Philippians 3:1-21

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apostle Paul writing to the people of and around Philippians areas, it was written in the Early Ads.

“Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things again is no trouble to me, and it is a safeguard for you.

Paul writes to inform them, that he does not mind sharing his knowledge about the Lord again with them and it is for them to have hope and find refuge in the truth of the death, burial, resurrection of Christ and bearing with the holy spirit, trusting in God first and putting God first in every thing.

Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh.

Paul explains to them to be careful if anyone is trying to make you follow their own way and not the way of Christ. Circumcising is used in this case for those who causing division over one issue or another and not putting their total trust and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ: for those who are believers have the spirit and depend on the Lord to help you prevail because we ourselves can not to do it.

If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

Paul explains how he is had been basically perfect in the law. However he was a persecutor of the church and putting people down, even being part of the Tribe of Benjamin.

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things,

Paul goes on to further explaining; but whatever things were gain to Paul, those things I have counted as a loss for the sake of Christ. (Giving up former ways of persecution to now mercy and righteousness founded in Christ and resting in God and Jesus for comfort in our souls). The old things did not matter as much as the surpassing value of knowing Christ a Jesus my Lord, whom (Paul) I have suffered the loss of all things.

and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ,

Paul founds all things that had been loss as rubbish so that Paul may gain Christ, and may be found in Jesus, not having a righteousness of (Paul own derived from the Law.

But that which is through faith in Christ. (Your righteousness is being in Jesus justified by grace through faith).

the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

The righteousness which comes from God on the basis of Faith, that I may know Jesus and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings and be conformed to his death

Paul himself says

in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

In order that He May attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

Paul suggest he has not obtained this resurrection from the dead yet, or that he is perfect but Paul presses on so that He May lay hold of that for which also Paul was laid hold of by Christ. (Eternal life?)

Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul suggest he has not laid hold of it yet; but one thing Paul does is forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.

Because of all these things, as many as are mature, have this attitude; to keep pressing forward to the God and May hold of Christ, and obtains resurrection from the dead.

Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.

Therefore join in following Paul’s example of love and edification and support, to each other and observe who walk according to the patter you have in us, meaning Paul and the others with him. Who where always praying for these people.

For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things.

Paul talks about how some people walk, those who are enemies of the cross of Christ.

Whose end is destruction whose god is their appetite; and whose glory is their Shame (The enemies of the Cross who believe in the god which is for their stomaches to be fed, and whose glory is in their shame who set their mind in earthly things.

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.”

Paul goes on to say that our our Citizenship is in heaven from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transformed the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to himself.

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:1-21‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬
Philippians 3:1-21 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things again is no trouble to me, and it is a safeguard for you. Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circum | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thankful to have went through this and sharing maybe it helped someone.

Reactions: farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dogs are the jews
I do not believe so!

This woman coming to Jesus for help was called a dog because she was Not a Jew but a Canaanite, a gentle heathen. Jesus called her a dog and she agreed:

Mt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mt 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
Mt 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.
Mt 15:27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
Mt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mt 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.
Mt 15:27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dogs are the jews

Not true at all! But then, I guess it 'fits' with replacement theology that you stated you believe.

In the 23 verses in the KJV that use the term: dogs, NONE of them are in reference to any people, Jew or Gentile, in any form. All references to dogs are generally negative in their tone likely due to their generally NOT being a family pet back then and were wild scavengers of the day. Puerto Rico is a good example of 'wild' dogs that scavenge for everything they can eat to stay alive.

On my two trips there, I don't recall seeing any dogs on leashes or in cars. They were all roaming the streets and everywhere else looking for food. On the beach, I managed to entice one dog to come within 2-3 feet of me when I offered a piece of my sandwich. I had to toss it to him as he wouldn't come any closer.

For your reference, here's all the references to dogs -

Exodus 22:31 And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.
1 Kings 14:11 Him that dieth of Jeroboam in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat: for the LORD hath spoken it.
1 Kings 16:4 Him that dieth of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth of his in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat.
1 Kings 21:19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
1 Kings 21:23 And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.
1 Kings 21:24 Him that dieth of Ahab in the city the dogs shall eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat.
1 Kings 22:38 And one washed the chariot in the pool of Samaria; and the dogs licked up his blood; and they washed his armour; according unto the word of the LORD which he spake.
2 Kings 9:10 And the dogs shall eat Jezebel in the portion of Jezreel, and there shall be none to bury her. And he opened the door, and fled.
2 Kings 9:36 Wherefore they came again, and told him. And he said, This is the word of the LORD, which he spake by his servant Elijah the Tishbite, saying, In the portion of Jezreel shall dogs eat the flesh of Jezebel:
Job 30:1 But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock.
Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalm 68:23 That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same.
Isaiah 56:10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Isaiah 56:11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
Jeremiah 15:3 And I will appoint over them four kinds, saith the LORD: the sword to slay, and the dogs to tear, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the earth, to devour and destroy.
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Matthew 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
Matthew 15:27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
Mark 7:28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.
Luke 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
Philippians3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe so!

This woman coming to Jesus for help was called a dog because she was Not a Jew but a Canaanite, a gentle heathen. Jesus called her a dog and she agreed:

Yes you right but that has been reversed
The Jews were children
Gentiles we’re the dogs

but now with Christ and the new covenant the gentiles or Christians are children and the Jews are dogs see gal 4

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true at all! But then, I guess it 'fits' with replacement theology that you stated you believe.

In the 23 verses in the KJV that use the term: dogs, NONE of them are in reference to any people, Jew or Gentile, in any form. All references to dogs are generally negative in their tone likely due to their generally NOT being a family pet back then and were wild scavengers of the day. Puerto Rico is a good example of 'wild' dogs that scavenge for everything they can eat to stay alive.

On my two trips there, I don't recall seeing any dogs on leashes or in cars. They were all roaming the streets and everywhere else looking for food. On the beach, I managed to entice one dog to come within 2-3 feet of me when I offered a piece of my sandwich. I had to toss it to him as he wouldn't come any closer.

For your reference, here's all the references to dogs -

Exodus 22:31 And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.
1 Kings 14:11 Him that dieth of Jeroboam in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat: for the LORD hath spoken it.
1 Kings 16:4 Him that dieth of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth of his in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat.
1 Kings 21:19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
1 Kings 21:23 And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.
1 Kings 21:24 Him that dieth of Ahab in the city the dogs shall eat; and him that dieth in the field shall the fowls of the air eat.
1 Kings 22:38 And one washed the chariot in the pool of Samaria; and the dogs licked up his blood; and they washed his armour; according unto the word of the LORD which he spake.
2 Kings 9:10 And the dogs shall eat Jezebel in the portion of Jezreel, and there shall be none to bury her. And he opened the door, and fled.
2 Kings 9:36 Wherefore they came again, and told him. And he said, This is the word of the LORD, which he spake by his servant Elijah the Tishbite, saying, In the portion of Jezreel shall dogs eat the flesh of Jezebel:
Job 30:1 But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock.
Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalm 68:23 That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same.
Isaiah 56:10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Isaiah 56:11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
Jeremiah 15:3 And I will appoint over them four kinds, saith the LORD: the sword to slay, and the dogs to tear, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the earth, to devour and destroy.
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Matthew 15:26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
Matthew 15:27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
Mark 7:27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.
Mark 7:28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.
Luke 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
Philippians3:2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

see #9

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews were children
Gentiles we’re the dogs

but now with Christ and the new covenant the gentiles or Christians are children and the Jews are dogs see gal 4

And where in Galatians 4 are the Jews referred to as or even suggested to be dogs?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And where in Galatians 4 are the Jews referred to as or even suggested to be dogs?

Christians in holy mother church are the children the free woman

the Jews are the dogs of the bond woman

so they are called dogs

Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

they are dogs cos they rejected thier own salvation and crucified thier own savior

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews were children
Gentiles we’re the dogs

What I read in Galatians 4 does not say that exactly. It speaks of the two sons of Abraham: one the son of a bondwoman [Ishmael born to Hagar] and the other the son of a freewoman [Isaac born to Sarah]. It speaks of this being an allegory of the two covenants, one from Mt Sinai and the other of Jerusalem, the free mother of us all.

No dogs there!

Both sons in the allegory had a covenant with God though of course the second one was a better covenant.

We are now the children of the promise [like unto Isaac], but those who partook of or were under the earlier covenant were not dogs... not if they were serious participants/believers in accord with that Covenant!

The dogs were the heathen, then, or unbelievers. now.

The Canaanitish woman came to Jesus as a heathen. Was she really a complete heathen or unbeliever when she spoke those words that touched his heart? When the supposed dog [the woman] began eating the crumbs from the Master's table, was she not consuming the very Word of God [listen to and trusting in Jesus, the Messiah]? Was she not then being transformed from dog to follower of Christ, or Christian?

I believe that dogs are heathen, which are gentiles. Most of us here on this forum may have started out like that, but having met the Master and having eaten his flesh and having drunk his blood have we not been changed? To God, we are no longer gentiles [heathenistic unbelievers] if we really are followers of His Son, Jesus.

Some natural Jews certainly would be dogs which would mean they are heathen or gentile spiritually. However, many of the first Christians were Jews. They underwent a change! They moved in effect from the old covenant to the new better one, did they not?

Christians are not dogs and even though they have been gentiles, once they have become followers of Christ [Christians]. They would no longer be gentiles or heathen or dogs [spiritually].

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I read in Galatians 4 does not say that exactly. It speaks of the two sons of Abraham: one the son of a bondwoman [Ishmael born to Hagar] and the other the son of a freewoman [Isaac born to Sarah]. It speaks of this being an allegory of the two covenants, one from Mt Sinai and the other of Jerusalem, the free mother of us all.

No dogs there!

Both sons in the allegory had a covenant with God though of course the second one was a better covenant.

We are now the children of the promise [like unto Isaac], but those who partook of or were under the earlier covenant were not dogs... not if they were serious participants/believers in accord with that Covenant!

The dogs were the heathen, then, or unbelievers. now.

The Canaanitish woman came to Jesus as a heathen. Was she really a complete heathen or unbeliever when she spoke those words that touched his heart? When the supposed dog [the woman] began eating the crumbs from the Master's table, was she not consuming the very Word of God [listen to and trusting in Jesus, the Messiah]? Was she not then being transformed from dog to follower of Christ, or Christian?

I believe that dogs are heathen, which are gentiles. Most of us here on this forum may have started out like that, but having met the Master and having eaten his flesh and having drunk his blood have we not been changed? To God, we are no longer gentiles [heathenistic unbelievers] if we really are followers of His Son, Jesus.

Some natural Jews certainly would be dogs which would mean they are heathen or gentile spiritually. However, many of the first Christians were Jews. They underwent a change! They moved in effect from the old covenant to the new better one, did they not?

Christians are not dogs and even though they have been gentiles, once they have become followers of Christ [Christians]. They would no longer be gentiles or heathen or dogs [spiritually].

follow the agreement

the children are of the free woman
The dogs of the bond

the Jews are of the bond woman therefore the dogs

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
follow the agreement

the children are of the free woman
The dogs of the bond

the Jews are of the bond woman therefore the dogs
I must disagree. Look at the shades as well as the allegory. Ishmael had a lessor blessing, but blessing it was... not a curse.

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year." Gen 17:20-24

See here the dogs:

"His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter." Isaiah 56:10-11

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No dogs there!

That's correct, Lol.

Saying the Jews are "the dogs" in Galatians 4, though the expression is never used there, is to apply this term to the apostle Paul and every Christian Jew in the early church, for earlier in the Chapter Paul stated concerning himself and them:

4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons... 28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. (Galatians 4:4-5, 28)

The concept that the Old Covenant was given to the Jews exclusively and the New to Gentiles exclusively turns this passage into racism, and God Himself into a racist, first in favor of the Jews only (as if the Gentiles could never receive the Old covenant) and then opposed to the Jews in favoring the Gentiles instead, as if the Jews could not take part on the New.

The Catholics adopt this sort of position because they teach Israel no longer has a role in God's end-time plan, but this is patently false. God is still saving Jews and will all the more so as we draw closer to the end. They were the first to partake of BOTH covenants, and they will be the last to as well.