Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I liked the voting option which posed the following: - "Be ready to use tattoos in general to have witness conversations."

Everybody can do that without being disfigured by having a tattoo, even if the tattoo is a favourite Bible verse.

God has clearly said that He will write all of His statute on the flesh of our hearts such that they clearly shine through us to illuminate the world around us.

As such, I wonder what the motive is of the person(s) on a "Christian" forum who would agitate for Christians to get tattooed so that they can witness Christ to others.

A person who has got a tattoo is usually motivated to get tattooed to fulfil an emotional need that they have.

The thing is that Christ looks past the tattoo that a person has and accepts them for who they are in Him when they repent of their sins and accept and believe in Him. The person leading a tattooed person to Christ does not have to have a tattoo to do just that. All they have to do is show the other person how "Christ" has fulfilled all of their needs such that they can be secure in the Personhood of Christ.

I do not have to have a tattoo inked onto me of a Bible verse to be secure in Christ.

Does anyone else need to get Tattooed to become secure in Christ?

Shalom

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I had one I think I'd go for something like this. The empty cross with the flower symbolising the beauty of new birth clinging to the cross.

OIP.IelDhIgy0m_pTa4SmA0nHgHaKJ
@Pearl That's a really nice, well thought out tattoo design, isn't it?

( :) Whether it just remains a design or is actually done.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl PS: Ppl do use numbing cream; tattoo parlors can advise; in the end it depends on how strongly the person wants to do it, really.

Although in some areas it's apparently getting really rather customary for more mature ladies to do it, it depends a great deal on the area, really and on how strongly the person wants to do it, of course.

' "...Most of my clients are in the older bracket," Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. "We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos." Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo ... everyone in the .. clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do'
Many Women Get Tattoos Post 50 ? And Don't Regret It Later huffington post

So it depends such a lot on the person and on the area, really.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OIP.9Sg46YrYMasaqXrZOaa9DQHaKB
This is pretty, and I used to wear transfers like this one time.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
OIP.9Sg46YrYMasaqXrZOaa9DQHaKB
This is pretty, and I used to wear transfers like this one time.
Yes, @Pearl ink on skin can be really pretty. I agree.

Whether it's applied and pressed on, or inked in permanently.

I liked this video; it can be a nice experience for those who choose it. I'm sure your daughter has told you about what it was like. I liked video's tune, too...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, we should all absolutely be ready to answer regarding the hope that is in us, even if it was brought up by means of our tattoos.
@Rudometkin It used to be a man thing but now so many young women also believe doing it is an enhancement.

Since it IS so widespread now, this is also why so many younger Christians now choose to use the medium for expressing heartfelt Bible verses and references in witness; as with the young lady that I mentioned whom my wife and I talked to with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area.

It's become something that young women especially do as well as men, and it's become something that many young Christians do for what will likely be a commented on witness means.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl You have clearly long developed a very nice taste in skin art (by whatever actual method), haven't you?

It's very colourful.
Yes. Or a butterfly might be nice too, to remind me that I was once a caterpillar.
OIP.QFnAZnfQ1FQmM3BWZpNMkQHaKX

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes. Or a butterfly might be nice too, to remind me that I was once a caterpillar.
OIP.QFnAZnfQ1FQmM3BWZpNMkQHaKX
@Pearl That's lovely, too. (And I'm sure there are Bible verses for the theme of 'new life'.)

I think your daughter as a tattooed lady has probably gotten her taste in artwork from you (even though between both of you she is the one that actually did it). You guys would probably both enjoy working/temping a bit at a tattoo parlor reception, etc.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My Dreams said:
During my moms generation getting tattoo s...

@My Dreams Hoping your mother is being strengthened.

In the West many Christian young ppl get faith based tattoos around when they turn 18. Especially young Christian women.

Seems like in India it is a very long established tradition for women to do it. In the West it used to be mainly a man thing, years ago, but not any more.