Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Probably not...they both enjoy their independence and if I went along I may be too opinionated for them on which one they chose to get.
@Heart2Soul Oh I see; you already had quite strong ideas about how they should best be tattooed. Best then to have let them express their adulthood in this way entirely on their own, then; there's certainly a very strong sense of a rite of passage when they do it first at that age...

It seems anyway that the scope for faith based tattoo designs is really growing all the time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. ..

Have I thought about getting more tattooed? Sure. But I don't feel as compelled as I did. How about a Christian themed tattoo? Yea... Thought about it and have a great idea for one. But its not going to increase my spirituality.

.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor! So we don't look down on it, nor do we celebrate it...
@FHII It's simply so mainstream ...

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pathfinder7 PS: Thanks for your poll response. I see you are slightly skeptical/undecided about whether witness ink opportunities are increasing, which is fine.

Maybe anyway you saw FHII's post, above, which shows how widespread it is:
FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. ..

Have I thought about getting more tattooed? Sure. But I don't feel as compelled as I did. How about a Christian themed tattoo? Yea... Thought about it and have a great idea for one. But its not going to increase my spirituality.

.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor! So we don't look down on it, nor do we celebrate it...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
don't think my mum was shocked
@Josho I doubt it, either, because although it used to be very much a man thing decades back, yet already for a very long whole (probably since you were in infancy) it's been so well established for women as well as men to do it, that your mom was probably not surprised when your sister did it. Above, Rita said
it was done 13 years ago
which would probably be when you were still a very young boy; for a long time now it's been mainstreaming for both genders to do it. Now it seems to have become a matter of fact, matter of course preference that so many ppl pursue.

This is also why so many Christians seem, instead of fighting the medium, embrace it instead for faith based designs, which often prove effective in witness conversations.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pathfinder7 So he wasn't just being completely cautioning and negative about the idea of a tattoo?
He has been involved in 'outreach ministry to the people'..*Most church establishments do not have much interest.. *I assume you know what I mean.
- for many years..
He was encountering more tattoos people..in his outreach ministry.
- That is why he did some research/study on tattoos.
---
As said before, the session was balanced.- not much negative/critical.
It was learning experience..about tattoos.
--
It was some time ago..
- I do not remember in detail.
- Especially, on many slides/pictures of tattoos! ..we discussed.
It was fun session.. Maybe one of the best at the conference!

Blessings,
---
Question:
If he had tattoos, more effective in his outreach ministry?

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@2 Chr. 34:19 Do you in any case somewhat understand the mindset - if no longer the wish - of those who are inclined to acquire a tattoo (including faith based)?
Yes I do understand...but for me it boiled down to attention seeking-erm, faith based? Like I said, a T-shirt would work (or just talking to people)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I do understand...but for me it boiled down to attention seeking-erm, faith based? Like I said, a T-shirt would work (or just talking to people)
@2 Chr. 34:19 Interesting! because the young lady that my wife and I talked to who had the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area, seemed a rather modest and shy person; she said that it was her favorite verse of Scripture. I didn't get the impression from here that she was attention-seeking, apart from having a wholesome wish to comment what the Scripture says.

But different people have different attitudes. I think when it comes to something like tattoos, there is no 'one size fits all' interpretations for their motivation. :)

Does this make any sense?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
the session was balanced.- not much negative/critical.
It was learning experience..about tattoos.
--
It was some time ago..
- I do not remember in detail.
- Especially, on many slides/pictures of tattoos! ..we disussed.
It was fun session.. Maybe one of the best at the conference!
@Pathfinder7 Seems like you do agree that such sessions are v. useful to raise awareness of the topic?

(Plus how the artwork can be used to convey a faith message.)

Reactions: Pathfinder7