Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
LOL... She would think I am serving satan...
@Adoration No joking matter...

But my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

It's what people do.

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

It's what people do; hence the very wide scope to use the medium for faith based designs and subsequently faith based conversations.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some ppl feel this poll has run its course. Fine; if the mods want to close it, they can.

(Just to remind anyone who hasn't yet voted, that it's still open...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't think it's a big thing. My sister wanted to get a nice, small Christian tattoo, but her husband wasn't keen on the idea. I didn't mind so much, though! And I wouldn't be shocked if my daughter went there eventually. At the moment she's still trying to convince me to let her get a nose piercing. I don't have anything against them either, I just want her to wait til she's a little older.
Honestly, these things don't do any physical harm, and it's the state of the heart that's the real point.
From back @Naomi25 ...."eventually"... ? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Specially sports starts actors actress getting tattooed.
@My Dreams I read of a Hollywood producer who wanted to re-create a 1950s beach scene, but couldn't find enough young women without tattoos, but now they do it so much (so maybe similar in Bollywood, also...); I saw a quote from the Bible Belt in America about those who have them in churches which shows just how widespread they are now.

Hoping your mom is doing better. (I think you mentioned she may have had tattooing done, too.)

Reactions: My Dreams

My Dreams

Feb 22, 2020
Raipur
Faith
Christian
Country
India
@My Dreams I read of a Hollywood producer who wanted to re-create a 1950s beach scene, but couldn't find enough young women without tattoos, but now they do it so much (so maybe similar in Bollywood, also...); I saw a quote from the Bible Belt in America about those who have them in churches which shows just how widespread they are now.

Hoping your mom is doing better. (I think you mentioned she may have had tattooing done, too.)

Mom is okay but her health issues are there and she is having medicines

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My Dreams said:
... getting tattooed.

@My Dreams

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Many do it.

Maybe possible to do it too much?

But, many do it.

Reactions: My Dreams

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
justbyfaith said:
I do know a lady at my church who is a believer who got a tattoo recently. .. She said that it commemorated victory over some kind of mental health issue.
@justbyfaith You might not have any more comment; but I did include your quote as one of examples in the OP.

Seems that Christians do it so widely now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest

Sometimes ink is thoroughly Scriptural in content, whether one likes or dislikes them, and to this wearer it presumably supplies plenty of scope for Scripture discussions (which presumably for the wearer was the idea behind it).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest

Sometimes ink is thoroughly Scriptural in content, whether one likes or dislikes them, and to this wearer it presumably supplies plenty of scope for Scripture discussions (which presumably for the wearer was the idea behind it).

Personally, I don't like that kind of thing (I think it defeats the purpose) because it is written in the OT that we ought not to mark our body...and in Matthew 5:17-20 I find the teaching of our Lord that not one jot or tittle shall pass away from the law until heaven and earth pass away and all is fulfilled (including heaven and earth passing away).

I do believe that believers under the New Covenant ought to have the law written on our hearts and in our minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6).

Reactions: Helen