Proclaiming the gospel, then and now

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
In the NT period, how was evangelizing done?
The gospel was preached by word of mouth.
And it seems this was usually (always?) accompanied by signs and wonders.

“And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them,
and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.” (Mark 16:20)

“… (the gospel message) was confirmed to us by those who heard Him (Jesus),
God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles,
and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)

The new believers joined churches where they received more word-of-mouth training.

Today, how is evangelizing done?
The gospel is preached by word of mouth.
Pentecostals/Charismatics, here and abroad, do their best to preach the gospel with signs and wonders.

In these meetings, people don’t become believers by reading gospel tracts or NTs.
They respond to the spoken word and the confirming signs, as in NT times.
The new believers join churches where they receive more word-of-mouth training,
and also written materials, which help them grow.

Today, when evangelists preach the gospel …
how does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything?
The preaching and the saving is all done verbally.

Why should evangelists no longer desire the benefit of confirming signs and wonders?

Why would the Lord want to change His tried-and-true method of evangelizing?

Those of you who are cessaniansts, please explain this to me.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Why should evangelists no longer desire the benefit of confirming signs and wonders?

Could you please provide me with examples of 10 evangelists in modern day who exhibit signs and wonders ?

I hear the phrase used continually .... but I never see anyone provide evidence of it.

Thank you.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel is love.

Presenting knowledge about Jesus, the disciples, the early days of the church, and the development of doctrine in the NT is supposed to illustrate and give us insight into the gospel. Jesus's death on the Cross is the ultimate act of love - which He stated in John 15:13

Limiting the gospel to just the knowledge of doctrine is missing the point. In fact it can be idolatrous - like mistaking the Bible for God.

Reactions: IanLC

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Proclaiming the gospel is best done through the witness of a church that is actually walking in the Spirit and doing what Jesus is doing.

Reactions: IanLC

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
In other words you are unable to provide the names of ten living evangelists who exhibit signs and wonders.
Sounds like you are saying you cannot provide me with examples of 10 evangelists in modern day who exhibit signs and wonders

Doesn't sound like, old buddy, old pal, it really is!
I can't even provide one!
'Cause I'm not interested in that.
See da facts of the matter in da next thread.
Hope you don't cry yourself to sleep too many nights.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Proclaiming the gospel is best done through the witness of a church that is actually walking in the Spirit and doing what Jesus is doing.

By all means, if you find yourself alone, don't think that you have no witness or cannot walk in the Spirit and have a life-changing impact on souls.

The Gospel is best proclaimed by those who are faithful to the Lord. This has been the history of the Church from the beginning.

1Co_2:4 And my speech and my (not our) preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

Though none go with me, still I will follow.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Arnie,

What do you accept as a sign or a wonder? Would someone being healed of AIDS count for you, or are you looking for a parting of the river Jordan?

If you want to hear about today's miracles, I suggest you subscribe to Open Doors' literature, and follow Jackie Pullinger-To's ministry. I don't think you'll hear about the inside stories by reading a webpage, but the email newletter might be an eye-opener. The only comment I would make is, they are so used to a steady stream of miracles, I'm not sure what will be mentioned.

http://www.opendoorsusa.org/

http://www.ststephenssociety.com/ The drug rehab link is interesting.

There are definitely effective evangels going where the Lord sends them.

Reactions: Axehead

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
John 20:
[sup]30 [/sup]And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book;
[sup]31 [/sup]but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ,
the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
As Paul Harvey would say, and now, "the rest of the story".
In this case its the verse just before the story,
John 20:29

[sup]30 [/sup]And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples,
[sup]31 [/sup]but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ,

God's precious Scriptures are of no value to those who don't believe them!

Now that I've thought about it it's not simply "the rest of the story"
It should be both the beginning and the end of the conversation.

But we should bear-up our fellow brethren and pray they not be lead away from the flock by signs.

Like Dragonfly has done by pointing them towards true christian fellowship. That's the sign I see, the wisdom of God at work.
That does more for my faith than seeing a mountain thrown into the sea. Teaching and guiding the sheep of His hand.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Hi Arnie,

What do you accept as a sign or a wonder? Would someone being healed of AIDS count for you, or are you looking for a parting of the river Jordan?

If you want to hear about today's miracles, I suggest you subscribe to Open Doors' literature, and follow Jackie Pullinger-To's ministry. I don't think you'll hear about the inside stories by reading a webpage, but the email newletter might be an eye-opener. The only comment I would make is, they are so used to a steady stream of miracles, I'm not sure what will be mentioned.

http://www.opendoorsusa.org/

http://www.ststephenssociety.com/ The drug rehab link is interesting.

There are definitely effective evangels going where the Lord sends them.

She (Jackie Pullinger-To) has an amazing and inspiring testimony but we serve an amazing God!

Introduction
Telling the Story
Links and Books
Quotes
Following Today

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
John 20:
[sup]31 [/sup]but these (signs) are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ,

How can anyone think that signs, wonders, and miracles
have not helped people believe in Jesus and His "foolish" gospel message?

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
In the NT period, how was evangelizing done?
The gospel was preached by word of mouth.
And it seems this was usually (always?) accompanied by signs and wonders.

“And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them,
and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.” (Mark 16:20)

“… (the gospel message) was confirmed to us by those who heard Him (Jesus),
God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles,
and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will” (Hebrews 1:3-4)

The new believers joined churches where they received more word-of-mouth training.

Today, how is evangelizing done?
The gospel is preached by word of mouth.
Pentecostals/Charismatics, here and abroad, do their best to preach the gospel with signs and wonders.

In these meetings, people don’t become believers by reading gospel tracts or NTs.
They respond to the spoken word and the confirming signs, as in NT times.
The new believers join churches where they receive more word-of-mouth training,
and also written materials, which help them grow.

Today, when evangelists preach the gospel …
how does them having the completed canon of Scripture change anything?
The preaching and the saving is all done verbally.

Why would the Lord want to change His tried-and-true method of evangelizing?

Those of you who are cessaniansts, please explain this to me.

A God given Evangelist WILL have a signs following Ministry, As a Biblical Evangelist has the gifts of healings and the working of miracles.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
19 Then Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. [sup]2 [/sup]Now behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus who was a chief tax collector, and he was rich. [sup]3 [/sup]And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature. [sup]4 [/sup]So he ran ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way.

[sup]5 [/sup]And when Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him,[sup][a][/sup] and said to him, “Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house.” [sup]6 [/sup]So he made haste and came down, and received Him joyfully. [sup]7 [/sup]But when they saw it, they all complained, saying, “He has gone to be a guest with a man who is a sinner.”
[sup]8 [/sup]Then Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.”
[sup]9 [/sup]And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; [sup]10 [/sup]for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I have that same desire to see people saved by the masses, people receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit with the fruit and gifts, and people's witness being on fire. The generations before us exhibited a firery witness and they drew people by their changed lives and powerful testimonies! They really believed in the God they read about and heard preach to them! They believed everything in the Bible was true the gifts and all. They also had powerful prayer lives and knew how to pray Heaven down and Hell out. Being of the Pentecostal-Holiness persuasion in my time I have seen bodies healed, people saved, alcoholics, prostitutes and others come to church and get delivered, and the power of the Holy Spirit moved. The older saints had a deep love of God and walked under such a power of the Holy Ghost that you could feel it before even touch them. Yet with all the glory they were humble people of intense prayer and personal holiness.

Reactions: dragonfly