Preferred Book of Common Prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i don't use a prayer book. I never had a book to follow when I spoke to my daddy and I don't need one to talk to my Heavenly Father. Prayer books just aren't necessary.

Stitch

Mar 9, 2024
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i don't use a prayer book. I never had a book to follow when I spoke to my daddy and I don't need one to talk to my Heavenly Father. Prayer books just aren't necessary.
I like 1559.

This response seems rather anti-liturgy though.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like 1559.

This response seems rather anti-liturgy though.
The very first followers of Jesus didn't have a liturgy, which is a man made things, so I don't need one either. When I was in the Church of England they swapped from the version you mentioned to the more modern one. But I still use the older version of the Lord's prayer. I believe prayer - talking to God - should be spontaneous and from the heart rather than from a book.

Last edited:
Reactions: lforrest

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think much depends on what we are used to. Change in matters of religious worship can be uncomfortable for some, who tend to favor established way of doing things and resist revisions to the BCP or any other liturgical guide for that reason. I respect that sentiment. But returning to liturgical roots always strikes me as appropriate.

Consider these two liturgical responses:

"The Lord be with you." "And also with you."

The Lord be with you." "And with your spirit."

The latter is the more ancient, and for that reason I tend to favor it.

Reactions: Stitch