Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@soul man Your quote - see previous post - seems to have become very thought-provoking! It would seem that for a lot of Christians it's partly about finding the confidence to do it in the first place.

But once decided upon, as a means of conveying a message about a Scripture that is in the heart, it can become very effective, like you say...

Reactions: soul man

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes there are lots of good artists in my area. $150 per hour adds up quick!
@Mantis Yes, well, for a first timer, a small one need not cost much; there is a parlor in Las Vegas that charges $10 for any of a series of template designs.

But, yes, for a larger, custom design that is also going to be a cover up, it can get to be more expensive; you're right.

All the young ppl, anyway, with Bible verses tattooed, with whom I have spoken, have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons. I guess the each Bible text, the cost will depend a lot on the length of the wording.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah well… I guess I could dig it. ...
@jessiblue The broader context of the 18 year old young lady today considering her first tattoo is the real possibility that her mother and even grandmother already have ink; and so when 18 year old Christians are choosing their faith based designs - whether something simple such as a Christian fish sign <>< or a Bible ref. for a wrist or foot or ankle, etc. - the broader context of it as an extremely widely observed coming of age custom comes into focus, I guess. In the circumstances, a lot of Christians would say, Well, if they are having it done, good that it's something faith based or Bible-related. (If this makes any sense?)

Reactions: jessiblue

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man Your quote - see previous post - seems to have become very thought-provoking! It would seem that for a lot of Christians it's partly about finding the confidence to do it in the first place.

But once decided upon, as a means of conveying a message about a Scripture that is in the heart, it can become very effective, like you say...

They use billboards and different means to get a message out..why not tattoo's

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They use billboards and different means to get a message out..why not tattoo's
@soul man Like you said:
my girls love the ink ...they were young when they started, especially my youngest. .. My oldest has a new really good artist.. Tattooing in our day is big, if you need or want a tattoo, that is what you should have written in the biggest boldest lettering you can get. Stare at it daily, study it daily, it never gets old. It is the only message you need that flows from scripture in full depth of understanding for anyone that will pick it up and want to know something about it.

@soul man While for young men and women coming of age, getting tattoos is so widely seen as an adulthood transitioning experience that they appreciate and expect, yet when Christian young ppl are truly considering faith based witness inkings, the desire to do it and the need to find the confidence for it can seem very compelling.

All the young people with Bible verse tattoos with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons: one can only imagine just how very strong for each of them may have been their motivation to go to the parlor.

(I guess your daughters are not yet done getting ink?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do know of people with them. I would never get one
@Abaxvahl

It's very much an individual thing and initiative.

BH_Croats%2C_Tattoo.jpg
It's this kind of picture which forms a perfect response to those who might try to make out that esp. for women it's merely a 'modern' innovation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Come on now, Farouk. You know that's not true. It's not my view, but God's.

Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
The next verse seems to say about not trimming the edge of one's beard; do preachers shave? if they do, they are tacitly admitting that they are NT Christians under grace and using Gospel witness opportunities, rather than OT Jews in the land under the law.

Ppl do have various viewpoints, e.g., @Heart2Soul said:

Heart2Soul said
I have no problems with others choices to get a tattoo....I really like some of them. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes there are lots of good artists in my area.

@Mantis So many Christians seem to use their area tattoo parlors and determined to appreciate deriving really good experiences from them, anyway.

FHII said:
I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again.

Rita said:
I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder. .. I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me. I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do not often see those but I do know of people with them.
@Abaxvahl I wonder how old the ppl in the pictures which you uploaded were when they got their tattoos done? There was probably a certain stage of life when they did them. In North America, the earrings for young men and women seem to be done in their teens, while the first tattoo is often done at around 18.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abaxvahl I wonder how old the ppl in the pictures which you uploaded were when they got their tattoos done? There was probably a certain stage of life when they did them. In North America, the earrings for young men and women seem to be done in their teens, while the first tattoo is often done at around 18.

On the Wiki it said they did it to their children, so I'd imagine quite young. It does make me wonder if you can ever tell the age of a tattoo from how it looks, and some of those images they look kind of worn, but then again a lot of the women are older (save that green drawing of one).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
On the Wiki it said they did it to their children, so I'd imagine quite young. It does make me wonder if you can ever tell the age of a tattoo from how it looks, and some of those images they look kind of worn, but then again a lot of the women are older (save that green drawing of one).
@Abaxvahl I think in North America at least it's among older women that doubts or a lack of confidence about tattoos is probably the strongest, although once it's become part of the culture it's something that is likely done naturally. I saw a quote about the Bible Belt which said that it's most widespread to do it among women under 40. Since young women do it very widely now as well as young men, it's increasingly likely that the 18 year old young woman who receives her first ink might typically already have a mom who has ink also, and in some cases even a grandmother.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very relevant thread for myself .. Getting my first tat was one of the first steps of rebellion against God and my family I made as a young man. .. Although I would prefer people not to get tattoos, I will never condemn those who do.

@runningwings

I guess everyone is different and for not a few Christians it kind of hinges on what their first experience of tattooing was. You mentioned your own first experience. Others can have a rather different, first experience. For some Christians it's undoubtedly identified in their minds as having been something that exuded a thorough wholesomeness:

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg

53f6e6a7d22969a8fd8143a478bab21a.jpg

pinterest

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

As GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.
, and because it can be - in some Christians' minds - gracious, modest, enhancing and with testimony value, it seems thoroughly to have become something that very conservative Christian ppl will just go ahead and have done.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am not one of those Christians who have a problem with tattoos.. and if I was younger... I might even get a little one that says... IT IS FINISHED.
@Addy PS: As a category mentioned on the other thread, this seems to be one of those threads which has really taken off, doesn't it? :)

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@runningwings

I guess everyone is different and for not a few Christians it kind of hinges on what their first experience of tattooing was. You mentioned your own first experience. Others can have a rather different, first experience. For some Christians it's undoubtedly identified in their minds as having been something that exuded a thorough wholesomeness:

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg

53f6e6a7d22969a8fd8143a478bab21a.jpg

pinterest

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

As GodsGrace said:

, and because it can be - in some Christians' minds - gracious, modest, enhancing and with testimony value, it seems thoroughly to have become something that very conservative Christian ppl will just go ahead and have done.

Absolutely my friend , everyone's path is different. Although my intuition tells me tattoos should probably be avoided, I'll go back to perhaps my favorite proverb:

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
But the LORD weighs the hearts.

(Proverbs 21:2)

His judgment is the only one that stands...

Reactions: amadeus