Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a t shirt with scripture quote is just as effective[/QUOTE]

Yes! Good !
and doesn't violate/ defile God's Temple !

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
a t shirt with scripture quote is just as effective[/QUOTE]
@2 Chr. 34:19 Oh I know, indeed. :)

I guess a comparable idea is permanent eyeliner, for example (which is a form of tattooing); it's often done in order to save having to keep putting it on. All well within the bounds of modesty. Same really with a Bible ref. tattoo, I suppose. In the end some Christians have the strong urge to use the ink medium for witness; other's don't. Again, all well withing the bounds of modesty.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adultery and gay marriage is a comparable idea to tats.
They used to be known as ungodly, and became 'approved' more and more in practice and in speech, in churches!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even in churches
Yes, Wickedness today is approved even in churches, and forums.

Some church (and maybe forum ) members are even making money with their practice, or promoting others who do make money from them, or approving of others making money from all sorts of practices once known as wrong.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Even in churches
@2 Chr. 34:19 I do find some linkages hard to see, especially if one is talking about the many Christians who are using Bible verse designs to witness. For example, if a preacher's son or daughter, as a keen young Christian, has John 3.16 inked on their wrist, it's hard to say they should be immediately excommunicated for supposed adultery; this would be way off.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@2 Chr. 34:19 I do find some linkages hard to see, especially if one is talking about the many Christians who are using Bible verse designs to witness. For example, if a preacher's son or daughter, as a keen young Christian, has John 3.16 inked on their wrist, it's hard to say they should be immediately excommunicated for supposed adultery; this would be way off.
And so when a person knows the Lord via regular communication, might there not be a problem with choosing to witness via this inking process rather than as led by the Holy Spirit? Without the Holy Spirit, we are blind, are we not, to God and the things of God?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And so when a person knows the Lord via regular communication, might there not be a problem with choosing to witness via this inking process rather than as led by the Holy Spirit? Without the Holy Spirit, we are blind, are we not, to God and the things of God?
@amadeus
Interesting question, but presumably you are not contemplating wanting to excommunicate every Christian who has a faith tattoo design -which is the general idea to which your post replied to?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus
Interesting question, but presumably you are not contemplating wanting to excommunicate every Christian who has a faith tattoo design -which is the general idea to which your post replied to?
I guess I was off on a tangent here considering the situation for some who are supposed have the Holy Spirit within but who choose too often to follow their own head instead of the Head, which is Jesus. We cannot change our past, however filthy it may have been. Worrying about scars on our bodies which were received when did even really know that there was a Holy Ghost would be a waste of time. But... once we have received the Holy Spirit, should we not always be wanting to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit? How often do you believe that when consulted, Jesus would advise anyone to purposely get any kind of a tatoo?

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Rom 8:13-14

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess I was off on a tangent here considering the situation for some who are supposed have the Holy Spirit within but who choose too often to follow their own head instead of the Head, which is Jesus. We cannot change our past, however filthy it may have been. Worrying about scars on our bodies which were received when did even really know that there was a Holy Ghost would be a waste of time. But... once we have received the Holy Spirit, should we not always be wanting to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit? How often do you believe that when consulted, Jesus would advise anyone to purposely get any kind of a tatoo?

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Rom 8:13-14
@amadeus Well, some Christians would look at it from the angle of a having a design in for instance Spirit-inspired wording, for witness.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus Well, some Christians would look at it from the angle of a having a design in for instance Spirit-inspired wording, for witness.
Yes, they look, instead looking to Him who is supposed to be leading. God has allowed this for a while... but...

"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Acts 17:30

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@VictoryinJesus

While if you can cut down or even quit cigarettes altogether, great! (and ppl have indeed found that vaping helps a great deal the process of cutting down and even quitting) yet a very good thing to keep coming back to and constantly remembering for you, as a smoking woman, is that you are an adult woman and no one should ever guilt-manipulate you. Huge numbers of adult women happen to smoke. Whether you smoke, whether you cut down or whether you quit: you are an adult woman, period.

Same for your daughter, really, as a vaping woman. No longer a little girl, she's an adult woman. Same, really, with what you said in the past about her being tattooed. It's manifestly a mainstream fact that huge numbers of women happen to be tattooed (and the fact is also that so often the chosen inkings - injectings sought as adults - are in faith or family designs). For parents it can sometimes be hard to "let go" of the little girl that once was, but the plain fact is that, as regards smoking women, vaping women and tattooed women, they are adults. Whether she has tattoos, covers them, gets them changed or even wants more, she is an adult woman, period.

Probably the best thing for smoking women, vaping women, tattooed women (etc.) is — whatever else — as adults, simply to be matter of fact about it.

(Copied from the current vaping thread, where it is also relevant.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One of the churches I go to has three quite elderly women, all widows, who recently went out and got themselves tattoos. They all got them on their ankles ... There was no doubt they were all first tattoos. All three of them went out and got them together.

@shnarkle Well, it's mainstream now. Seems like they all simply figured accurately that it's a mainstream thing to do.

(Hence also among many Christians the perceived scope for faith based testimony ink designs.)

cc @VictoryinJesus @Waiting on him Re. Shnarkle's comment, above, when family members do it, it's good just to remember just how mainstream it is now.

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower Hope your two little ones are doing well! (Keep praying for them; I'm sure you do...)

So after your first child you got inked up in honor of it; so how are plans for the next inking?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Naomi25 Thanks for the 'like'!

At 18 - the age you mentioned - scheduling the parlor injecting session has become such a mainstream rite of passage.

It really is good when they think long and hard about not rushing into marriage - and this wise hesitation seems indeed what your daughter is doing, from what you said.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot ... they had their tattoos before I ever got mine.
@MetalMike Yes, there's such compelling evidence that doing it is so thoroughly mainstream now.

It maybe shows also why so many Christians want to use the medium to express a faith based design: doing it is proven so effective in personal witness conversations.

(While years ago it was mainly men that got tattooed, if at all, yet now it's so mainstream and widespread that within a family often it's the women for whom the idea becomes compelling for them to take the initiative to do it.)