Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I'm lying about the Catholic teaching that one must be good to be saved?

Of course you are. One be in a state if Grace, much different from being a good person. Catholics Christians believe that only Christ saves, I know you guys don't like that but there it is. We are saved, we are being saved, we will be saved. Catholics don't talk evangelicals but have like evangelicals have their own way of saying things.

From the Catholic Catechism:

ARTICLE 2
GRACE AND JUSTIFICATION

I. JUSTIFICATION

1987 The grace of the Holy Spirit has the power to justify us, that is, to cleanse us from our sins and to communicate to us "the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ" and through Baptism:34

But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. For we know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. The death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves as dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.35
1988 Through the power of the Holy Spirit we take part in Christ's Passion by dying to sin, and in his Resurrection by being born to a new life; we are members of his Body which is the Church, branches grafted onto the vine which is himself:36

[God] gave himself to us through his Spirit. By the participation of the Spirit, we become communicants in the divine nature. . . . For this reason, those in whom the Spirit dwells are divinized.37
1989 The first work of the grace of the Holy Spirit is conversion, effecting justification in accordance with Jesus' proclamation at the beginning of the Gospel: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."38 Moved by grace, man turns toward God and away from sin, thus accepting forgiveness and righteousness from on high. "Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man.39

1990 Justification detaches man from sin which contradicts the love of God, and purifies his heart of sin. Justification follows upon God's merciful initiative of offering forgiveness. It reconciles man with God. It frees from the enslavement to sin, and it heals.

1991 Justification is at the same time the acceptance of God's righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ. Righteousness (or "justice") here means the rectitude of divine love. With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us.

1992 Justification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men. Justification is conferred in Baptism, the sacrament of faith. It conforms us to the righteousness of God, who makes us inwardly just by the power of his mercy. Its purpose is the glory of God and of Christ, and the gift of eternal life:40

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Grace and justification

and from an article:

How should I (a Catholic) respond to someone who asks me if I’ve been saved, or born again?
Answer with a resounding, “Yes!” Tell them that it is through Baptism that you were saved, just as the Bible says in 1 Ptr 3:20-21 and that it is through Baptism, water and the Spirit, that you are “born again,” just as the Bible says in John 3:5.You see, many Protestants believe that they are saved by making one single act of faith at one single point in time in their lives. Nowhere does Scripture say such a thing. As Catholics, however, we believe that salvation is a process which begins with our Baptism and continues throughout our lifetimes, just as the Bible teaches us.There are so many places in Scripture, which talk about how one is “saved”, but not one of them says we are saved by one act of faith at just one point in time. As I just mentioned, 1 Ptr 3:20 says we are saved by baptism. In Hebrews 12:14 it says that we will not see the Lord unless we are holy, and that we have to strive for this holiness. In Matthew 6:14-15, it says we must forgive others or we will not be forgiven. Can you attain salvation if God hasn’t forgiven you? No! So, our forgiving others is necessary for our salvation. 1 Tim 2:15 says that woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness with modesty. John 6:54 says we will have eternal life by doing something…eating the flesh and drinking the blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In Matthew 19, verses 16 and 17, Jesus is asked directly what one must do to have eternal life. Did He say, accept me into your heart once and that’s it? No! Jesus said to keep the commandments and you will have life. Yes, as Catholics we are born again. And, as Catholics we believe that we were saved, as Paul says in Rom 8:24; that we are being saved, as Paul says in 1 Cor 1:18; and that we will be saved, as Paul says in Rom 5:9-10, provided we persevere and keep our eyes on the prize. Salvation is a process, just as Catholics believe, and just as the Bible clearly teaches.
Salvation | Catholics Come Home

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't this old news? Anyways,.. anytime on here I state my opinion I get attacked so I would rather stay quiet on this one.
Apparently it is old information, sorry about that, I had just received it in my facebook account. So I posted it here without checking :(

Reactions: April_Rose

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
True!

But that does not give us the right to sit in judgment on those that have not yet been given the gift of faith..

Rather let us pray for them, and let the love of Christ so shine forth that all are drawn to Him!

A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory

Peace!

We not judging,but it's still wrong according to scripture .

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Many religious people today are being too bigotry on the law, they were not aware of the main priority of the law which already described in these following verses :

Romans 13:8, 10-11
8. Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
10. Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
11. And do this because we know the time, that it is already the hour for us to awake from sleep, for our salvation is now nearer than when we became believers.

Its simple, but many people are deceiving others and many strife are coming from the lust of pride & love of money. Every believers in Christ should put these verses below as their main objective to get lived righteously in God.

1 Timothy 6:3-10
3. If someone spreads false teachings and does not agree with sound words (that is, those of our Lord Jesus Christ) and with the teaching that accords with godliness,
4. he is conceited and understands nothing, but has an unhealthy interest in controversies and verbal disputes. This gives rise to envy, dissension, slanders, evil suspicions,
5. and constant bickering by people corrupted in their minds and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a way of making a profit.
6. Now godliness combined with contentment brings great profit.
7. For we have brought nothing into this world and so we cannot take a single thing out either.
8. But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.
9. Those who long to be rich, however, stumble into temptation and a trap and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
10. For the love of money is the root of all evils. Some people in reaching for it have strayed from the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with you. But my concern is more that the Pope may be enabling atheists to remain atheist and think they're ok with just good morals.
My first point is simple, the pope does not know Jesus.

Following Jesus is not about morality, it's about light and darkness. The reason people do not accept Jesus is the darkness in their heart.

Athiests are like Sadducees, no life after death, so morality is just humanism. And humanism easily becomes Stalin and Moa, with a little anger and blame.

Reactions: dev553344

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we don't know who will be saved so we don't judge. But shouldn't the Popes message be more along these lines?

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I also believe in the verses that follow. Which say the world is already condemned. If we die without Christ we will NOT be saved.

But it is also not my place to judge in the end. I don't really know a man's heart in the end. Only God knows and only Christ will judge. Not me.

But it is also my place to say that athiests will only be saved if they believe in Christ.

Reactions: dev553344