Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven...
OP ^

A Reporter's Headline.
A Journalists Words!
Not the Popes words.
I hate Headlines!

Fact:

Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith."

TO THAT...who Asked Francis That????

TO THAT...The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... The Answer IS No.

Uh...Gods Mercy HAS NO MERCY LIMITS?
THEN Francis, Immediately...
Reveals Gods LIMITS, "THE Condition"... "IF".

Precisely what The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Teaches.
Precisely what Jesus Taught.
"IF"!!!

No. Your Conscience IS NOT your Heart.
Obey God. Hear His Word. God prepares a man's spirit IN his Heart, with measures of Gods Gift of Faith.

Pfft. UGH! An utterly Corrupt message.

Obey God. Hear Gods Word!!!

Glory to God,
Taken

Yes that appears to be the corrupt part. Instead of compelling them to Christ, he's satisfying them with a good conscious.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this on the news, and just wanted to know your thoughts on if this is true? I was under the impression that you have to believe in God to go to heaven. Are there any verses that cover this?

"In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences."

Here's the article: Pope tells atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven

But it states:

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”
'But without faith it is impossible to please Him:
for he that cometh to God must believe that He is,
and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.'

(Heb 11:6)

Hello @Devin Wintch,

I checked on-line, and it is pronounced to be a fiction. Stating (quote):-

• Pope Francis Says Atheists Go to Heaven – Fiction! Summary of e-Rumor: Pope Francis said the traditional notion of God is outdated and it’s not necessary to believe in god to be a good person. The Truth: There’s no record of Pope Francis saying that the church is outdated, or that you don’t have to believe in god to be a good person.
* However what matters is not what Pope Francis says, but what the Bible has to say concerning entrance into life eternal. The Lord Jesus said, 'He that believeth on Me, believeth not on Me, but on Him that sent Me.' (Joh 12:44).

'The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into His hand.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:
and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;
but the wrath of God abideth on him.'

(John 3:35-36)

* It is not a matter of heaven or hell, but of life or death.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'But without faith it is impossible to please Him:
for he that cometh to God must believe that He is,
and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.'

(Heb 11:6)

Hello @Devin Wintch,

I checked on-line, and it is pronounced to be a fiction. Stating:-

• Pope Francis Says Atheists Go to Heaven – Fiction! Summary of eRumor: Pope Francis said the traditional notion of God is outdated and it’s not necessary to believe in god to be a good person. The Truth: There’s no record of Pope Francis saying that the church is outdated, or that you don’t have to believe in god to be a good person.
* However what matters is not what Pope Francis says, but what the Bible has to say concerning entrance into life eternal. The Lord Jesus said, 'He that believeth on Me, believeth not on Me, but on Him that sent Me.' (Joh 12:44).

'The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into His hand.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life:
and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life;
but the wrath of God abideth on him.'

(John 3:35-36)

* It is not a matter of heaven or hell, but of life or death.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Well it's true according to several sources, including the National Catholic Reporter: Pope Francis' outreach to atheists not as controversial as it seems

It sounds like you might have found a different story altogether.

But it's been my understanding that the opposite of eternal life is the second death or the lake of fire.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rom 2:14-16
For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.

They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, 6 while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them

on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus.

Peace!
'For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law:
and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God,
but the doers of the law shall be justified.
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law,
do by nature the things contained in the law,
these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts,
their conscience also bearing witness,
and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another )
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ
according to my gospel.'

(Romans 2:12-16)

Hello @Philip James,

I agree that we are not to judge those that are 'without' (1 Corinthians 5:12-13 ), for it is God who will judge them, and that justly, because He knows their heart. However does not this portion of Scripture in Romans 2:14-16, speak concerning those who have NOT heard the gospel of the grace of God? Who when they stand before God on the day that He will judge the secrets of men's hearts He will judge on the basis described there.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip James

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's true according to several sources, including the National Catholic Reporter: Pope Francis' outreach to atheists not as controversial as it seems

It sounds like you might have found a different story altogether.

But it's been my understanding that the opposite of eternal life is the second death or the lake of fire.
Hello @Devin Wintch,

I will not derail your thread by entering into a discussion on the second death or the lake of fire, but stand by my statement that it is not a matter of Heaven or Hell as a destination on the day of judgement, but of life or death, for that is what is at stake.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Devin Wintch,

I will not derail your thread by entering into a discussion on the second death or the lake of fire, but stand by my statement that it is not a matter of Heaven or Hell as a destination on the day of judgement, but of life or death, for that is what is at stake.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thanks for not derailing the thread, that seems to happen a lot in some of the threads.

But in defense of the Pope, I find an Islam and Judaic teaching about different heavens, and it mingles with Biblical teachings. It is that there are different degrees of heaven.

Deuteronomy 10:14

14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord's thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.

1 Kings 8:27

27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

And Paul taught of a third heaven:

2 Corinthians 12:2

2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

And if there are multiple degrees of heaven, then perhaps there is salvation for lesser righteous or something along those lines.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for not derailing the thread, that seems to happen a lot in some of the threads.

But in defense of the Pope, I find an Islam and Judaic teaching about different heavens, and it mingles with Biblical teachings. It is that there are different degrees of heaven.

Deuteronomy 10:14

14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord's thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.

1 Kings 8:27

27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

And Paul taught of a third heaven:

2 Corinthians 12:2

2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

And if there are multiple degrees of heaven, then perhaps there is salvation for lesser righteous or something along those lines.
'I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago,
(whether in the body, I cannot tell;
or whether out of the body,
I cannot tell: God knoweth )
such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man,
(whether in the body, or out of the body,
I cannot tell: God knoweth )
How that he was caught up into paradise,
and heard unspeakable words,
which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
Of such an one will I glory:
yet of myself I will not glory,
but in mine infirmities.'

(2Corinthians 12:2-5)

Hello Devin,

With Paul I must say, 'God knoweth'. It is not for me to speculate where He remains silent. Moses said to the children of Israel:-

'The secret things belong unto the LORD our God:
but those things which are revealed
belong unto us and to our children for ever,
that we may do all the words of this law.'

(Deuteronomy 29:29)

* Ephesians 4:10 speaks of, 'all heavens' in connection with the Lord's ascension.

* There seem to be at least three parts of heaven itself. There are also three heavens in time, 1) the heavens that were of old' (2 Peter 3:5); 2) the heavens and the earth that are now (2 Peter 3:7); and 3) a new heavens and a new earth which are yet to be created (2 Peter 3:13 ).

* The Church which is the Body of Christ has a hope which is to be realized in heavenly places in Christ Jesus; and is, in God's sight, already sitting (spiritually) in Christ Jesus at God's right hand, far above all heavens.

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know.
You think Jesus made a long distance journey to earth to just say, Hey, you don't need to believe in me, just do the right thing?
You think going through 3 and a half years of humilty and attacks was worth people just doing the right thing?
And I don't mean You I mean I'm thinking out loud in general.

You think sending all those prophets over thousands of years to tell us..no warn us what was coming, just so we do the right thing?

I mean anyone can just do the right thing.
But if that right thing don't include asking for forgiveness,
And you have to be asking it from someone greater than yourself..
Then you have to believe in the one your asking forgiveness from.

I don't think you get a pardon unless you plead to the Judge.
If you don't believe there is a judge, then how can the pardon stand????

I don't know,
whaddaya think?

Speaking of Judges..
Amy got confirmed last night for the Supreme Court!
What an awesome day!!
HUGS

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Saw this on the news, and just wanted to know your thoughts on if this is true? I was under the impression that you have to believe in God to go to heaven. Are there any verses that cover this?

"In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences."

Here's the article: Pope tells atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven

But it states:

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”
Coming from someone who thinks fallen angels should be forgiven, I'm not at all surprised. Enoch interceded on behalf of the Watchers but God said no. There is no reason why "aliens" should be baptized.
The RCC is built on a faulty foundation, aka sin. Everything built on it is out of plumb, thus making it out of line with God's word. Truth. But we live in a world that thinks hard truth is evil. Shalom.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coming from someone who thinks fallen angels should be forgiven, I'm not at all surprised. Enoch interceded on behalf of the Watchers but God said no. There is no reason why "aliens" should be baptized.
The RCC is built on a faulty foundation, aka sin. Everything built on it is out of plumb, thus making it out of line with God's word. Truth. But we live in a world that thinks hard truth is evil. Shalom.

Some people can't look at the hard truth, because of fear of their beliefs being shaken.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some people can't look at the hard truth, because of fear of their beliefs being shaken.
"At that time His voice shook the earth, but now He has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."
I once had a faulty foundation for my soul. God dealt with it. He shook me until only that which was of Him remained.
The foundation laid by the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus being the chief cornerstone, is to be laid in the heart of every new believer through the God-given revelation that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
So whether you are with RCC or it's many daughters, God's truth remains.
I hate dead religion in all its ugly manifestations because it keeps the children of Yahweh from their rightful inheritance. Which is Christ in us through repentance and the practice of the daily cross (death to self).
Whether one is in the RCC or another related group, the truth remains the same: Jesus is the Messiah of mankind, the Son of the Living God, as put forth in John 3:16. Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead and you will be saved.
Saying that one will be shown mercy by God if they follow their conscience is speaking by the spirit of antiChrist. The question here is, do you have eyes to see this? Shalom.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"At that time His voice shook the earth, but now He has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."
I once had a faulty foundation for my soul. God dealt with it. He shook me until only that which was of Him remained.
The foundation laid by the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus being the chief cornerstone, is to be laid in the heart of every new believer through the God-given revelation that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
So whether you are with RCC or it's many daughters, God's truth remains.
I hate dead religion in all its ugly manifestations because it keeps the children of Yahweh from their rightful inheritance. Which is Christ in us through repentance and the practice of the daily cross (death to self).
Whether one is in the RCC or another related group, the truth remains the same: Jesus is the Messiah of mankind, the Son of the Living God, as put forth in John 3:16. Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead and you will be saved.
Saying that one will be shown mercy by God if they follow their conscience is speaking by the spirit of antiChrist. The question here is, do you have eyes to see this? Shalom.

I would think the sin would be delivering Atheists into the worship of false gods, but yes I see some evil in it. But also encouraging to be good people is not the worst evil in the world. So it's quite a twisted statement. But that's not entirely what the Pope said, he said: "God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart". So he's side-winding the question and also encouraging them to seek God.

Reactions: Truman

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scripture in Romans 2:14-16, speak concerning those who have NOT heard the gospel of the grace of God?

Hello charity,

I would think so, yes. And does not Jesus tell us His standard in Matt 25: 31-46 ?

Love! Not some squishy feeling but laying down ones life to serve those around us...

As John says ' all who love are born of God'
And Paul warns us 'if I have faith to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing...

Further, I would suggest that those who know (or claim to know!) Jesus, will be held to a higher standard, for:
'to him who has been given much, much will be expected'
And:
'its a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God'

Peace be with you!

Jesus,
For the sake of your sorrowful passion,
Have mercy on us, and on the whole world!

Reactions: historyb

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is totally misleading. See Mark 16:15,16.
And He [Christ] said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that we are not to judge those that are 'without' (1 Corinthians 5:12-13 ), for it is God who will judge them, and that justly, because He knows their heart. However does not this portion of Scripture in Romans 2:14-16, speak concerning those who have NOT heard the gospel of the grace of God? Who when they stand before God on the day that He will judge the secrets of men's hearts He will judge on the basis described there.
Romans 1:19-20 (NKJV)
19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Reactions: charity

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe you said the same thing a long time ago. This Pope is a full apostate

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad we can't have a moratorium on Catholic bashing, along with threads protecting Trump

Reactions: Seven of Nine

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Too bad we can't have a moratorium on Catholic bashing
It is "Pope Francis bashing" and rightly so. He is a traitor to the Catholic Church and to Christianity, but you have no objection to his treason. Every time he opens his mouth publicly, he puts his foot in it. That is shameful for one who claims to be a pope.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte