Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Yes, exactly; such a lot of modest Christians - Christian women especially - have them done, often in faith based designs. (I think the polygamy thing is a red herring, so to speak...)
I understood about the polygamy after I posted.
The poster lumped it together with tattooing the body...

BTW
I learned that there are tattoo places in the low country in So. Carolina.
Things move fast...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I understood about the polygamy after I posted.
The poster lumped it together with tattooing the body...

BTW
I learned that there are tattoo places in the low country in So. Carolina.
Things move fast...

@GodsGrace Yes, well, anyway now it's so widespread in the Bible Belt, apparently; conservative, modest ppl do it so widely now; I saw these quotes, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

They go ahead and do it.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Yes, well, anyway now it's so widespread in the Bible Belt, apparently; conservative, modest ppl do it so widely now; I saw these quotes, FYI:

QueenCat said:

greenvneck said:

They go ahead and do it.
Which is good for you!
:D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Imo the Lord honors simplicity.
@soul man Today it is very straightforward for a Christian to go get a tattoo parlor appt. for something simple, faith based.

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.

Reactions: soul man

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
To me if you wanna get a tattoo get one, you’ll be thankful for it for awhile...
@MatthewG

Heart2Soul is right about ways it's seemingly becoming a norm:

Heart2Soul said
it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos

From one aspect it's excellent to develop sound, Scriptural convictions as early in life as possible. From another, once they are old enough, it seems that so many young ppl are going to get their appts. at the tattoo parlor; and what they get will likely reflect what's really important in their lives.

(I'm sure you agree...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me

This is something I will probably get tattooed. This verse is the reason I am a Christian. This happened to me and my testimony relates to this verse. I met Jesus in this fashion.

@Mantis (Relevant here also.)

A lot of Christians seem to want to express the reason for the hope that is in them (1 Peter 3.15) though their ink.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again. :) .. peer pressure played a big part in mine. At 46 mind you.

All the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons, anyhow.

It seems to be associated particularly with those who go on missions trips also:

kmrichard7 said:
From my last trip everyone got a scripture tattoo. They didn't know they were getting them until the day of and thought of them that day. Some meaningful scriptures. One girl said she was so thankful because she went to bed in a panic not knowing why she got the verse she got with little to no meaning to her she just picked it so she could get a tattoo. But thankfully, she says, she woke up the next morning realizing she could relate the tattoo to her life. .. I didn't plan to get a tattoo on the trip either but I had that tattoo planned out for nearly a year (11months) and decided it would be more meaningful if I got it done in the place that inspired the tattoo to begin with. Maybe next year when I go back (these trips are going to be regular every 4 or so months trips) I will get another... Maybe .. One guy decided last minute but everyone literally spent hours on their phone that day looking up verses and verse tattoos..They are meaningful to them
christianforums dot com

So you are far from alone, @Mantis .

Reactions: Mantis

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

That was talking about a people who marked there bodies by cutting it in a religious thing that they did to honor the dead! That was a demonic thing. But if it is not a religious self mutilation that you are doing for dead people; then the bible says nothing else about tats.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That was talking about a people who marked there bodies by cutting it in a religious thing that they did to honor the dead! That was a demonic thing. But if it is not a religious self mutilation that you are doing for dead people; then the bible says nothing else about tats.
That verse mentions tattoos “‘Do not . . . put tattoo marks on yourselves.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and JohnPaul

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Not tats alone IF you look at the context of the whole thing. I used to be completely against tats; but I changed my toon. I still don't want any for myself, or my family... but I won't judge others that do.

Reactions: Mayflower

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
where is the scripture that says no tattoo ? i am not a fan of them for myself but i fail to see the sin unless it has obscenity's in it

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower So I guess you didn't see her today in church...?

(Not that discussing ink is ever remotely the main reason to seeing ppl in church...)

Let's see not sure how far back this was but I did space. And Thursday we didn't have church for Thanksgiving. :)

Reactions: farouk