Prophecy/End Times ... Teachers/Resources

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a topic I'm gaining a lot of interest in. Went through a Sunday School class last year that covered the book of Daniel.

For those who are learned in this area … or someone whose even just read one good book on this topic … who are the top 5 to 7 teachers in this area in your view point. Outside the Bible what resources have you found beneficial in understanding what is in the Bible.

I've googled and have come up with some interesting links … not to be lazy but if I can get a jump start by reading some quality teaching it will help me weed out the not so good stuff.

Would love to find a seminar on this where multiple speakers come in that may or may not have different views on it.

Thanks in advance.

As to the best teachers on the book of (Daniel), much would depend on your method of Bible interpretation.

I believe that the 'dispensational teaching' is the best to understand both (Daniel) and (Revelation).

Are you familiar with that?

Stranger

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to the best teachers on the book of (Daniel), ...

... if they purport ancient fulfillments, then keep moving. The angel said:

12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”
9 He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are shut up and sealed until the time of the end.

If you're not hearing fulfillments approximate to 1948, there's nothing to listen to, -- unless you like lies.
Bobby Jo

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... if they purport ancient fulfillments, then keep moving. The angel said:

12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”
9 He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are shut up and sealed until the time of the end.

If you're not hearing fulfillments approximate to 1948, there's nothing to listen to, -- unless you like lies.
Bobby Jo

But you're not the angel. And your words have little value to me.

Stranger

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
As to the best teachers on the book of (Daniel), much would depend on your method of Bible interpretation.

I believe that the 'dispensational teaching' is the best to understand both (Daniel) and (Revelation).

Are you familiar with that?

Stranger
The Scripture says that in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. This is good advice when studying the prophetic books of the Bible. Reading and studying a range of authors gives a good idea of the good, bad, and ugly commentaries, and enables to pick the meat from the bones in each one, as one compares what the commentator is writing to what the Scripture is saying.

When I did my M.Div, I needed to read the range of the principal authorities on the topic I was researching, commented on each one, and then wrote my own conclusion. This is what has to happen with doing a PhD. One has to read every single book, and article ever written on the topic. For example, if I was to do a PhD on the first and second resurrection in the last days, I would have to find and read every single piece of literature that has been written on it. That is why it can take more than five years to complete a PhD, because four and a half years of it is reading all the available literature, reviewing it, collating it, writing a complete survey of it, and only then be able to write the first draft of the doctorate thesis. If I left out any principal piece of important literature, and I submitted the thesis for grading, I get very well get it returned to me with the instructions to fully complete my research because what I had submitted was only at Mastorate level and not doctorate level.

I am saying this because one who reads a commentary containing his own theological bias (for example pre-trib) and ignores all other commentaries, he is showing bias and not a complete understanding of all the different theological positions concerning if, where, or when the tribulation happens. Of course, after one surveys the range of theological literature and comes to the same conclusion, then that is different, and is better able to justify his theological stance and defend it from a sound foundation of knowledge.

But the most unreliable is the one who takes a verse of Scripture and writes his own commentary on it and says it is the whole truth. All he does is to show his glaring ignorance of Scripture knowledge and maturity.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scripture says that in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. This is good advice when studying the prophetic books of the Bible. Reading and studying a range of authors gives a good idea of the good, bad, and ugly commentaries, and enables to pick the meat from the bones in each one, as one compares what the commentator is writing to what the Scripture is saying.

When I did my M.Div, I needed to read the range of the principal authorities on the topic I was researching, commented on each one, and then wrote my own conclusion. This is what has to happen with doing a PhD. One has to read every single book, and article ever written on the topic. For example, if I was to do a PhD on the first and second resurrection in the last days, I would have to find and read every single piece of literature that has been written on it. That is why it can take more than five years to complete a PhD, because four and a half years of it is reading all the available literature, reviewing it, collating it, writing a complete survey of it, and only then be able to write the first draft of the doctorate thesis. If I left out any principal piece of important literature, and I submitted the thesis for grading, I get very well get it returned to me with the instructions to fully complete my research because what I had submitted was only at Mastorate level and not doctorate level.

I am saying this because one who reads a commentary containing his own theological bias (for example pre-trib) and ignores all other commentaries, he is showing bias and not a complete understanding of all the different theological positions concerning if, where, or when the tribulation happens. Of course, after one surveys the range of theological literature and comes to the same conclusion, then that is different, and is better able to justify his theological stance and defend it from a sound foundation of knowledge.

But the most unreliable is the one who takes a verse of Scripture and writes his own commentary on it and says it is the whole truth. All he does is to show his glaring ignorance of Scripture knowledge and maturity.

As I said, the best teachers or commentaries would depend on your method of Bible interpretation.

I believe the Dispensational teaching is the best to understand both (Daniel) and (Revelation), and the whole of the Bible for that matter.

Stranger

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh" (Matthew 24:36-44).

So, if Jesus doesn't know when the Father will tell Him to return, how come do you think you know better than He does?

Tru dat!
The Son will know the moment God speaks it. And, even if we can know the "season" but not the day, what would it matter or change? Are we not to be ready regardless??? Is it to NOT take "us" by surprise?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
As I said, the best teachers or commentaries would depend on your method of Bible interpretation.

I believe the Dispensational teaching is the best to understand both (Daniel) and (Revelation), and the whole of the Bible for that matter.

Stranger
If I wanted to find the range and depth of teaching about Daniel and Revelation, I would go to my favourite second hand bookshop and buy up every book I could find on them and compare what each author wrote with the Biblical record. Then I would have a good idea about which authors, in my opinion, would be closest in their interpretation of Daniel and Revelation. No one author is going to be perfect, and studying the range of authors would help to adopt a theological position that is right for me.

But my particular theology might not be right for others, because we all live in different cultural and developmental environments, therefore it is important to be teachable (not pliable) so that if someone comes along with a view that better fits the spirit or teaching of Scripture we would be better willing to accept that they might have something to add to our knowledge. An unteachable person arrogantly holds to their narrow theological view, taking the attitude that they are right and the rest of the theological world is wrong. They are usually taller than me, so when I look up at them it gives me a pain in the neck!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I wanted to find the range and depth of teaching about Daniel and Revelation, I would go to my favourite second hand bookshop and buy up every book I could find on them and compare what each author wrote with the Biblical record. Then I would have a good idea about which authors, in my opinion, would be closest in their interpretation of Daniel and Revelation. No one author is going to be perfect, and studying the range of authors would help to adopt a theological position that is right for me.

But my particular theology might not be right for others, because we all live in different cultural and developmental environments, therefore it is important to be teachable (not pliable) so that if someone comes along with a view that better fits the spirit or teaching of Scripture we would be better willing to accept that they might have something to add to our knowledge. An unteachable person arrogantly holds to their narrow theological view, taking the attitude that they are right and the rest of the theological world is wrong. They are usually taller than me, so when I look up at them it gives me a pain in the neck!

As I said, the best teachers or commentaries would depend on your method of interpretation.

I believe the Dispensational method is the best to understand both (Daniel) and (Revelation), as well as all the Bible.

Stranger