Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Thanks for your comment! Some Christians would say that since we are not under the law still, using a witness means such as a faith based tattoo is something that New Testament believers under grace might do.

(In the previous Leviticus verse, it also seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave?)

But you must know best for you.
Yeas, I read that too, but even though I cut my hair I wouldn't have a tattoo.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeas, I read that too, but even though I cut my hair I wouldn't have a tattoo.
@Pearl You certainly know best for you!

A lot of ladies do think their haircuts and tattoos are nice, anyway; and perfectly modest, too...

62031b90bb0a3d09a4c7a578df52159b.jpg
pinterest

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Michiah-Imla In the strictest sense now, are New Testament believers under the law, rather than under grace, using witness means?

2 Timothy 3:15-16

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”

With this is mind...

A Christian promoting and encouraging Tattoos would be against what scripture teaches regards printing marks and images on one’s body.

Having received no wisdom or instruction from the word of God.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
2 Timothy 3:15-16

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”

With this is mind...

A Christian promoting and encouraging Tattoos would be against what scripture teaches regards printing marks and images on one’s body.

Having received no wisdom or instruction from the word of God.
Are we still under the law as per Hebrews 7.12 and 7.19? and on matters not of direct doctrinal import do believers have Christian liberty as per Romans 14?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we still under the law as per Hebrews 7.12 and 7.19? and on matters not of direct doctrinal import do believers have Christian liberty as per Romans 14?

We are not under the law.

But we establish the law (Romans 3:31).

And we are not to use our liberty for a cloke of maliciousness (1 Peter 2:16).

All things mentioned in Romans 14 can be effectively abstained from to avoid offending a weaker brother. But a tattoo is permanent and in some cases not able to be hidden from the weaker brethren.

And I would use caution in applying the Romans 14 principles so liberally as to include tattoos; after all, do I have liberty to fornicate as long as I hide from the weaker brethren?

Of course not.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
None! I am not for tattoos, but I do not oppose others getting them if they are tasteful and not so widespread as to attract undue attention to self.
@Ronald Nolette Thanks for your comment. It's so widespread now. As posters have said:

FHII:

Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

GodsGrace:

almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

This being the case, many Christians use faith based designs which are effective in witness conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor, which used to be a place that almost exclusively men used, but this has changed enormously.

I guess your family doesn't use it, though.

Did you see/ vote in the poll, above?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette Thanks for your comment. It's so widespread now. As posters have said:

FHII:

GodsGrace:

This being the case, many Christians use faith based designs which are effective in witness conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor, which used to be a place that almost exclusively men used, but this has changed enormously.

I guess your family doesn't use it, though.

Did you see/ vote in the poll, above?

Hey if you minister to the crowd that wears tattoos, you probably should have one or two to like Paul said when I am in rome I am like a roman so I may win one or two. It is not for me, but I say God bless those who have the burden for those folks!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hey if you minister to the crowd that wears tattoos, you probably should have one or two to like Paul said when I am in rome I am like a roman so I may win one or two. It is not for me, but I say God bless those who have the burden for those folks!
@Ronald Nolette For example, nurses are a demographic which is very widely tattooed.

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged
source: allnurses dot com

So I can understand Christian nurses wanting to get inked up with something faith based (Bible ref., Christian fish sign <>< on wrist, etc.) as a conversation-starter, right?

Gideons300

Nov 3, 2020
Maryville, Tn.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Gideons300 FYI....did you see/ vote in the above poll?
Actually, I just saw this post. Here is my perspective on tattoos.

Remember when Jesus was questioned about dietary laws and said it is not what goes into your body that defiles you, but what comes out of you? Well, I believe the same thing applies to tattoos. We want to concentrate on outer appearances, on rules, as if when all the rules are kept, we must be fine with God.

But it is evil inside us, evil thoughts, bad attitudes, lack of hunger for more of God, that defiles a man. In previous times, tattoos were often connected to pagan religions and that is why the Word warns against it. But now, that is often not the case and many good hearted children of God have them.

This is not an affirmation of getting tattoos, but it is also not a condemnation. So, there should have been another choice on the survey, IMHO.

#6- Straining at gnats and swallowing camels

blessings,

Gids

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Actually, I just saw this post. Here is my perspective on tattoos.

Remember when Jesus was questioned about dietary laws and said it is not what goes into your body that defiles you, but what comes out of you? Well, I believe the same thing applies to tattoos. We want to concentrate on outer appearances, on rules, as if when all the rules are kept, we must be fine with God.

But it is evil inside us, evil thoughts, bad attitudes, lack of hunger for more of God, that defiles a man. In previous times, tattoos were often connected to pagan religions and that is why the Word warns against it. But now, that is often not the case and many good hearted children of God have them.

This is not an affirmation of getting tattoos, but it is also not a condemnation. So, there should have been another choice on the survey, IMHO.

#6- Straining at gnats and swallowing camels

blessings,

Gids
@Gideons300 Thanks for your post. Maybe what you suggest could be incorporated into another poll option: "Should not be the subject of legalistic worrying" ? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Reactions: Waiting on him