Praying to saints past?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
Reposted for kriss(winsome;54790)
It is you who err in not knowing the power of God, and the generosity and love of God.How can those in heaven hear all our prayers?Heaven is out of time at least the sort of time we know on earth. Those in heaven are not constrained by time as we are. They are part of the Body and more closely bound with Christ and the Holy Spirit than we are. Everything that they know is known through Christ. It is not that they hear our prayers but that they know them. A Saints ability to know of several prayers “at once” doesn’t imply omnipresence. It just means they are outside time.Jesus prays that we will be one in him, just as he is one in the Father and we will also be in the Father. In other words we will be united in to the divine life of the Trinity. This comes to perfection in heaven.“I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (Jn 17:20-23). As Paul says in 1 Cor 13:12 “For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known.”Whatever Christ does we will be able to do – though Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. What do the scriptures say Jesus is doing in heaven?“… he is for ever to intercede for all who come to God through him.” (Heb 7:25).Now, we, on earth, are to be imitating him, what he did while on earth. “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” (1Cor 11;1)Why would we stop imitating Jesus just because we go to heaven? Why would we sit around and twiddle our thumbs while our Lord and King is interceding for those on earth?Does our service to our Lord end when we go to heaven?Or is the body doing what the Head is doing?God will raise us up with him and seat us with him in the heavenly places in Christ (see Eph 2:5-6) And what are we to do when raised up with him in heaven?“For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.” (Eph 2:10). Why should those good works not include intercession just as Jesus is doing? Everything we do will depend on Christ because we are in him.If we look at Revelation we can see what the saints in heaven are doing:“When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” (Rev 5:8)And “Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne.” (Rev 8:3)If the saints and angels in heaven are offering our prayers to God, then they must be aware of our prayers. They are aware of our petitions and present them to God by interceding for us.You say that in heaven we are as angels of God in heaven. And what do angels do?“Are not all angels spirits in the divine service, sent to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?”(Heb 1:14) So those in heaven are in the divine service They serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation – us here on earth. How do they do that? Well one way is by interceding for us.Consider also this scripture:“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses…” (Heb 12:1). The Greek word used for 'witness' means to give testimony to a judge. What Judge are they giving testimony too? - There can be only one Judge, God Himself, and they are speaking to Him on our behalf.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Im saying this is not written in the bible the verse's you have presented say nothing of praying to the dead Saint or not. It is not taught. and the arrogance to assume the prayers of the saint are yours and not their own is speculation and assumption. And if you are concerned with walking in Christs path why are you praying to the dead. I will repeat this is a Catholic doctrine a teaching/tradition of men. This is not a biblical teaching as your lack to come up with any scripture proves.Whenever the Bible mentions praying to or speaking with the dead, it is in the context of sorcery, witchcraft, necromancy, and divination - activities the Bible strongly condemns (Leviticus 20:27; Deuteronomy 18:10-13). The one instance when a "saint" is spoken to, Samuel in 1 Samuel 28:7-19, Samuel was not exactly happy to be disturbed. It is plainly clear that praying to Mary or the saints is completely different from asking someone here on earth to pray for you. One has a strong Biblical basis, the other has no Biblical basis whatsoever.Then there is the fact God does not answer prayers based on who is praying.He answers prayers based on the spiritual state of the persons heart which ONLY HE CAN JUDGE God answers prayers based on whether they are asked according to His will (1 John 5:14-15). There is absolutely no basis or need to pray to anyone other than God alone. There is no basis for asking those who are in Heaven to pray for us. Only God can hear our prayers. Only God can answer our prayers. No one in Heaven has any greater access to God's throne that we do through prayer (Hebrews 4:16).

Status
Not open for further replies.