Praying without ceasing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Do you pray without ceasing? I find it difficult sometimes, especially on my job which requires my attention. I sometimes catch myself not praying. Alot of the times actually. I feel bad that I don't pray as I should. Any advice? Prayer should be like breathing to the child of God imo. How have you learned or been guided to do this important thing?

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two types of prayers.
One you can do in peace when you’re not distracted and busy by anything, where you set aside 15-30 minutes in the morning and at night before you go to bed.

The others are spontaneous prayers of gratitude or mercy throughout the day.
They can happen anywhere. In an elevator at work, driving, at the supermarket.
I end up saying things like “Thank you God for everything” or “God have mercy on me a sinner”.
So I say stuff like that countless times throughout the day while I’m working.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you pray without ceasing? I find it difficult sometimes, especially on my job which requires my attention. I sometimes catch myself not praying. Alot of the times actually. I feel bad that I don't pray as I should. Any advice? Prayer should be like breathing to the child of God imo. How have you learned or been guided to do this important thing?

I go in seasons. Particularly when ministry is on my mind, my prayer life will pick up, and also if I am fasting. But I'm ashamed to say it's still somewhat seasonal with me. I can get up to praying several hours a day sometimes, yet sometimes it might only be 15 minutes or less. All depends on what's going on with my life atm. So I think the key is to follow one's calling and ministry. The greater the ministry, the more one's need to pray.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I find any time I am walking down the hallway I am talking to God. Or driving. Just little bits of time here and there when I am not busy. It is nice.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find any time I am walking down the hallway I am talking to God. Or driving. Just little bits of time here and there when I am not busy. It is nice.
One you can do in peace when you’re not distracted and busy by anything, where you set aside 15-30 minutes in the morning and at night before you go to bed.

I end up saying things like “Thank you God for everything” or “God have mercy on me a sinner”.

Amen, and glad hidden in him prays too.

Sometimes I’ll go without it, sometimes you just gotta make the extra effort to do so.

There is a scripture that talks about how the Holy Spirit will pray for us. You can trust this, saying.

“Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:26-28‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is idea for you, you are up for the task @friend of.

Get a slip of paper and write down every individual you have ever met, be it family, friends, strangers and anyone you may have had a fight with, or disdain for.

Write down that list of names and start asking God to be with each and everyone of them.

Then do this for yourself if you desire every morning when you wake up, every night when you lay down.

(A side note I do ask God to help me to have fruits of the spirit too, like peace, kindness, gentleness, to help with my anxiety, to help me have joy, help me with my faith, and the like as welll). Maybe that will help you too, I don’t know.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is idea for you, you are up for the task @friend of.

Get a slip of paper and write down every individual you have ever met, be it family, friends, strangers and anyone you may have had a fight with, or disdain for.

Write down that list of names and start asking God to be with each and everyone of them.

Then do this for yourself if you desire every morning when you wake up, every night when you lay down.

(A side note I do ask God to help me to have fruits of the spirit too, like peace, kindness, gentleness, to help with my anxiety, to help me have joy, help me with my faith, and the like as welll). Maybe that will help you too, I don’t know.

Thanks man

Reactions: Mayflower

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like spending some time in the morning "just hanging out with Jesus". Not necessarily any words spoken.

Several people have mentioned the spontaneous prayers like "Thank you" or "Hey Father, that flower is really pretty". I like those.

(I've been working on addressing Him as "Father" rather than "God", like Jesus told us to do. Why did it take me so long?)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am rather poor in my prayers myself sir, lacking many times in what to say. There are many prayers in the Bible that help in that aspect, and certainly the instructional prayer that Jesus gave us beginning in Mat 6:9 should be a great guidance in that aspect. Another prayer he gave is John 17 the entire chapter. Sincerity is the key, and honesty as well. Jehovah isn't big on elaborate prayers, rather sincere, honest prayers from the heart.

Reactions: friend of

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you pray without ceasing? I find it difficult sometimes, especially on my job which requires my attention.

Think of the difference between continuous and continual. One is without interruption. The other is repeated. We are to pray repeatedly. It is not possible to function in this world without turning our attention to matters other than praying. So, don't be so hard on yourself. The yoke of the lord is light.

What we are not expected to do is pray for 15 minutes at the beginning of the day to 'get it over with.' Rather, we are expected to have an ongoing relationship with God throughout the day. Pray while you do life. Pray in between giving your attention to the needful things. Pray when you have down time between activities that require your attention. Hope this helps.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Thessalonians 5:17 perhaps is the verse I quote more than any other. (I also quote Matthew 22:34-40 and Matthew 4:17 quite a lot.) We should always be praying.

Now, yes, we have to carry on our lives at the same time. I hope that guy in the flight control tower is doing his job when my plane comes in for a landing.

Remember that listening to God is part of prayer and is more important than speaking to him.

Reactions: Lambano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's easy to get distracted, and especially if we are knowing something against ourselves, then it's easier still!

I need good reminders like this one!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me it's one.

A pastor one time used the analogy that it's like never hanging up the phone, and that stuck with me.

Much love!

Reactions: GaryAnderson