Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Interesting history...
@Heart2Soul Yes, and in contemporary times the first tattoo acquiring context now seems to relate far more to the transition period when boys become men and girls become women, than it ever does to being somehow radical or avant-garde. (All the earnest Christian young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to would all probably be described as conscientious and serious minded, for whom having it done - like I was saying to @Rudometkin - simply made a lot of sense.)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It depends on how much evangelism they've actually done from the tattoo.
@Wynona

Like I was saying earlier, all the earnest Christian young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to, and who all seemingly had it done for evangelistic reasons, would all probably be described as conscientious and serious minded, for whom having it done simply made a lot of sense.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @GodsGrace You mentioned about your beach visit a while ago also; I read that a Hollywood producer wanted to re-create a beach scene from the 1950s, but couldn't find enough young women as film extras who didn't have tattoos...

(I saw a quote which showed just how widespread it is also in the Bible Belt...)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
PS: @GodsGrace You mentioned about your beach visit a while ago also; I read that a Hollywood producer wanted to re-create a beach scene from the 1950s, but couldn't find enough young women as film extras who didn't have tattoos...

(I saw a quote which showed just how widespread it is also in the Bible Belt...)
I can understand.
But what's the problem?
I think they have make-up experts in Hollywood.
Maybe he tried the cheaper route first.

Reactions: farouk

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

PS
My brother just moved to So Carolina.
We shall soon know...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can understand.
But what's the problem?
I think they have make-up experts in Hollywood.
Maybe he tried the cheaper route first.
@GodsGrace Yes, there's always the make-up option...

But what you said back a bit is true:

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types. .. I was at the beach area the other day, and girls are full of tattoos. I never notices so many before

Like you say, it's what the conservative ones do, too. Gone are the days when it might have been just the radical, avant-garde types who got tattooed; it's the conservative ones now also that have it done.

All the Christian young ppl who have gotten Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons, and were likely earnest, conscientious types of young ppl.

Reactions: GodsGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS
My brother just moved to So Carolina.
We shall soon know...
@GodsGrace Here is the quote I mentioned, FYI...

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Maybe your brother down there will soon know if this is accurate...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You compared a tattoo with engaging in pre-marital sex.... with the note that both need repenting of.
I found this comment to be very legalistic.

Anyways.. you are correct... this is a public forum... and people are allowed to share their opinions.

Bless you... and I hope you don't take my aggressive response to heart.
@Addy

So many young Christians use tattoo parlors for faith based inkings and all the Christian young ppl - apparently earnest, conscientious - with Bible verses tattooed, with whom I have spoken, have seemingly had them done for evangelistic purposes. (Added to the fact that tattoos were already documented as widespread among society women in the 19th century.)

(Nothing to do, indeed, with rolling a condom.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@1stCenturyLady Back, you recommended the artwork of Revolt Tattoo, Las Vegas; I saw their video showing the potentials of calligraphy:

For Christian application in faith ink wording, the potentials of this kind of calligraphy are worth learning about, among those who would consider it as a witness tool.

For young Christians approaching the period of life when they may be considering their first ink, learning about the potentials of calligraphy -such as this material from Revolt Tattoo - can be instructive.

(Anyway with the musical background that you mentioned before and the artwork that you have long learned to appreciate, I think in some ways you would probably thoroughly enjoy Las Vegas, where Revolt Tattoo and a lot of other parlors and a thriving music scene are based.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Christophany A while ago you said:

once upon a time I was legalistic with tatoo's, piercing etc..... not anymore ... I do not condemn others who think differently since it has nothing to do with ones salvation.

Like I was saying to @1stCenturyLady , who recommended the work of the parlor which happens to specialize in calligraphy, it can be worthwhile learning about the potentials of calligraphy for faith based tattoos: all the Christian young people tattooed with Bible verses with whom I have spoken seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abaxvahl FYI...thread I started; so do you ever see Scripture based tattoos?

I do not often see those but I do know of people with them. I would never get one but I don't think it's a sin to have one. I am aware of certain historic practices where Christians have gotten tattoos, some of the most interesting I learned about recently was Bosnian Christian tattooing under the Ottomans:

%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83.jpg

BH_Croats%2C_Tattoo.jpg

NewMusic

Sep 13, 2021
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@NewMusic FYI.....thread I started...

So what, you want me to commit to an answer so that I can get ganged up and beat upon? lol

I'm anti-tattoo for every possible reason there is. Biblically it's forbidden, logically it's stupid, and especially on females it's hideous looking. I don't like them on men, either, but it's worse on females. There. I said it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do not often see those but I do know of people with them. I would never get one but I don't think it's a sin to have one. I am aware of certain historic practices where Christians have gotten tattoos, some of the most interesting I learned about recently was Bosnian Christian tattooing under the Ottomans:

%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83.jpg

BH_Croats%2C_Tattoo.jpg
Thanks @Abaxvahl Yes, it's interesting that historically it's been thoroughly well established for women as well as men to get tattooed. Some ppl think it's recent; but it isn't. I saw this quote:

"...one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. [It] grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe, the craze spread to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

All the young people with Bible verses tattoo that I have spoken with seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; and presumably the fact that she had it done has led to other conversations about it also, which was probably the whole idea.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Abaxvahl Yes, it's interesting that historically it's been thoroughly well established for women as well as men to get tattooed. Some ppl think it's recent; but it isn't. I saw this quote:

"...one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. [It] grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe, the craze spread to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.."

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art )

All the young people with Bible verses tattoo that I have spoken with seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; and presumably the fact that she had it done has led to other conversations about it also, which was probably the whole idea.

Very interesting historical info, thank you for sharing! An Evangelistic tattoo sounds like it can be a good idea to me, also it reminds you of many things such as "you were bought with a price" and so on.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very interesting historical info, thank you for sharing! An Evangelistic tattoo sounds like it can be a good idea to me, also it reminds you of many things such as "you were bought with a price" and so on.

@Abaxvahl A lot of ppl, as per other posters, think similarly to you, evidently.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again.

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor .. I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

soul man said:

my girls love the ink - :) Tattooing in our day is big, if you need or want a tattoo, that is what you should have written in the biggest boldest lettering you can get. Stare at it daily, study it daily, it never gets old. It is the only message you need that flows from scripture in full depth of understanding for anyone that will pick it up and want to know something about it.
But first and foremost, it's essential to have the Godward experience of the Psalmist in 119.11: "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

Last edited:
Reactions: Abaxvahl