Peter's sermon on Pentecost

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Peter's sermon on Pentecost:(was it to the Jews, the Gentiles, or both?)Acts 2:31-38 (NKJV)31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. 34 "For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:'The Lord said to my Lord,'Sit at My right hand, 35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool."' In the above Peter is testifying to the Jews that Jesus is the promised Christ. 36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Peter tells the Jews they have crucified the Lord of Glory. The Jews wanted to know what they could do to atone """for crucifying Jesus."""38 ""THEN"" Peter said to “”THEM,”” "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.Note: Verse 38 is a direct answer to the question in verse 37. The Jews were to repent of rejecting Jesus and having Him crucified. ---NOTE: It was not to repent of sins of the flesh. Nowhere in the context have sins of the flesh been mentioned.The Jews were to fulfill a Jewish ritual of water cleansing (water baptism), a ritual under the Law of Moses, and at the same time they were to 'acknowledge' Jesus as the Christ by performing this ritual (baptism) in His name.39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."Peter's sermon included verse 39 which was taken from Joel 2:28-29 and was about the ""promise of the Holy Spirit"" that was to be given to the Jews. Verse 39 was to assure the Jews that their sin of rejecting Jesus would be forgiven and that they would also be given the Holy Spirit (see verse 38).Joel 2:28-3:1Although it was the Gentiles that actually killed Jesus they did it because the Jews insisted. The Gentiles did not need to repent for what the Jews did. Jesus was not sent to the Gentiles therefore the Gentiles could not reject Him. (Matt 10:5-7) (Matt 15:23-24) (Rom 15:8)Now I know that Peter's sermon has been used as a blanket sermon about repenting and being water baptized. It has become a “FORMULA” to be repeated in order to be saved. I also know that some will reject this writing. But I don't think Peter's sermon is appropriate or valid for this age of grace and those that use it are preaching a sermon that was to the Jews, as if it also applies to the Gentiles. IMHO, that is a blatant falsehood because it is not the truth.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The pentecost message was preached to Jews, but that is not the only occasion. There is a theme of repentance and baptism thoroughout the new testament.Acts 3:19; 8:22; 17:30 says all men everywhere.Acts 26:20 talks about gentiles repenting.Matt. 9:13, Mark 2:17 and Luke 5:32 talks about calling sinners, not Jews specifically.Luke 15:7 talks about rejoicing over one sinner who repents.Luke 24:47 talks about repentance preached to all nations. Nations means every ethnic group.Acts 11:18 talks about God granting gentiles repentance unto life.Acts 20:21 says "testifying to both jews and greeks" repentance towards God.Acts 20:26 says "and to the gentiles that they should repent."2 Peter 3:9 talks about all should come to repentance.Romans 6:4 and Col. 2:12 says 'we are buried with him by baptism into death."Acts 8:12 & 16 speaks of Samaritans being baptised.Acts 8:38 an Ethiopean baptised.Acts 10:47 Roman Cornelius baptised.Acts 16:15 Phillipian Lydia baptisedActs 16:33 Jailer baptisedActs 18:8 Corinthians baptisedActs 19:5 Ephesians baptisedThe day of pentecost was the foundation of the church in accordance to Jesus command to go into all the world and Jerusalem was to be the first port of call, but it didn't stop there as we can see from the scriptures I have listed. Whether you use the pentecost sermon or others, there is no doubt the message was very simple and always the same. Repent and be baptised for the remission of your sin, to the jew and the gentile. And note that they were baptised in every case in the name of Jesus not in the name of the father, son and holy spirit. Those three are not names they are titles.