I believe Pedophiles should be put to death, there is no curing them, once they are out again they'll commit the same heinous crime again.

The only way to cure a pedophile is to sentence him to death.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe Pedophiles should be put to death, there is no curing them, once they are out again they'll commit the same heinous crime again.

The only way to cure a pedophile is to sentence him to death.

I think you should leave judgement and punishment to those qualified in this life, and to God in the next.

Best wishes, 2RM.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you should leave judgement and punishment to those qualified in this life, and to God in the next.

Best wishes, 2RM.
If a person is a pedophile than I’m qualified to judge the scumbag.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if there were pedophiles who never offended and would seek help or accountability it would be nice. i cant picture anyone coming forward at first evil thought though.
i am not sure what is meant by generational curses. why would anyone be cursed to be a pedophile ? its unfair to those harmed :(

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if there were pedophiles who never offended and would seek help or accountability it would be nice. i cant picture anyone coming forward at first evil thought though.
i am not sure what is meant by generational curses. why would anyone be cursed to be a pedophile ? its unfair to those harmed :(
If he never offended than he wouldn’t be a pedophile, because he never would’ve touched a child.