Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Truman the Levite Thanks for the 'likes'. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Christians or anyone else ought to get tattoos; but for those motivated to have witness-friendly faith based designs done it's of course very straightforward to get started; the video shows just how simple it is.

Reactions: Truman

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think anywhere is a perfect place...as our footsteps are ordered of the Lord let it be as He Wills!
PS: @Heart2Soul I talked to a young man this week with a Bible verse tattooed on his arm; he thanked me for the encouragement. (The video posted a couple of posts above shows that it need only cost $10 to start one's tattoo journey if the person is eventually thinking about using ink to witness (although the person needs first of all to be sure...)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @Heart2Soul I talked to a young man this week with a Bible verse tattooed on his arm; he thanked me for the encouragement. (The video posted a couple of posts above shows that it need only cost $10 to start one's tattoo journey if the person is eventually thinking about using ink to witness (although the person needs first of all to be sure...)
Awesome!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Maybe I should wear my earring. Maybe I couldn't care less!
@Truman the Levite Go for it; don't go for it; it makes little difference. As I recall about 40 years ago it was very widespread for young men to wear earrings, including some who were being baptized at evangelical churches; and at the small conservative church that my wife and I attend probably a majority of young men/boys would wear earrings; so go for it/ don't go for it: it makes little difference.

Tattoos, of course, can be faith based; depends a lot whether the wearer wants to use them as a witness tool, really, doesn't it?

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I shaved and cut my hair. Before that, I looked like I owned the Harleys that sometimes visit us. They are my son's old friends. They have patches, we get watched, but I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle. Jesus loves the outlaws too! :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I shaved and cut my hair. Before that, I looked like I owned the Harleys that sometimes visit us. They are my son's old friends. They have patches, we get watched, but I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle. Jesus loves the outlaws too! :)
@Truman the Levite As per your earlier comment, studding the ears is optional, and so is getting tattooed, although a tattoo can be a conversation-starter: I think I mentioned that earlier this week a Bible verse tattoo that a young guy had gotten led to an encouraging conversation.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess I got off track a bit. I'm in a good mood today! I felt God's joy so powerfully earlier and it's lingering! If I had one, I might wear it. I used to wear a cross. And have long hair. My ex didn't like it. Her last boyfriend had long hair and rode a Harley...go figure!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess I got off track a bit. I'm in a good mood today! I felt God's joy so powerfully earlier and it's lingering! If I had one, I might wear it. I used to wear a cross. And have long hair. My ex didn't like it. Her last boyfriend had long hair and rode a Harley...go figure!
@Truman the Levite ... Assuming the earring hole is still open! :)

More seriously, it used to be that, if at all, it would be men who got tattoos and women would get earrings. (It's still this way, of course.)

But now so widely for decades also men also have worn earrings and women have gotten tattoos. And if so inclined it's just natural for young Christian men and women confidently to wear earrings and get tattoos. I've mentioned various conversations that have arisen because Christian young people have confidently gotten Bible verse tattoos done. They need encouraging and it's good to encourage them in the Word that that they clearly love.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman the Levite ... Assuming the earring hole is still open! :)

More seriously, it used to be that, if at all, it would be men who got tattoos and women would get earrings. (It's still this way, of course.)

But now for decades also men also have worn earrings and women have gotten tattoos. And if so inclined it's just natural for young Christian men and women confidently to wear earrings and get tattoos. I've mentioned various conversations that have arisen because Christian young people have confidently gotten Bible verse tattoos done. They need encouraging and it's good to encourage them in the Word that that they clearly love.
I've recently stopped playing hard rock and blues. I was led to cut my hair. I don't have a problem with any of these looks. The Lord uses them, and it's who I was for a long time. I used to party with the best of them. I'm so glad that I didn't get obligated. I had friends that many of us would be afraid of. Jesus has always had His hand on me. That song, "What You Did To The Least" keeps going through my head. The church has got to get out of the buildings. And while keeping a home base, stay out. No more them and us. It's us and us-just not yet.

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower It just shows how, as a witness tool, getting confidently inked up with Bible verses has become so widespread and conversation-effective, consistent with the principles of modesty.

Do you like this one also?

2b347aee0ab5688eb9e470b63975b6b9.jpg
in dot pinterest

(Looks like it's just been inked, and the wearer seems quite thrilled she just had it it done.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
tumblr_n7fjo9LOre1qhh15co1_1280.jpg
tattoo - awe dot blogspot dot com

There is a classic and modest simplicity to this one.

Like @Mayflower said:
What applies is caring for your temple, and sometimes a tattoo can be caring for your temple. .. If you put something beautiful on your body in order to witness to the kingdom of God, that is using your body for God's glory.

Last edited: