Peter's Sermon On Pentecost

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Hello Pastor,

I respect your position as a man of God, and I ask your forgiveness in disagreeing with you. Christ was referring to St. Peter because He changed Simon's name to "rock." Peter means "Rock" in "Aramic. If Christ was only referring to St. Peter's confession, He did not have to change his name. According to Scripture:

Matthew 16:18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Christ never spoke Greek. He spoke Aramic. So, when Christ spoke to St. Peter, He was actually saying, "Thou art Cephas (Rock) and upon this cephas (rock) I will build my Church." Christ gave St. Peter and only St. Peter the keys to Heaven. Those keys symbolized "power and authority." Christ also told St. Peter and only St. Peter to take care of His entire flock (See John 21). The Church of Babylon, which St. Peter mentioned in his letter (1 Peter 5:13) was the Church that he established. It was the Roman Church. The Churches that St. Paul established are the Orthodox Churches today. Our Orthodox brothers can trace their lineage to the Apostle Paul, and we can trace our lineage to the Apostle Peter.

In Christ,
Selene
I see you are well versed in Roman Catholic Teachings but I must disagree, it was the Confession of Peter that is the foundation of the Church of Jesus Christ, not Peter. I know the Roman Catholic Church has taught what you are saying. The Roman Catholic Church would like to be thee church, but thee Church is found in Acts Chapter 2. I know the RC church was very powerful for centuries, and deliberatly kept it's people from interpreting the scriptures, until recently, there was a reason for that. To be honest with you I have a serious problem with the Roman Catholic Church, only because I love it's members, but I'm saddened by the deception of the high archeay of the church. When I was called to minister to many Roman Catholics and taught scriptures to them, many converted due to the deception which they read for themselves in the Gospel of Jesus Christ . I do not want to offend you, but I always say it like it is, So I'll leave it there , in the Love of Christ.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I see you are well versed in Roman Catholic Teachings but I must disagree, it was the Confession of Peter that is the foundation of the Church of Jesus Christ, not Peter. I know the Roman Catholic Church has taught what you are saying. The Roman Catholic Church would like to be thee church, but thee Church is found in Acts Chapter 2. I know the RC church was very powerful for centuries, and deliberatly kept it's people from interpreting the scriptures, until recently, there was a reason for that. To be honest with you I have a serious problem with the Roman Catholic Church, only because I love it's members, but I'm saddened by the deception of the high archeay of the church. When I was called to minister to many Roman Catholics and taught scriptures to them, many converted due to the deception which they read for themselves in the Gospel of Jesus Christ . I do not want to offend you, but I always say it like it is, So I'll leave it there , in the Love of Christ.

Hello Pastor,

With all due respect, sir, you misinterpret Sacred Scripture. The confession of St. Peter is NOT the foundation of the Church. The foundation of the Church is based on our Lord Jesus Christ because He is the Founder and the Head of our Church.

Pastor, to this day, a Catholic layperson like me is still not allowed to interpret Scripture. Only our bishops, priests, and deacons are allowed to do this. If the Catholic Church allows all layperson to interpret Scripture, then we would end up with more than 50,000 different churches. All Catholics in the West and Eastern Churches are united because of this. We are united in the teachings. St. Peter told us never to make any private interpretations of Scripture. It was the Church that compiled and canonized the books of the Bible through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and only the Church can interpret the Bible through the guidance of that same Holy Spirit. The Apostle Peter warned us not to make any private interpretations of Scripture, and we still follow this today.

2 Peter 1:19-21 And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation. For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost.

"No prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation"... ...This means that the scriptures are not to be expounded by any one's private judgment or private spirit, because every part of the holy scriptures were written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit, and declared as such by the Church; therefore they are not to be interpreted but by the Spirit of God, which He had left, and promised to remain with His Church to guide her in all truth to the end of the world (John 16:13 and Matthew 28:18-20). Some may tell us, that many of our divines interpret the scriptures: they may do so, but they do it always with a submission to the judgment of the Church, and not otherwise. (This is in accordance with the footnotes taken from the Douay-Rheims Bible.) God bless!

In Christ,
Selene

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I would consider this last post as a confirmation and a conclusion. The two-fold upstanding that makes for error and corruption within the Body seldom takes on a permanent nature, grace and mercy triumphing over the dark things of the adversary. The power of God is manifested by the deliberate and relentless stand for truth the sons of God exhibit. There are, however, things that are irreconcilable and must be tolerated. May God grant us the will and the strength to endure the assault of the Adversary against the ecclesia of Christ, and not become enmeshed in the distractions and subversions that make shipwreck the faith of the true believers in the Cross of Calvary.

fivesense