Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @David in NJ
I know you have reservations, which is fine; it's worth mentioning that all the young people with whom I have talked who have gotten Bible verses tattooed seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons.

I talked to a young man with one as recently as last week, and there is a sense in which if one speaks positively about the Bible verse itself, his original choice in getting it done in that way is a separate thing; I'm not going to shrink from having an encouraging conversation about a Bible verse on the grounds that some Christians would not do exactly the same, if you see what I mean.

I can be like a squirrel that came across a cup of coffee and drank it - brain starts flying by my ability to text. Resulting in thoughts, words and meanings are left out - not on purpose.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ladies and gentlemen do not get tattooed. In the UK, I perceive it as a class issue.

Best wishes, 2RM.

@2ndRateMind Did you know this? :)

"Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. The tattoo craze grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe, the craze spread to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

It's very widespread again now, including in the Bible Belt:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I couldn't agree with you more than I do!

:)

Much love!
@marks Historically this is interesting... :)

"Surprisingly, one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. The tattoo craze grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe, the craze spread to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

What I tend to do, anyway, when I talk to young ppl with Bible verse tattoos (...and all of them seem to have done it for evangelistic reasons...) is have an encouraging conversation with them about the Bible verse itself.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@2ndRateMind Did you know this? :)

It's very widespread again now, including in the Bible Belt:

No, I didn't know that. But it doesn't altogether surprise me. Fads and fashion tend to start at the top end of society (that's a conspicuous consumption thing), and then work their way down the class structure, until everyone has them, at which point the the powers that be forego them, to once again distinguish themselves from the rest of us plebian proletarians.

Best wishes, 2RM.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks Historically this is interesting... :)

What I tend to do, anyway, when I talk to young ppl with Bible verse tattoos (...and all of them seem to have done it for evangelistic reasons...) is have an encouraging conversation with them about the Bible verse itself.
It's not so interesting to me. Many societies have engaged in practices mutilating themselves in various ways and for various reasons.

1412838185966_wps_30_lip_disc_jpg.jpg

While sometimes this is meant to show social status, it's also sometimes just a fashion statement. I don't encourage people doing this either.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, I didn't know that. But it doesn't altogether surprise me. Fads and fashion tend to start at the top end of society (that's a conspicuous consumption thing), and then work their way down the class structure, until everyone has them, at which point the the powers that be forego them, to once again distinguish themselves from the rest of us plebian proletarians.

Best wishes, 2RM.
@2ndRateMind Leaving aside personal preferences, it's probably good to be aware anyway that it's something that a lot of Godly people in a measure gently pursue -often in faith based designs - in a wholehearted way.

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Mayflower said:
I've seen tattoos that have a lot of meaning like mine. I feel mine is special and thankful I got it. I haven't once felt guilty for getting it... .. quite a few in my church have faith based tattoos

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again.:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's not so interesting to me. Many societies have engaged in practices mutilating themselves in various ways and for various reasons.

1412838185966_wps_30_lip_disc_jpg.jpg

While sometimes this is meant to show social status, it's also sometimes just a fashion statement. I don't encourage people doing this either.

Much love!
@marks Well, okay! :) although extreme examples really don't "prove" a lot about benign, Bible verse tattoos that so many Christians get in order to use evangelistically...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks Well, okay! :) although extreme examples really don't "prove" a lot about benign, Bible verse tattoos that so many Christians get in order to use evangelistically...
If I thought tattoos were benign, I'd be more likely to agree.

Much love!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@2ndRateMind Leaving aside personal preferences, it's probably good to be aware anyway that it's something that a lot of Godly people in a measure gently pursue -often in faith based designs - in a wholehearted way.
Hmmm. I'm not a great fan of evangelical prosyletisation, preferring a good and Godly example. I think I would rather see the money spent on tattoos going to charitably succour the poor. This would seem to me both to save lives in our temporal space, and develop those spiritual attributes we will require to make the most of heaven.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hmmm. I'm not a great fan of evangelical prosyletisation, preferring a good and Godly example. I think I would rather see the money spent on tattoos going to charitably succour the poor. This would seem to me both to save lives in our temporal space, and develop those spiritual attributes we will require to make the most of heaven.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Well, Matthew 28 does have the urgent Great Commission from the lips of the Lord Jesus Himself. The Word of God goes forth, in many ways...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.
This brings to mind, what should our adorning be?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Much love!

I shouldn't worry about it, too much:

Matthew 6:28-29 KJV

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Much love!
@marks Doctrines! :) (Titus 2.9-10)

The various young people with Bible verses tattooed, with whom I have spoken, all seem to have done it for evangelistic reasons: i.e., winning people for the truth of God's Word. It's not for every believer. But the motive for the Gospel is something that one respects.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shouldn't worry about it, too much:

Matthew 6:28-29 KJV

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Clothed in love.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Christophany said:
once upon a time I was legalistic with tatoo's, piercing etc..... not anymore ... I do not condemn others who think differently since it has nothing to do with ones salvation.

Good point...