Predestinated by Omission?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hezekiah

Oct 30, 2012
Paul says the saved were predestinated by the very will of God:
Eph_1:4

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Eph_1:5

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Eph_1:11

In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Rom_8:30
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Would it not now be reasonable to offer that if the saved were predestinated for salvation then it can be also said that the unsaved are also predestinated by the act of omission?

rand

Sep 10, 2012
I don't fully know all the theology on these verses, but they seem to say something different to me than they seem to be saying to you.

Eph 1:4 it seems you think the 'us' in this verse is 'people whom God chooses. I see it as those who are in Christ (those who chose CHrist)

Eph 1:5 same as verse 4

Eph 1:11 it seems you think it's saying the people have been predestined, I think its saying the inheritance is predestined to the people who are in Christ. in other words, the people who are in Christ are predestined to an inheritance.

as far as Romans 8:30 goes, you really need to start with 8:29. Those God forknew (who would accept Christ), those, He predestined to be comformed into the image of His Son. ---:30 those He predestined (to be conformed into the image of His Son...) those He called....

I don't believe for a second that it's God's will for any to perish or to be predestined to hell.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
What you are talking about is closely akin (if not entirely the same as) double predestination.

This is a tad lengthy to cut and paste so I (unlike others at times) will simply link to the article and allow the author to fully express himself on the topic of Double Predestination.

http://bit.ly/11sctE

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the word teaches that God wishes that all are saved. God has given each one of us the choice to choose our own destinies. the word also teaches that God says that there is life and death in the world and that we should choose life. just these 2 verses should be enough to show us that we are not predestined by omission.

God bless

Hezekiah

Oct 30, 2012
I don't fully know all the theology on these verses, but they seem to say something different to me than they seem to be saying to you.

Eph 1:4 it seems you think the 'us' in this verse is 'people whom God chooses. I see it as those who are in Christ (those who chose CHrist)

Eph 1:5 same as verse 4

Eph 1:11 it seems you think it's saying the people have been predestined, I think its saying the inheritance is predestined to the people who are in Christ. in other words, the people who are in Christ are predestined to an inheritance.

as far as Romans 8:30 goes, you really need to start with 8:29. Those God forknew (who would accept Christ), those, He predestined to be comformed into the image of His Son. ---:30 those He predestined (to be conformed into the image of His Son...) those He called....

I don't believe for a second that it's God's will for any to perish or to be predestined to hell.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

I tend to support the idea of universal reconcillation myself. It makes the most sense to me.
What you are talking about is closely akin (if not entirely the same as) double predestination.

This is a tad lengthy to cut and paste so I (unlike others at times) will simply link to the article and allow the author to fully express himself on the topic of Double Predestination.

http://bit.ly/11sctE

Thank you. I had never read that before.

the word teaches that God wishes that all are saved. God has given each one of us the choice to choose our own destinies. the word also teaches that God says that there is life and death in the world and that we should choose life. just these 2 verses should be enough to show us that we are not predestined by omission.

God bless

So what then is one to do with these scriptures which plainly say otherwise? Just ignore them? Sorry, I refuse to ignore even those scriptures I may not like.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
the word teaches that God wishes that all are saved.

But He has not decreed it to be so, that is why the word is "wish".

It's not the same meaning as our mundane definition, it has a theologic definition as well.

What you are describing is a classical Arminian view of the Decree of God (from Pelagian i.e. Man can save himself, Semi-Pelagian, Arminian, Amyraldian, Infralapsarian, and finally Supralapsarian i.e. Hyper-Calvinism)