Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes. Haha. I found this in my phone gallery, so I know I posted this verse now!!!
@Mayflower Well, there it is.... :)

Anyway, seems like your preacher's wife - like a lot of contemporary Godly women have evidently found quite independently in their experiences - has found that getting a testimony-friendly inking just works effectively, over and over, in generating friendly and enquiring discussions with other women, with whom they have a special ministry and natural privilege to approach.

She likely won't resent you asking about it....(just you see...)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Yes, well it's what so many women of her generation do now, isn't it?

(But I guess there is no sign of your other daughter thinking of doing it as well...)
Not a chance. I don't understand why people want to get tattoos. I don't like them. And according to scripture I don't think God does either. But each to their own.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My mom was always sort of hippy-biker mom and my dad builds guitars for a hobby. Good musicians. They are pretty chill people.
@FluffyYellowDuck Well, traditionally - among musicians - tattoos and piercings are almost "essential" (not really, but almost...) and I guess you grew up as the daughter of musicians being pretty relaxed about them and it was maybe only a matter of time before you had them also...

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS: @Faithbuilders So did your son get any more ink, whether faith based or otherwise? :)

(Sorry the poll expired already...)

No, he did not. But Now my daughter is asking to get permanent one, and my wife wants me and her to tattoo rings on our finger. As I no longer am against them for other people; I am leery about my family getting them as I feel called into the ministry, and I don't want it to be a stumbling block for others to hear the Gospel.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, he did not. But Now my daughter is asking to get permanent one, and my wife wants me and her to tattoo rings on our finger. As I no longer am against them for other people; I am leery about my family getting them as I feel called into the ministry, and I don't want it to be a stumbling block for others to hear the Gospel.
@Faithbuilders It's perhaps not surprising that the women of your family are wishing to become tattooed (you were not really surprised, were you?) because among Christian women in North America it seems to have become a very widely opted means of expressing witness joy. Quite apart from particularly heavily represented demographics such as members of health services and military spouses, the tattoo parlor is frequented by very significant proportions of women from the Bible Belt, if reports are to be viewed as at all accurate:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

A high proportion of some congregations have them and it has become something that conservative people evidently do with confidence:

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

But, despite any reservations on your part, maybe you were already aware of the sheer extent of ink - including faith based tattoos - among Christians, especially women?

Some people are also hesitant because of ink issues, although - as has been stated in the past on this forum - tattoo ink quality has improved enormously in recent years.

Last edited:

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I have seen faith based tats; my daughter and wife will honor me even if they want them. I am not hesitant because of ink issues, I am hesitant because of religious issues. Many people, my dad included, are religiously againsed tats, and would be offended at us if we got them, therefor would no longer listen to the Gospel that we would bring forth.

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

I know people say this doesn't apply to us today as it was part of the Old Covenant. But couldn't that also be said of the Ten Commandments?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

I know people say this doesn't apply to us today as it was part of the Old Covenant. But couldn't that also be said of the Ten Commandments?
No, nor my son, but it's their bodies.

@Pearl It's interesting anyway that the Jewish Sabbath does not reoccur in the NT as regards the moral content of the 10 Commandments. Hebrews 7 also shows that the law was changed (v. 12) and what we now have is better than the law (v. 19).

So maybe your son got his ink done after your daughter did?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl It's interesting anyway that the Jewish Sabbath does not reoccur in the NT as regards the moral content of the 10 Commandments. Hebrews 7 also shows that the law was changed (v. 12) and what we now have is better than the law (v. 19).

So maybe your son got his ink done after your daughter did?
No farouk. And I think this thread has run its course. I won't post on it again.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It really amazes me that people would buy pants that have holes in them Farouk lol.
@MatthewG It might have been thought years ago somewhat rough as an image to have both slashed jeans or tattoos, but today serious-minded Christians - perhaps especially women - sometimes have both; both would be simply regarded as widespread customs that are benign.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Faithbuilders Well, you must know about the varying views of your family members, anyway. Recently, above, @Mantis was talking about his former work as a tattoo artist, anyhow.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to submit her wrist to the tattoo machine.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked with seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons (whatever your wife's and daughter's purely theoretical motivations for it might have been; I realize it's not such a live issue at the moment).