Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I did not read the whole thread, so somebody might have mentioned it.
Scripture mentions tattoos. And rejects it.

I believe it's only mentioned once:
It’s found in the Old Testament in Leviticus 19.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Triumph1300 My wife and I talked with a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go to the parlor and have it done.

Some ppl see tattoo witness as an outworking of the Gospel as the rule of the believer's life; rather than being like Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Michiah-Imla said:
I have seen many more but never engaged in conversation with them. Interesting topic though.
@Michiah-Imla So topical, I guess; since they are so widespread, a lot of Christians use ink as a witness tool; and faith based designs are proven effective in getting conversations going.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Triumph1300 My wife and I talked with a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go to the parlor and have it done.

Some ppl see tattoo witness as an outworking of the Gospel as the rule of the believer's life; rather than being like Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

We should consider this:

When God talked to the Israelites about posting the law on their door posts and gates, why didn’t He tell them to mark their bodies with scriptures and images?

Deuteronomy 6:8-9

“And thou shalt bind them [commandments] for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.”

And also, God hates images:

"Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the LORD thy God hateth." (Deuteronomy 16:22)

And this extends to even making an image of God himself:

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:" (Exodus 20:4)

And God forbids markings on the body:

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:28)

It seems that taking all these scriptures into account would point to tattoos being against scripture principles.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We should consider this:

When God talked to the Israelites about posting the law on their door posts and gates, why didn’t He tell them to mark their bodies with scriptures and images?

Deuteronomy 6:8-9

“And thou shalt bind them [commandments] for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.”

And also, God hates images:

"Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the LORD thy God hateth." (Deuteronomy 16:22)

And this extends to even making an image of God himself:

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:" (Exodus 20:4)

And God forbids markings on the body:

"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:28)

It seems that taking all these scriptures into account would point to tattoos being against scripture principles.
@Michiah-Imla In the strictest sense now, are New Testament believers under the law, rather than under grace, using witness means?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Some ppl avoid it altogether, while for others having it done seems so nice that they just do it, right?
I might admire certain tattoos but I would never get one doe because the bible tells us not to.

Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not . . . . put tattoo marks on yourselves.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I might admire certain tattoos but I would never get one doe because the bible tells us not to.

Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not . . . . put tattoo marks on yourselves.
@Pearl Thanks for your comment! Some Christians would say that since we are not under the law still, using a witness means such as a faith based tattoo is something that New Testament believers under grace might do.

(In the previous Leviticus verse, it also seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave?)

But you must know best for you.